• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your most awkward meal w/ someone

Mr T

Reaction score
About six months after a bad break-up my ex and I tried to mend fences and remain friends. We met at a small bistro in San Fransisco and within minutes I knew it was a mistake. We had nothing to say to each other. In six months we had grown apart ten years. After dinner we parted without a hug or smile and never spoke again.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
About six months after a bad break-up my ex and I tried to mend fences and remain friends. We met at a small bistro in San Fransisco and within minutes I knew it was a mistake. We had nothing to say to each other. In six months we had grown apart ten years. After dinner we parted without a hug or smile and never spoke again.

Great story. Simple, but so real, visceral. We have felt these feelings and situations all. More please.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T

Great story. Simple, but so real, visceral. We have felt these feelings and situations all. More please.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
lol. this may sound good. interesting. sorry, just our human tendency to enjoy or be interested in our little social oddities and hangups.
Oh, it is interesting, shoe. It really is. But, like I said....

doink

Reaction score
not sure if I have shared this story here,

I "blacked out" at a restaurant on a second date.

Here is what and how it happened, I had just moved to a major city, after living for years in a very rural place and not dating much.

met a woman on line, and went on the best first date ever (without scoring) so decided to go out again.

She chose a relatively good restaurant.

So we went to dinner, she passes me the wine list, I was so nervous and had no experience dealing with wine lists, that the writing on the page started swirling around in front of me and I lost connection with reality for about five minutes, I could hear everything going on around me but could not respond until the waiter came to save my date and asked if I wanted a beer, and that reset my brain. I even tried to move to leave, but was totally paralyzed.

When I explained what happened, she thought it was cute, until we broke up and she used that as a contributing factor and an example of why we were not meant to be together.

I learned my lesson from this and now always check menus and reviews on line for restaurants I am taking a date to, and I always ask the wait staff for a suggestion based on what we plan on eating.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by doink

When I explained what happened, she thought it was cute, until we broke up and she used that as a contributing factor and an example of why we were not meant to be together.

I learned my lesson from this and now always check menus and reviews on line for restaurants I am taking a date to, and I always ask the wait staff for a suggestion based on what we plan on eating.

Haha. That's so funny. Personally, I always check reviews on chowhound or egullet, but only because of one bad experience where a girl took a doggy bag home to her bf. I now only go to snobby restaurants that don't offer doggy bags! (kidding)

Seriously though, if the review from fellow foodies are good, I'll take a look at the menu just to make sure there's something for her if she's a vegetarian or something. I don't look at the wine list though. I have yet to date someone that really knowns anything about wine and I never buy the really good bottles at restaurants. Those are for home-cooked meals where I don't have to pay a 200-500% markup.

If I were you i'd learn just enough about it so that you didn't have to ask the waiter. It's one of those things girls like. You don't have to become a connoisseur, but just learn the basic varietals and what goes with what. It's really not that difficult.

TrinityJ

Reaction score
oh man. those are pretty funny, but im sure they sucked at the time. I ahve one that is equally as bad. I can laugh at it now, but damn did it suck.

I was in college and i smoked alot of pot back then. I jsut finished smoking with my roommate, when my mom called me and said she was outside and ready to go for dinner. I completely forgot we had dinner scheduled together. Anyone who has smoked a jib or two in their life will know how paranoid i was at dinner. It was the queitest and most awkward dinner hands down for me. By the end of it, it was alright. I wasn't high at all, but the first 30 minutes or so, i could hardly look at my mom. I dont smoke much anymore, and when i do i can hang out with my mom fine. But that was one crappy meal, except for the food itself. Munchies!!!

-good thread by the by.

doink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek

If I were you i'd learn just enough about it so that you didn't have to ask the waiter. It's one of those things girls like. You don't have to become a connoisseur, but just learn the basic varietals and what goes with what. It's really not that difficult.

This was nearly 5 years ago, and I have been trying to learn, one of the ways has been asking questions at better restaurants.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by doink
This was nearly 5 years ago, and I have been trying to learn, one of the ways has been asking questions at better restaurants.

when i dont know things i really never stress out and its a good time to make a joke or take a jab at yourself. generally it opens things up and shows you have a sence of humour, have a high enough self esteem because you dont care to show that you dont know something. i think people generally feel more comfortable around people who can laugh at themselves, not try to be know it alls etc.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lunch with economics Nobel laureate Douglas North. He told me I was teaching IO wrong. The man had no grasp on reality.

b

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by badz
Hahahahaha. That was really awkward. But for me, it was awkward eating with my date where the table cloth and my suit matched. Damn that dinner was.

thats not awkward, but hilarious....for the rest of us
smile.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by badz
Hahahahaha. That was really awkward. But for me, it was awkward eating with my date where the table cloth and my suit matched....
You have a red and white gingham check suit?? The fashion police should have hauled you away and saved you from the awkwardness.
smile.gif
My most awkward meal, by far, was lunch with my now ex-wife when I told her it was time for us to get a divorce. We were at a restaurant that I frequent often, but I don't remember what I ordered or how much I ate (I'm sure it wasn't much). I remember only key parts of the conversation....marriage counseling isn't working; we're stuck in the same ruts; it's best for both of us and for your daughters; etc. It was a nasty experience, but in the long run, the start of a beneficial process for me. Do I "win" the thread?
blush.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads