• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amazing RAF WWII-Era Vintage Overcoat Find(with piccy goodness)

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're talking about genuine greatcoats, as in what the term technically refers to, then no; you would be out of fashion by about a century and a half.

TrojanGarb

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old post,

These coats interest me and I'm wondering if anyone has more information to share about military overcoats and such. Are all of the military overcoats going to look similar, if not identical?

How would a US army coat like this on on ebay look
http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-US-Army-Woo...QQcmdZViewItem
Is it the same but just in brown? Or did RAF just have that much more fashion put into their uniforms?
smile.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
It's standard issue vs. Gieves bespoke. You won't have anything like the same waist suppression or construction detail. I'm sure the quality is quite good, though, and it looks in good shape. 32 oz. is heavy.

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
As an ex-Gunner of the RAF Regiment (II Field Squadron Airborne) and as this thread has recently been resuscitated I'd just like to adress some of the inaccuracies mentioned earlier in the thread.

1. The stripes on arm/unit/regimental ties in the UK can go in either direction. In fact, most Royal Navy ties go in the less common direction i.e top right to bottom left as do those of some British Army regiments.

2. RAF buttons, RN, RM or BA buttons are not "earned". They are part of issued kit.
My RAF Regiment shoulder bars were earned, my rifleman's badge was earned. Buttons are not earned and especially not on any coat issued before 1960 when National Service was still in. Or even earlier during the conscription of the Second World War.

3. UK legislation on the wearing of British military uniforms bascially only proscribes the following:

A. No person may wear in public the FULL uniform of a military unit that they do not belong to. Unless they are performing on stage or other place in a public performance.
B. Regimental badges, names and numbers may not be worn in public by any person not entitled to wear them. Markings of RANK as individual items aren't named by the legislation but it would be wise to remove them anyway

The wearing of individual military items such as coats, hats, jackets and with associated buttons and badges has never been prohibited under this legislation.

Also bear in mind that many children and grandchildren since the end of the Second World War have worn their mums' & dads' and even grandparents' old coats. This has always been quite common, and was especially common in the 70s.

In addition, the Public Order Acts of 1936 and 89 prohibit political parties and other organisations from adopting and wearing military or military style uniforms in public. The section in the 36 act of course was brought in because of Mosely and his mob.

Bottom line, the wearing of an RAF coat with its issued buttons is not an offence and is unlikely to cause offence to ex or serving personnel. However, nowadays in the UK, if you're in uniform you risk getting spat at or attacked by various elements of society, from looney lefties to fanatical Muslims to happy slapping chavs to pissheads rolling out of a pub! As reported in the news in the last year or so, especially in Peterborough. The station commander at nearby RAF Wittering prohibited his personnel from wearing uniform into town, for their own safety.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spirit of 69
As an ex-Gunner of the RAF Regiment (II Field Squadron Airborne) and as this thread has recently been resuscitated I'd just like to adress some of the inaccuracies mentioned earlier in the thread.

1. The stripes on arm/unit/regimental ties in the UK can go in either direction. In fact, most Royal Navy ties go in the less common direction i.e top right to bottom left as do those of some British Army regiments.

2. RAF buttons, RN, RM or BA buttons are not "earned". They are part of issued kit.
My RAF Regiment shoulder bars were earned, my rifleman's badge was earned. Buttons are not earned and especially not on any coat issued before 1960 when National Service was still in. Or even earlier during the conscription of the Second World War.

3. UK legislation on the wearing of British military uniforms bascially only proscribes the following:

A. No person may wear in public the FULL uniform of a military unit that they do not belong to. Unless they are performing on stage or other place in a public performance.
B. Regimental badges, names and numbers may not be worn in public by any person not entitled to wear them. Markings of RANK as individual items aren't named by the legislation but it would be wise to remove them anyway

The wearing of individual military items such as coats, hats, jackets and with associated buttons and badges has never been prohibited under this legislation.

Also bear in mind that many children and grandchildren since the end of the Second World War have worn their mums' & dads' and even grandparents' old coats. This has always been quite common, and was especially common in the 70s.

In addition, the Public Order Acts of 1936 and 89 prohibit political parties and other organisations from adopting and wearing military or military style uniforms in public. The section in the 36 act of course was brought in because of Mosely and his mob.

Bottom line, the wearing of an RAF coat with its issued buttons is not an offence and is unlikely to cause offence to ex or serving personnel. However, nowadays in the UK, if you're in uniform you risk getting spat at or attacked by various elements of society, from looney lefties to fanatical Muslims to happy slapping chavs to pissheads rolling out of a pub! As reported in the news in the last year or so, especially in Peterborough. The station commander at nearby RAF Wittering prohibited his personnel from wearing uniform into town, for their own safety.

worship.gif

hackerryan

Reaction score
i have an original RAF WWII officers trench coat, that has it's 70th year anniversary with the Air Training Cadets 130 Bournemouth Sqn this year, i was looking to sell it on...could anyone possibly tell me how much im lookin at getting for it? and any offers? XD

wmb

Reaction score
what a difference with current military styles. there was an appeal ( possibly wrong to make it appealing) to military clothing then that set style... now who wants to wear military clothing in a non military situation except some strange character storing guns in his basement...

The appeal to women of a man in uniform must be gone -- I have some great old photos of my dad in his navy white offocers uniform that are very elegant.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmb
what a difference with current military styles. there was an appeal ( possibly wrong to make it appealing) to military clothing then that set style... now who wants to wear military clothing in a non military situation except some strange character storing guns in his basement...

The appeal to women of a man in uniform must be gone -- I have some great old photos of my dad in his navy white offocers uniform that are very elegant.

I'm only 17, so I don't really know much about anything, but I had a question along these lines.

Nowadays whenever you see soldiers traveling, in airports, etc. They're always wearing combat boots, camo, etc. For some reason I thought they used to wear nicer "dress" uniforms when traveling around?

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
Utilities are much more comfortable for travel., and the decision on what uniform to wear (Uniform of the Day) is usually prescribed by CO's office

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, pretty cool.

I've always wanted a coat like that, actually saw a russian officer army surplus one very similar to this on the net, but wasn't sure about the sizing before I bought it.

JDL

Reaction score
Pedant mode on/

RAF Squadron Leader (= Major / Lt Cmdr) not squadron captain

/Pedant mode off

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads