• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zip neck sweater

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Therefore, you're a rapper?

Haha, no, I was referring to the usage of phrases like "poppin' ma colla." Rappers pimp hoes, while I extort prostitutes for money.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
btw, for those of you whoe wear zip neck sweaters underneath sportcoats and hate the fact that most are too hot because they are wool or cashmere, then these zip necks from JCrew are worth considering

they are 90% cotton and 10% cashmere but they look like they're 100% cashmere - so you get the right look, and none of the hotness, while wearing them layered

I bought them during the last sale for $59 each in the brown and light grey colors and they are perfect for the west coast where it never gets very cold

of course these are not Cuccinelli quality, but they are also infinitely more wearable underneath jackets and a 10th of the price

http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product...atId=cat260045

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a dress shirt with any sort of collar if the sweater is a little baggy. Polo shirt or t-shirt if it's more fitted.

I've never tried to put the collar down on that sort of sweater.

I like the quarter zip sweater + tie look in the abstract but I'm afraid it will pill the tie. I've tried it with a the button neck version but I've always felt it looks like I'm trying to be the J Crew sales associate of the month.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be clear, IMO zip + tie only works if there is a sport coat, suit jacket or topcoat. I don't really like the shirt, tie and sweater look with slacks and no jacket... I like the sweater to come in as an extra layer in an otherwise quite traditional shirt/tie/jacket outfit.

JR88 - I don't see this as trendy at all. I saw men in Milan 15 years ago wearing zip sweaters with shirts and tie. I still see that look there. Seems like a fairly classic look to me, definitely not "trendy"

KBW

Reaction score
niccccccceeeeee1.jpg

Peter Millar cashmere zip sweater with polo tie and custom pants at my last football game this past weekend (sorry for the poor quality)

JR88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I saw men in Milan 15 years ago wearing zip sweaters with shirts and tie. I still see that look there. Seems like a fairly classic look to me, definitely not "trendy"

Classic in Milan, for the very reason you point out -- it's been done for so long. Trendy in the U.S, on college campuses, or in Maxim ("ties are in, guys!")

Nobody's saying trendy is a bad thing, and one of my best-dressed friends does the zip sweater/tie look quite well. I simply couldn't pull it off.

I wear loafers, for goodness' sake.

SilverFocks

Reaction score
This is my favorite sweater style because I look best with some sort of collar and because it looks good over anything, from t-shirt to shirt/tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads