• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Tech. Inventory?

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prompted by another tech thread...
I was thinking about getting a new 'smartphone' for superior connectivity, and all the other bullshit. Then I thought, nah, screw it. I'll stay old school-ish. Email on the go would be nice but I'm never away from a computer for too long) So I was wondering how long others have had certain items.
For me:
Mobile phone - almost 6 years (SonyEric T610: reliable and like a tank: dropped many times with no ill effects)
Laptop - 12months. Previous one for 4 yrs.
Digital camera - 4.5 yrs
TV - no, no a flatscreen HD jobbie. An inherited cath-ray thing . Serves the purpose of watching only BBC World. Movies are viewed on laptop.
Mp3. - ipod 3g nano 18mths. love it's squat form not like the newer elongated things. Great for any pocket.

Anyone else?

Incman

Reaction score
32 inch LCD - about a year and a half . Bought it as a present for myself for my 17th bday.
iPhone - about a week, posting this reply using it.
Laptop - about 2 years before it inexplicably failed catastrophically. Joining the apple camp with a MacBook pro before the fall semester starts.
iPod touch - about a year and a half. No need for it now
netbook - about a year. Bought it for school; waste of money. Too small

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Phone: Crappy BBerry Pearl (Looking to get the Incredible this weekend)

MP3: Samsung Z5 - 4 Years old, still has excellent battery life, seems nearly indestrucible (dropped on concrete MANY times).

Computers:
Laptop - Personal IBM T40 - 7 years old. Battery is shot, hard drive is slow, some keys have to be mashed in order to work.
Laptop - Work Dell D630 - 2 years old. Kind of bulky, hard drive is bottleneck. Lease is up in August. Looking to get something smaller.
Desktop - Personally built 2 years ago. Plays games.

TV: Samsung LNT4069FX - 1080p, 120hz (1st gen) 3 years old. Replaced power board, then soldered new Caps when the stock ones failed again. Will replace with a 46 or 52 in model sometime before the end of the year and retire this to a bedroom unit.

Audio:
Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR-235 - 3 years old. One of the first HDMI models and looked cool.
Speakers: - Mains - 3 years old Self built MTM floorstanders. Center/Surrounds - 2 years old JBL Northridge.

Game Console: PS3 - 2 Years Old. 80gb model, played only a couple of games on it. Use it mainly to watch blu rays and stream movies/netflix to my TV.

Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS7 - 2 months old. Inexpensive point and shoot. Have been impressed so far.

Vacuum lol: Roomba - 2 years old. Works fairly well to keep dust and crap from accumulating. Still no replacement for a real vac every couple of weeks or so.

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll play... Cellphone: iPhone 3G - I've had it for about 15 months with no plans to upgrade to the 3Gs MP3: 120Gb iPod Classic - This is my 4th or 5th iPod, the first gen one was stolen out of my Jeep a few years back, one broke, the other two I replaced for ones with more capacity; I will be updating to a 160GB model soon. I've also got an iPod shuffle (my second one, I lost my first gen one when it must have fallen out of a bag on a trail). Stereo: A JVC mini bookshelf system from 1999 or 2000 - It's old and doesn't give the loudest sound, but it still works great and fulfills its purpose. Laptop: Apple PowerBook G4. It's about 5 years old now and is slowly dying. It's maxed out on memory and hard drive and the processor is woefully slow compared to newer models. Everything still works fine on it, I just need to upgrade to something faster and am hoping to do so this year. Desktop Computer: A Dell from about 2002 - Slow doesn't begin to describe this machine. It's currently maxed out at 512MB of RAM. I basically only connected in case I want to print from home since it's hardwired to the printer. We are currently remodeling our den and when complete, a new desktop is at the top of our purchase list. TV: Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - We bought this after we moved into our house last year and have already decided we want something bigger (it's just out of scale in the room that it's currently in) so when the den is completed, this will eventually be moved into there and be replaced by something about 60"+ category. We also have my old 19" CRT Sony in the den right now that will eventually get moved out to the garage so I can watch Detroit Tiger baseball games outside in the summer when working. Camera: I have some 5-year-old Panasonic digital camera that was crappy when I got it. We have a baby on the way so we are planning to get something a bit more up-to-date soon. Video Games: Wii - It gets a lot of use currently as a NetFlix streamer more so than a video game player, but only because I gave up on the Super Mario Brothers game I was addicted to when I couldn't get past a particular level (that game stole my December through February!).

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think "tech inventory" would be a slightly less misleading thread title, no? I came to this thread expecting Tiesto track lists and whatnot.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I think "tech inventory" would be a slightly less misleading thread title, no? I came to this thread expecting Tiesto track lists and whatnot.
duly noted & redacted

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
marital aid - 6 years and still goin strong
iPhone - 4 months, lost my old one
Wheelbarrow - its grampa's

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner
Desktop Computer: A Dell from about 2002 - Slow doesn't begin to describe this machine. It's currently maxed out at 512MB of RAM. I basically only connected in case I want to print from home since it's hardwired to the printer. We are currently remodeling our den and when complete, a new desktop is at the top of our purchase list.

Mind my asking, which Dell desktop is this?

legit

Reaction score
I'm fairly simple when it comes to electronics..

MP3: 2gb Ipod Nano, maybe 3 generations old.

Computers:
Laptop None.
Desktop - Personally built 2 years ago. Plays some games.

TV: Technically I just use my 19" computer LCD. I do not have a TV otherwise.

Camera: Simple Canon Powershot I bought last year, 10MP

uvmboi13

Reaction score
Phone: iPhone 3GS 16GB - 3 months old
Laptop: Macbook White - 1 year old
TV: 32" Sony - 3 years old

Looking to upgrade my TV to a 42" plasma at least for next semester.
Want to upgrade the Macbook to Macbook Pro too.
iPhone 4G coming this summer so I want that too.

Too bad I am so broke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads