• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's wrong with my MTM suit jacket?

jeremygo

Reaction score
Belgium… 😅
There are SuitSupply stores in Antwerp, Brussels, and Hasselt. They can likely help you get a tux ASAP if that's what you want.

There's also a Pini Parma in Brussels. Not sure if they have tuxes but I believe they have a good reputation for the same general price range.

michaelvl

Reaction score
Belgium… 😅
Suitsupply offers alterations on their RTW suits between immediate (30 minutes) and a max of 3 days. They have multiple tailors on site. Their suits look very decent, imho much, much better than what you have posted. Quite frankly, what you posted looks rather terrible. There should be a few of their stores in Belgium or otherwise drive across the border to the Netherlands, we have plenty of their stores over here. Just don't come this Saturday because it is Kings day, a public holiday and their stores will likely be closed then.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suitsupply offers alterations on their RTW suits between immediate (30 minutes) and a max of 3 days. They have multiple tailors on site. Their suits look very decent, imho much, much better than what you have posted. Quite frankly, what you posted looks rather terrible. There should be a few of their stores in Belgium or otherwise drive across the border to the Netherlands, we have plenty of their stores over here. Just don't come this Saturday because it is Kings day, a public holiday and their stores will likely be closed then.

Given your timeframe I very much agree with trying SuitSupply. One note of caution— the sales associates, at least those I’ve met in the US, seem to be trained to fit people into suits one size too small, leading to some of the same short/tight problems I’m seeing here. Be sure that the jacket length is correct and that the trousers have enough width that the fabric can hang straight down instead of clinging to your legs.

J.A.G

Reaction score
OK, enough doom and gloom. Clearly you do not want to wear a traditional black tuxedo, you want to wear this one that you had custom made to match your wedding party. In addition, you are in your 30’s, not your 60’s, and you want the fit to look like men your age are looking in mass media and advertising. It may look tight and short to us old guys, but you are dressing for your wife and friends, not us old guys, so since you are happy with the length, just embrace it. Wear it with confidence, the most important requirement to looking good on your wedding day.

That said, I agree that the jacket looks too small in the chest in these pics. The pulling apart at the rear vent and creases next to lapels in the front and popping out at bottom front all seems to indicate that. You said when it first arrived you had it taken in and only partially let back out - I would recommend taking it back to your tailor and asking his professional advice. I suspect your tailor had it correctly sized when it first arrived, and that he will think it should go back to initial size or even larger. I would follow your tailors advice here - his goal is to get you a good fit, so make use of his experience. Don’t even discuss the arms or anything else - it isn’t necessary and there isn’t time.

I would also have the pants legs let out to the extent possible, but that is presumably how you ordered the pants. It would not work for me, but I’m not in my 30s, and I’m not the one getting married. If you like the tighter fit, then again, simply embrace it. Congratulations and enjoy your wedding and honeymoon!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My wife is from Namur
Feedback in this thread will probably match the perception of your guests.
I don’t see the styling or color of the tux to represent a traditional, formal wedding.
I would choose to look elegant and sophisticated for a special event like this.
You are the center of attention regardless of what you wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads