• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zee's Leatherware & Shoe Co.

fox81

Reaction score

They weren't perfect. The length of the shoes were not the same (about 1/2-1 cm difference - only noticeable if you put them together sole to sole), The insoles feel like they need more padding too.
I will post photos when I can.
I will be in HK very soon. I am toying with having a a pair of calf skin shoes made, but I am not a fan of the finish on a lot of their shoes (one of the reasons I went suede 1st time round). AlexDC's shoes above look better than what I have seen though.
I know some posters have done the antiquing themselves - I have no idea how one could do that.
Is there a step by step video or guide somewhere?

the difference in length is normal if your feet are a slightly different length, the shoes are made to measure after all.

ask zees not to polish the shoes and then use some deglazer and creams/polish to finish yourself. theres a few threads on here about antiquing.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Agreed. If Zee's can improve their insole finishing that I think it would be hard for us to get a good part of shoes in this price range.

can you or anyone else explain that?

godofcoffee

Reaction score

can you or anyone else explain that?

There are some lumps on the insoles of my Zee's shoes. Not a big deal in terms of comfort, but aesthetically displeasing. More importantly, the insoles had not been shaped to the arch of my foot, so there was a relatively long break-in period (I'm nearly two dozen wearings in, and they still aren't perfectly comfortable).

tipitai

Reaction score
Quick update: I purchased some brown suede balmorals from Zee's back in February and have been pretty pleased with them so far after several months of regular wearing. Initially I was a little disappointed with the quality of the suede, but I feel like the shoes look better now that I've been wearing them for several months. Included below are some iphone photos to give you a general idea.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you bring your own leather to Zee's?

I have a bespoke shoemaker in the US, and was considering taking his last to either HK or Bangkok to experiment with making some cheap pairs, but I don't know much about the process of shoemaking. Would this work? What could go wrong if they're provided both the last and the leather?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can you bring your own leather to Zee's?
I have a bespoke shoemaker in the US, and was considering taking his last to either HK or Bangkok to experiment with making some cheap pairs, but I don't know much about the process of shoemaking. Would this work? What could go wrong if they're provided both the last and the leather?

Probably alot

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When you think Hong Kong had Lee Kee at the Peninsula it surprisaes me HKG is not feel of great cordwainers.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

When you think Hong Kong had Lee Kee at the Peninsula it surprisaes me HKG is not feel of great cordwainers.

they all died, and the young guys dont like hard work for small money, this is why the tradition is lost

addedfuel

Reaction score
Got a pair of dark brown balmoral boots (à la Gaziano and Girling Wigmore) with Dainite soles for 2200$HK. They are more comfortable than I expected, I specified additional cushioning for my insoles. Value 10/10, overall 9/10. They didn't have wax laces and these are ugly, looking for thing wax laces to replace them.

Nerdy Norm

Reaction score
After lurking on this forum for the past few weeks, I've just got back from a trip to HK where, following advice here, I visited Zee's for a pair of shoes. Not being able to make up my mind, I ended up with 3 pairs!

I arrived at around 6.30pm on Thursday and explained to them that due to my flat arches and bunions, I needed to include an orthotic insole in the shoes. This was no problem for them (I brought a pair of insoles with me), and they proceeded to take measurements.

I returned on Saturday for a fitting with the weird canvas shoe things. They felt very tight, but I was assured that was normal. Mr Zee chalked some lines on the canvas shoes, presumably where he wanted to make some changes, then I chose the styles. I went for a tan leather brogue, a navy blue shoe which I couldn't name the style, and brown suede brogue with Dainite soles. I chose the styles from a combination of the samples in-store, and Zee's Facebook page.

I visited again on Tuesday afternoon to collect my new shoes, and couldn't be happier. Due to the bad shape my feet are in, it's the first time in many years that I've been able to wear dress shoes comfortably. So much so in fact that I decided to wear the suede brogues for my return 12 hour flight, instead of my comfy but ugly (according to my wife) Wallabees.

One tip - although the suede brogues were perfectly comfortable for my trip home, because of my feet swelling during the flight, I couldn't get them back on again when it was time to disembark the plane. I guess that because they are MTM, there isn't as much room for adjustment as OTR shoes, which meant I couldn't loosen the laces enough to squeeze my swolen feet in.

Incidentally, I also visited Lee Baron tailors, which is in the same building as Zee's. Equally excellent experience there, which I've mentioned on the HK tailors thread.

Last edited:

guyver00

Reaction score
Nice! I didn't know Zee has such as fast turn around time. I was in there in June to get a pair of suede chukka with dainite soles, it took a bit over a week to collect them. Very comfortable shoes, especially for my backpacking trip in Europe this past Sept/Oct.

tipitai

Reaction score
Those suede brogues look great. 9 months later, I haven't been very impressed with how my suede bals have held up. I feel like the suede is wearing out more than I expected. At first glance, your suede appears to be of a higher quality.

hugh51271

Reaction score

Nice! I didn't know Zee has such as fast turn around time. I was in there in June to get a pair of suede chukka with dainite soles, it took a bit over a week to collect them. Very comfortable shoes, especially for my backpacking trip in Europe this past Sept/Oct.

How much were they?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member