• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

your lot in life

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm where I hoped I'd be.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Not married, not owning a house, and have not made as much money as I thought I would.

But I can't complain either.

Somehow I'm confident that you'd survive the recession just fine.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
What's with all these 40 year-olds thinking they'd never live to be that old? Sorry, but you weren't exactly running with the Crips in your youth.

Driving drunk, motorcycles (even when sober), and assing about on boats are all common ways to die, even if you weren't slinging crack rocks at 15.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd still be a virgin, single and depressed, maybe drifting from place to place working menial jobs to support my songwriting. I ended up happily married with one kid and a mortgage and a stable career. **** happens.

Big T

Reaction score
I never thought about age 58 (what I am), I always thought of life as being somewhere between ages 21 and 30 perpetually, even though I had kids older than that.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it stylish to say that you would never live to see X age? I know I was ******* crazy in my teens and early 20s (like really crazy), and still go nuts, but the thought I would be dead by a young age never crossed my mind.

Honestly, I'm still not sure about my lot in life and kind of never thought where I wanted to be. I guess I just thought once I got there I would know it's where I always wanted to be. I've had some really great opportunities come my way and have been offered to start an amazing job for a great company in the fall, but the zinger is I'm not sure I want a rat race job sitting behind a desk making someone else rich. To top it all off, a big opportunity has just crossed my path (buying a business) that has potential to bring me a lot of cash, but the idea of taking a leap of faith and turning down a "sure thing" scares me.

So I suppose I will have a better idea of my lot in life in a year's time.

Hannerhan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
As it turns out, I own a house on a street that I used to considered the epicenter of yuppie ***** that I resented. Now I look out my kitchen window and can see the jealousy on the face of others as they walk by and peer into my Norman Rockwell meets Cy Twoombley portrait of mid ******* century bullshit.

First, your avatar is the shiznit. I'm part owner of a small ranch about 40 miles from where that was taken...it's truly the greatest place on earth as far as I'm concerned.

Second, I'm in the same boat as you basically and very happy to be here. But it's not the house; it's the wife and 3 beautiful healthy kids. Not being a big kid person myself, it never occurred to me that I could love a child the way I do with these 3. We have given up plenty of partying and vacationing over the past 8 years but it's been worth it x1000.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
To top it all off, a big opportunity has just crossed my path (buying a business) that has potential to bring me a lot of cash, but the idea of taking a leap of faith and turning down a "sure thing" scares me.

Do not send any money to Nigeria.

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
I have fucked it all up basically.

I feel incredibly bored, unaccomplished, unsatisfied, and unmotivated on a day-to-day basis. I've been working steadily at my career of choice since I've been out of school (never had a break of more than 2 months between jobs) and I've come to the conclusion that I need to make a change or I may have a nervous breakdown. I'm embarrassed to tell people where I went to school because they always have the same look of shock on their faces and ask 'what are you doing here?!?'. Friends of mine are appearing on the covers of magazines and showing their work on national stages while I sit in front of a computer at a desk all day updating charts, sending emails to China, and surfing the internet aimlessly. At least I have health insurance I guess...

Taking a leap of faith next month and am fully expecting everything will turn around eventually. Not worried about the bumps in the road on the way there.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Is it stylish to say that you would never live to see X age? I know I was ******* crazy in my teens and early 20s (like really crazy), and still go nuts, but the thought I would be dead by a young age never crossed my mind.

Honestly, I'm still not sure about my lot in life and kind of never thought where I wanted to be. I guess I just thought once I got there I would know it's where I always wanted to be. I've had some really great opportunities come my way and have been offered to start an amazing job for a great company in the fall, but the zinger is I'm not sure I want a rat race job sitting behind a desk making someone else rich. To top it all off, a big opportunity has just crossed my path (buying a business) that has potential to bring me a lot of cash, but the idea of taking a leap of faith and turning down a "sure thing" scares me.

So I suppose I will have a better idea of my lot in life in a year's time.

Are you at peace?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not quite where I expected to be on the professional front, but more happiness than I ever thought I'd get on the personal front.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
pretty stressed and unsatisfied with my life. hopefully will improve in 3-4 months.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
pretty stressed and unsatisfied with my life. hopefully will improve in 3-4 months.
You're going into a PhD program. Improvement is not in the cards.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads