• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zee's Leatherware & Shoe Co.

T900

Reaction score
almost took the plunge today but the shop was closed.

Can anyone advise the best way to get the shape of the shoe that you want? do you describe the shape of the shoe that you want? Or do you choose from some samples that they already have? or is it best to bring a pair for them to copy (this assumes that you already have something that you already like)?

Thanks.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Choose from the samples. They won't make a new last for you, so you can't make whatever you want on the toe shape.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fishball
Not only the polishing story, they said your grandfather used to be shoemaker too!

Damnit... never knew they had such a big mouth! They ought to give me a deep discount next time.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by temporaryachilles
Benjamin,
I'm inspired! I'm going experiment on some loafers I picked up from Zee's a year ago, and if it works well, I'll pick up some nice brogues like yours. From what I understand, I need to:

1. Apply a lot of cream to moisturize the leather.
2. Use diluted acetone to lighten the leather in select areas (i.e. the non-brogued parts).
3. Apply black/dark navy polish with a toothbrush into the broguing.
4. Apply dark brown polish, repeat several times
5. Apply more cream to moisturize the leather, again.

Could you check whether what I'm planning is correct? I still have lots of questions: I'm not sure where to get acetone - can I use nail polish remover? Is there a step involving alcohol? (If not, I'll add a tequila break for myself halfway through.) What kind of polish did you use, and how many layers? It looks simply amazing in your photos.

FYI, I first noticed 'bespoke' shoes from Zee/Mayer/Kow Hoo on Style Forum about a year ago, when I moved to Hong Kong. I was researching custom fitted shoes for practical reasons (wide feet, freakish arch), but now I seem to be turning into a shoe geek!

Sorry I didn't get back to you! I totally forgot about this thread. Yes, the process that you listed out is largely correct. However, I would not use dark brown polish in step 4 as it might darken the areas you lightened with acetone. Instead, try using a lighter colored cream or something. Maybe even neutral.

Let me know how it turned out.

Choose from the samples. They won't make a new last for you, so you can't make whatever you want on the toe shape.

That's strange because I was able to fine tune the toe shape? I guess, they just added a piece of leather to thicken the last when I asked for a higher toe box.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ben,

They could add something on the toe, but not reducing it, so if you want something more slim, they couldn't do it.

T900

Reaction score

Fishball, thanks.

Any advice which particular last is nice from them?

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the square toe with higher toe box, you can check it out.
Don't expect too much though, they are not a top niche shoemaker.
They don't want to be good or to do better, even they can.
What they really want is business, "no heart" in what they are doing.

T900

Reaction score
i will be satisfied if it turns to be like what benjamin has posted. went there at 8.30pm; closed again. :
confused.gif

temporaryachilles

Reaction score
I just picked up some shoes from Zee's ... being lazy, I just asked to get the same shoes Benjamin got, but with a different last more suited to my tough-to-fit feet. Apparently Benjamin's shoes are quite popular - several people have already ordered shoes based on his photos, although the proprietor is careful about telling everyone that the finish would not look the same. In the next week or two, I'll pick up some acetone and some polish, and see if I can duplicate Benjamin's splendid results. My initial impressionis that the leather is very thin, much thinner than Allen Edmonds, or even the shoes I got across the harbor at Mayer Shoe. I very much prefer the more substantial feel of the thicker leather, but it's not an option at Zee's. I'm not confident about the quality of this leather, but for HK$1,650 (including the trees) it's a relatively inexpensive experiment. I'll post some photos when I get around to the antiquing.

Attachment 32916

Attachment 32915

Attachment 32917

Attachment 32914

BTW, if anyone can tell me how to insert the full photos rather than the thumbs, please tell me how!

DrewEnGrey

Reaction score
Been living in HK for the past four months and only just found this thread. I'm sold... time to plan a trip out to TST!
shog[1].gif
(Wondering if he'd make a double monk for me?)

chuan

Reaction score
Any idea how much does a pair of suede shoes made at Zee's will cost? THanks guys.

I've never paid too much attention to the kinds of leather, does the standard leather that Zee uses creases a lot? My current pair of 'disposable' shoes creases a whole lot where the foot bends.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My double monks from Zee. These have been worn around 10 times. They are a golden-tan colored calf, almost exactly the same shade as whisky shell.
CFMac.jpg
When I was there, he said that they do goodyear welts upon request. As soon as I mentioned styleforum he asked me if I wanted to copy Ben's shoes
smile.gif
I might actually go ahead and do just that but put a goodyear welt on it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads