• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Best & Worst Purchases of 2009

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Really like it
laugh.gif
. IIRC Cucinelli was doing very similar last season in cashmere for around 1500 USD retail

want it, come get it

harburn

Reaction score
Best: Italian slim version Borrelli shirts. Got one for $75 (NOWT) from FStyles. My new favorite.

Worst: Etro shirts (bad new, terrible NOWT). Poor quality. Do not hold their shape and fade. All have been donated to Goodwill.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
most of my '09 purchases are more MC territory, but just confining this to SW&D stuff for the purposes of this thread: Best: Wings+Horns Service boot - have been wearing the hell out of this, and the more you beat on it, the better it looks Dior Home MII indigo waxed jeans - ditto the above Worst: i found a Helmut Lang source at unbelievable prices, so i stocked up. all of it was ****. seams popping on pants, pilling and shedding on knits - complete garbage Biggest Regret: not purchasing a sweet Moncler Gamme Bleu jacket i saw at Colette while on vacation. i can't get that jacket out of my head
frown.gif

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best:
+J Navy mohair suit
All my +J button downs. All I need to do is get them shortened a bit and they'll be perfect. Actually most (see post below) of my +J purchases have been great.
ToJ DR in calfskin
ToJ Brown Bomber
ToJ wallet
All my Paul Smith boots/shoes
Levis 501 1947
Quick release belt in black with a pewter buckle
Uniqlo Cords

Worst:
Some graphic tees I regret since I don't really wear them except in the summer and this one stretch +J t that makes me sweat bucketloads because the shirt just does not breath at all.
A bunch of button downs that I had to sell because they were too tight (BoO, KWxTat)
YMC sneakers (kill my foot) and in general I'd like to sell off most of my sneakers since I only wear a few pairs. I realized I only need a few pairs and regret having such a huge collection.
A GAP denim jacket that was thin and fit like ****. I sold it off and replaced it with the J.Crew/Levi's one.

mpcec

Reaction score
Best: KZO Vernal shirt. Bought this from Mike at Epaulet and their service was awesome, and the shirt fit/material/construction is fantastic.

Worst: MFSC Signal Vest. Couldn't pull it off well.

holybich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Racove
no way you can use more than half of the 255 at any one time

disagree... i was squatting 225 for 8 reps at 6'3" and 150lbs. scrawny legs and everything.

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
Best:

Nudie Slim Jims
Rogan x Target hoodie (prefer this over stuff I own that's 5x as expensive)
Saucony - finally, some real sneakers instead of this semi-designer ****
d2 red flower lapel pin - brightens up any suit/sport jacket
Theory dress pants - functional
Ermenegildo Zegna 15 milmil jacket - stellar quality
Elie Tahari nylon sport jacket - great going out jacket: dressy, but since it's nylon anything just wipes off
Burberry sport thermal sweater-- rugged, amazing quality-- too bad Burberry overuses logos/nova check

Worst:

Ferragamo gancini belt - looks great but layers of leather cracking apart already :/
Zuriick laceless shoes - at $55 shipped, a joke
Toms Cordones - ditto (except it's like $75). Already ripping, losing shape
cardigans - I buy these then NEVER want to wear them

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best: APC NSs... first foray into raw denim, loving every day of the journey

Worst: H&M Sliqs... they feel like wet rags on my body. I think I'm done with H&M forever.

ADDIC

Reaction score
Best:
Iron Heart 9526V
Iron Heart 9634
Schott Navy Peacoat ($52)
Persol 2747

Worst:
Ray Ban Wayfarer 55mm
Ray Ban Wayfarer 52mm

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
best:

sugarcane made in USA plaid shirt - best slim fitting casual BD I've ever owned

worst:

chimala jeans - awful stiff denim with baggy fit

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Best: APC NSs... first foray into raw denim, loving every day of the journey

Worst: H&M Sliqs... they feel like wet rags on my body. I think I'm done with H&M forever.

lol ...I can understand quality issues, but... uhhh why did they feel wet?

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meis
lol ...I can understand quality issues, but... uhhh why did they feel wet?
Its a hard feeling to describe... they don't literally feel wet, but they have the weight of baggy + wet clothes. The fit isn't even that great either TBH; they're good in the thighs but too loose at the bottom, and not worth getting altered. I'll probably just sell them, they were only $20.

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Its a hard feeling to describe... they don't literally feel wet, but they have the weight of baggy + wet clothes. The fit isn't even that great either TBH; they're good in the thighs but too loose at the bottom, and not worth getting altered. I'll probably just sell them, they were only $20.
the color of the new Sliqs is nice, but yeah-- fabric and quality leave much to be desired. Actually, I have a pair of Sliqs from 5 years ago that was Made in Turkey and quite nice. Obviously they're not Nudies, but great for the price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads