• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lowbudgetsnob

Reaction score
What do you think of Barker shoes. Not Barker Black, please. I've heard the sizing is off; that they're not for every foot.

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
Considering British shoes alone I've currently 4 pairs Barkers (2 Oxfords) and 2 pairs of Churches and as a direct comparison conclude Barkers are good value.

The new Barker heals wear and need replacing quickly, but thereon 3 out of 4 have been hard wearing.

I like Barkers Flex and for my feet are more comfortable than Churches, although don't look as good as classic Oxfords.

I'd conclude 2 pairs Barkers is better value than 1 pair Churches, price-wise there're marginally more expensive.

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
^^ Re-think the above. I have just had a pair of Barkers returned from the cobblers (a new pair of Barkers Flex). The cobbler says the material building the gap between the heal and the leather uppers was 'condensed cardboard', and says the reason is it keeps the show lighter. The problem with the material is if the shoes become damaged the cardboard can get waterlogged. I am not sure whether this extends throughout the shoe.

I have Barkers bought over several years and it is the first time this was ever said. I believe this is a recent change in shoe construction and I hope it can be corrected with a 'through sole and heal'.

I cannot hide my disappointment and in the future will focus on Chenies (the British shoemaker now controlled by the old Churches company) and Churches (now controlled by Prada). I am told that Churches shoes are still made in the UK.

At least the cobbler was an honest man.

Last edited:

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a couple of Barker Oxford from their Handgrade collection a few years ago (the model name is Lincoln). The were about £220 when I bought them and I would say that was a fair price. They have held up very well, and I would say that they represent good value for money. They are of course nowhere near the quality of my Edward Green's and are also noticeably different in quality from my Tricker's - then again these shoes are either 300% or 50% more expensive. The cheaper lines of Barker I have no idea about.

Re: sizes - I wear 10.5 in most shoes but for my Barker I had to settle for 9.5, so the sizing does indeed seem a bit off.

Last edited:

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
^^ Very glad to hear this: I pay £170 .. and suggests it is worth investing a few bucks more, although Russell and Bromley charge >£200 for the same thing.

Good advice for the future, go for the handgrade quality.

I've a pair of classic Oxfords in for repair and will ask about their construction.

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know Barker doesn't get a lot of love around here on SF, but I would say they are on par with other makes in the same price range - Loake 1880, Herring Classic etc - no worse, no better. With shoes you definitely get what you pay for......

Macallan

Reaction score
My only experience with Barkers is a pair of Arnold purchased six years ago. The sole did last longer then I expected; however, not worth resoling.

If on a tight budget or starting out, they are worth considering; however, I would rather spend a bit more on Cheaney.

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
Historically I would strongly argue Barkers are better than Loakes. Loakes however currently saturate several cobblers shops in the central London area.

The account of a pair of Barkers 'falling to pieces' is an experience I have had too.

Cheaney is a very high quality shoe and now more than ever. There is no dispute here.

Size issue: sizing is a bit odd, but just turn up to the store and see what fits.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you think of Barker shoes. Not Barker Black, please.  I've heard the sizing is off; that they're not for every foot.

I've owned two pairs of Barker's in the past.

In my experience, they tend to have a bit of a wider fit as their standard fit, so they might not suit narrow feet. Leather quality is fairly mediocre, so the shoes show creasing a bit more than some others. I think that the quality of Loake's 1880 range is slightly higher but Barker are fine for someone who wants to start a shoe collection without parting with too much money.

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
Leather quality is fairly mediocre, so the shoes show creasing a bit more than some others.
This is resolved in their 'Flex' range: They use a soft leather in an Oxford style shoe between the 'toe cap' and the 'heal cap'. The soft leather doesn't crease, i.e. where the ball of the foot pivots, and is highly durable. For black Oxfords it doesn't look as crisp as a formal business shoe, otherwise ok.

Hacking jacket

Reaction score
Here's my Barker's Flex, with charcoal Armani pearl windowpane pants and Burlington socks.

Point is the shiny front and rear 'caps' and the connecting matt soft leather minimising creasing. They are a perfect fit and its not a bad concept in shoe design.

Last edited:

atia2

Reaction score
Never owned a pair, but I stopped by the Barker shop at the corner of Jermyn St / Princes Arcade and I must say their high-end collection (Heritage or Anniversary or some such word) was quite impressive. I would say on a par with the Cheaney Imperial range but a fraction cheaper. The standard-issue Barker shoes I would place a notch above Loake (also in Princes Arcade).

katastrofa

Reaction score
Do you know what type of leather they use in each collection? I tried asking in their Regent Street store, but the salespeople of course didn't know anything and told me "you should be working here", no joke.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's my Barker's Flex, with charcoal Armani pearl windowpane pants and Burlington socks. Point is the shiny front and rear 'caps' and the connecting matt soft leather minimising creasing. They are a perfect fit and its not a bad concept in shoe design.
lol, you wear those things and call Tyrwhitt shirts poor. talk about cognitive dissonance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads