• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some non-traditional footwear choices with jeans, comments?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So getting away from trainers or the usual black/brown plain chelsea boot or chukka aesthetic or even other less typical choices like Sperry's and brogued chelseas, I was thinking about what people thought about some other types of footwear. I'm mostly posting this because I'd like to get a bit more mileage out of shoes that I'd normally wear only for business. As I have about 15-20 pairs of EG/Lobb/C&J/Grenson/CT/etc... that I don't wear that much, it seems like they might work with some streetwear outfits.

So for a fairly conservative choice, I think these would work fairly well, but aren't particularly interesting.
boots2iv3.jpg

Would something like the C&Js or Grensons be considered trying too hard with a mostly casual outfit? (polo/jeans or the like, no dress shirt)

cb_1.JPG

How about monkstraps?

ef_1.JPG

Or ankle boots?

12_1.JPG

Lastly, is this look trying too hard? I have a pair of Gucci loafers that I almost never wear, and I have a hard time finding a situation in which I would wear them that wasn't casual.

Y3002A.JPG

Not Carl

Reaction score
Those John Lobb ankle boots are beautiful.

Personally i think ankle boots look fantastic with jeans. And as long as the jeans fall on them right the Grensons and C&Js can be worn casually in my opinion.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah wow, those JL ankle boots would look great with a pair of jeans.

-Jeff

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my monk strap ankle boots... or are they chukkas?... look great with jeans, as do my vintage plain toe oxford cordovans.

anything can look good with jeans if you feel it... if you doubt, then it will look horrible

Reaction score
i am wearing black alden ankle boots with jeans as i type this. the commando sole makes it feel a bit more street. (ddml stock photo below)
boots2rr1.jpg
those JL ankle boots are beauties.

familyman

Reaction score
Could you post a few pictures of those shoes on your feet with jeans on? I don't think any but the top shoes will really work. They're an elegant shoe and denim just isn't. Too much of a contrast. Not picking on denim either as I don't think they would work for the most part with heavy cords or moleskins either. With the right jeans, very dressy jeans that have just the perfect sized opening they would work but the outfit would have to be fairly dressy which defeats the whole purpose of the exercise. If you beat the hell out of the shoes for 20 years they would work much better.
smile.gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
The ankle boots will absolutely work; the rest (aside from the top pair) seem like it would be a case-by-case thing. I think it would depend heavily on the jeans and the rest of the outfit, but in theory I could see all of them working.

familyman

Reaction score
I honestly don't think that the ankle boot is any more appropriate than the other shoes. Just because you make an elegant shoe taller doens't take away from it's beautiful lines. You could more easily wear that boot with a suit than with jeans.

minya

Reaction score
everything you listed but the first (god those are ugly!) and the last (loafers ugh!) would work well with jeans.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll try to see if I can get some pics, for most of the nicer shoes I'm pretty sure I'd go with a more dressy jean like RB6.bs, PDC GTO 1 years, or 5EP straights in resin, rather than something more worn in, but I would consider wearing them with my 5EP worns as well.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I think all those shoes can be worn with jeans, altho I'm not fond of the gucci loafers. The boots are phenomenal, I'd be wearing those with jeans every other day. The top shoes are very jean-y but imo kinda ugly. The rest are dependent on what else you're wearing, but do-able.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I'll show you how to pull off fuccis, but those are the wrong type and ugly I might add.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JET
I'll show you how to pull off fuccis, but those are the wrong type and ugly I might add.

Yeah, I think those particular Gucci with jeans throw off too much of a HK/Taiwan vibe. I have some 70s vintage Guccis in alligator that are awesome with jeans but wondered what to make of the ones I posted. The actual ones I have don't have the seam stitching and a bit more chiseled toe, they're actually a bit cooler.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads