• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attolini suit incident

Dr Gyggle

Reaction score
My darling wife tipped her full glass of Nero d'Avola over my fairly new Attolini jacket AND pants yesterday afternoon.
After putting them through on the gentle cycle with a short spin, they have come out slightly shrunken and the fabric a shade darker and rougher than when they went in.

Is there anything I can do to salvage the situation? (Divorce from the ***** is taken as read).

Ebay? Charity?

kali77

Reaction score
I don't think there is much you can do to remedy the situation at this point. In the future you are much better off taking the suit to a dry cleaner ASAP. Or if you own a steamer, give a real good cleaning yourself. Sorry to hear about your suit.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about this. I wish you had not put it in the washer...that limits the options. Do you have a high quality cleaner you can take it to?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time machine.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Time machine.

laugh.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn, dude, don't you know not to put suits in the washer? I've spilled things on a cashmere jacket before and one of the nice things is that it's very hard for the liquid to penetrate. When this has happened to me I made a very abrupt movement so that I could make sure the liquid ran off the jacket.

Usually you can very lightly apply an absorbant paper towel overtop of it while avoiding to put any pressure (you don't want to force the liquid into the fibers). After that, take it to the cleaners. If it was in the evening and at risk of being a bad stain if allowed to set, I'd probably put it in a bucket of COLD water overnight and take it to the cleaners while still wet first thing in the morning at which point you could tell them exactly what you spilled on it. With cashmere i've never had to resort to this since it's so repellant.

If you're wearing attolini suits you need to find someone that will care for them properly. The one I use pre-treats everything and then does all the pressing by hand afterwards. You want to be prepared before the emergency!

mussel

Reaction score
I remember reading NY Magazine there's a 24/7 emergency dry cleaning service. One phone call, they'd pickup anywhere south of 110th street within 30 minutes and dry clean the stained articles right away. They're especially busy during fall/winter fund raising event seasons. They charge an arm and a leg.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mussel
I remember reading NY Magazine there's a 24/7 emergency dry cleaning service. One phone call, they'd pickup anywhere south of 110th street within 30 minutes and dry clean the stained articles right away. They're especially busy during fall/winter fund raising event seasons. They charge an arm and a leg.

Well, if your suit is worth 5k, it's probably worth the hundred bucks or whatever they charge to save it. I'd definitely pay.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Time machine.

laugh.gif

Maybe still waiting for the ebay seller to send it off.

And Nero d'Avola? A decent Brunello or something French and old is a different matter.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Gyggle
My darling wife tipped her full glass of Nero d'Avola over my fairly new Attolini jacket AND pants yesterday afternoon.
After putting them through on the gentle cycle with a short spin, they have come out slightly shrunken and the fabric a shade darker and rougher than when they went in.

Is there anything I can do to salvage the situation? (Divorce from the ***** is taken as read).

Ebay? Charity?

RULE 1: NEVER, EVER MACHINE WASH TAILORED CLOTHING. That's why there's a dry cleaner at every corner (at least in NYC).

It's beyond repair.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you deserve a share of the blame. I think maybe 30%.

It's kinda like if you see a guy being hit by a bus, then goes over to him and throw him into a lake. WTF were you thinking?

JordanB

Reaction score
I still can't figure out why putting the suit in the washer instead of sending it to the dry cleaner seemed like a good idea.

That being said, try Meurice Garment Care (www.meuricegarmentcare.com). They're wizards, although this seems beyond hopeless.

One question: did the stains come out after the wash?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
im sorry for posting this incessant response,

but you put your suit jacket in the washing machine??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/

i cannot believe this. i cannot believe this.

yes, your sweet wife accidentally spills some wine on your jacket, BUT you put your jacket inside the washing machine???????

oh mY GOD!

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How is it that you get this far in life yet don't know that a suit doesn't go into a washing machine?

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads