• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best off-the-rack suits

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
We had this discussion a few months ago, but I would say:

1st tier:
Kiton
Brioni
Borrelli
Attolini
Oxxford
(Bijan?)

2nd tier:
Barbera
RLPL
St Andrews
Isaia
Zegna Napoli
Belvest
D'Avenza(sp?)

3rd tier:
Canali
Corneliani
Baldessarini
Armani Black label
Zegna (regular label)
Vestamenta

4th tier:
RL Blue/Black Label
Armani Collezioni
Hugo Boss

Rankings in groups are approximately in order.

I concur, except that I've never had experience with Bijan -- and not interested in changing that -- so really can't comment on it.

timeless

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LARon
Attolini is represented by Borrelli, whose suits are made by Attolini.
Are you sure that Borrelli suits are made by Attolini? I think they are now manufacturing their garments in house. Maybe Soph knows for sure.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be good if we could polish this to the point of sticking it or putting it on the Wiki or something. Here are my (presumably hopelessly confused) notes just from reading the archives (0.5 steps are fuzzier than 1.0 steps): 0.5st Tier: Attolini, Oxxford, Kiton 1st Tier: Attolini/Sartorio, Attolini/Sartoria, Isaia/Gianluca, Brioni, Zegna/Napoli, Isaia/Enrico 2nd Tier: Boss/Baldessarini, Canali/Exclusive, Ralph Lauren/Purple Label, Belvest, Barbera, Borrelli, D'Avenza, Pal Zileri/Sartoriale, Cantarelli, Ravazzolo, Nervesa, Castangia, Cifonelli, St. Andrews 2.5th Tier: Hickey Freeman, Neiman Marcus/Marcus, Donna Karan/Couture 3rd Tier: Armani/Classico, Canali, Zegna/Ermenegildo, Pal Zileri, Armani/Black Label, Vestimenta, Samuelsohn 3.5th Tier: Cerruti/1881 (not Nina), Corneliani, Gucci 4th Tier: Armani/Collezioni, Ralph Lauren/Polo, Pal Zileri/Gruppo, Armani/Emporio 5th Tier: Armani/Mani, Boss/Boss, Canali/Proposta, Pal Zileri/Pull, Zegna/Soft, Strellson, Isaia/Napoli 6th Tier: Ralph Lauren/others

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
It would be good if we could polish this to the point of sticking it or putting it on the Wiki or something. Here are my (presumably hopelessly confused) notes just from reading the archives (0.5 steps are fuzzier than 1.0 steps):

The problem is that you'd never reach consensus on such a specific ranking. Even trying to compare handwork inevitably ends up mired in a huge argument. For example, I certainly wouldn't put Canali above Corneliani in terms of overall quality; others may disagree. But so much of it aesthetic anyway. I love my Cornelianis, while my sole Oxxford suit sits in the back of my closet.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The problem is that you'd never reach consensus on such a specific ranking. Even trying to compare handwork inevitably ends up mired in a huge argument. For example, I certainly wouldn't put Canali above Corneliani in terms of overall quality; others may disagree. But so much of it aesthetic anyway. I love my Cornelianis, while my sole Oxxford suit sits in the back of my closet.
Of course we couldn't reach an exact consensus, but could we at least reach consensus at a general level? For example, no members would argue with the assertion that an Oxxford is higher quality than a Mani. A specific level is difficult, perhaps j could set up a forum just to be filled with polls on the topic.
laugh.gif
Personally, I don't think it's that important, but if any group of people could come up with a comprehensive ranking it's probably SF. And if a ranking isn't available, won't this be a perennial FAQ?

lockey2k

Reaction score
You could always do it like team balloting where each member ranks brands in order with each vote worth so many points. e.g. first place vote worth 15 pts second place worth 14 etc.

One issue of course is deciding on a final list of candidates.

Another possibility is to have a vote off, where you bracket brands in a head to head. Unfortunately, that may result is some skewed results.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LARon
Attolini is represented by Borrelli, whose suits are made by Attolini.

I don't think that's the case, unless it's a very recent development.

--Andre

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lockey2k
You could always do it like team balloting where each member ranks brands in order with each vote worth so many points. e.g. first place vote worth 15 pts second place worth 14 etc. One issue of course is deciding on a final list of candidates. Another possibility is to have a vote off, where you bracket brands in a head to head. Unfortunately, that may result is some skewed results.
Aw crap, when you put it like that it becomes clear that Arrow's Impossibility Theorem says it can't be done.
frown.gif

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best off the rack suits in my opinion are Canali.

Canali clearly are not the highest quality off the rack suit, but I don't think they can be beat for the price.

If I were going to pay more than it costs for a Canali, I'd buy a bespoke suit. Paying Kiton or Brioni prices for off the rack just doesn't make sense to me when I can get a full bespoke suit for the same (or less) money.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This perplexes me a bit too. I can't see paying Brioni prices when you could go bespoke for that price. I suppose the same is true for Kiton and Oxxford.

The Devil's Hands

Reaction score
I'd say the best you can do for the money is the $400 HF suits you can get from the outlets.

The Devil's Hands

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I agree with you about going bespoke before paying through the nose for RTW.
+1 Seriously, how is a Kiton worth more than, say, an A&S? I mean, fit is the most important thing you pay for, followed by construction, right?

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
Then here's a little more for you. The only suits with less sex appeal than Oxxford are those that the trads salivate over.

Sex appeal isn't in the suit. It's in the man.

Just as most men know that a truly good-looking woman dressed conservatively in tweeds and discreet pearls can be maddeningly attractive compared to a girl in low-cut jeans and high-cut t-shirt revealing tattoos and various bits of metal stuck through her body in an effort to be sexy. Same principle applies to men, I'm pretty sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads