• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young man...have you no shame?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My .02 - and with no desire to restart the flames.

It seems that the board most often goes down in flames when a poster makes a post about something that offends their moral sensibilities (viz. jerry's friend, this post) with the underlying assumption that the rest of the board will agree with them.

The funny thing about these virtual communities is - to quote someone in a different thread - while we may share many interests and, I would argue, respect and enjoy learning from each other in a narrow field we are not 'friends'.

This is an important distinction - your friends will often share your views and, if they don't, are likely to react fairly gently if you sound off. They'll agree to disagree or, if they feel it is crucial, argue the point with as much equanimity as they can muster.

This group is held together by something a bit more tenuous, and it is fairly easy to push a lot of buttons very quickly.

Posting about your frustrations with bad service at Nordstrom is likely to get lots of sympathetic feedback. Posting about the decline of American morality is almost surely going to get someone riled up. There are other boards for that.

There appear to be some camps in these debates - possibly a PM is in order when you are scandalized by risque behavior. Or a phone call. But it doesn't make sense to post something about your attitude towards right and wrong and then act shocked when someone attacks it. These are closely-held beliefs and, to be honest, I don't think that we've shared enough experience to earn the right to preach to one another.

Thanks Duveen. And with that, some bad manners of my own. Everyone, please shut the **** up.

Thanks.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LA Guy, what am I gonna do with you? Love ya like a little brother but still you miss the point. Now back up and try that again and do it with good manners - Something along the lines of "Gentleman, as I am sure that you are aware, dischord on our gentlemen's forum detracts from the enjoyable experience realized when we all strive to keep the forum discussion on topic and harmonious. Thus if it is not too much of a bother, could you PLEASE all shut the fcuk up?"

...notice how much nicer that sounded :)

Equilibrium regained, wiseass switch reset to Maximum

Sinbad

Reaction score
[I'll try not to make this sound as utterly flammatory as I would like it to, but generalizations such as these are what I see as the perfect example of a (possibly) older person passing false judgements based on a tyrannical and horribly racist public media.
I find it rather hilarious to be defined as an old racist by someone who ingnores my gender, race, age.
Besides, some members should get to understand that verbal aggression is often a sign of lack of ideas and therefore should be avoided.
About my quote: I used the term "most" and not "all" rap songs. I am aware that many artist have nothing to do with the sexist attitude I was referring to, but before getting into childish exchange of list of examples supporting each thesis, we could discuss about the image of woman in rap culture, leaving aside particular examples. In this sense, I mean that a disrespectful image of woman is transmitted in most rap videos and by many rap artists (unfortunately, Eminem reaches many more people than Rage against the machine).

About other comments: I still see many have a problem with accepting the concept of a basic mutual respect in society. People need to live together and therefore some rules are necessary (nor good neither bad, just necessary). If I should be free to shout in the face of someone all the insults I want, why should not that person be free to punch me in the face? Words can be as harmful as fists. Can´t you see where does this lead? I think it´s pretty obvious.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have the right to go straight up to the Swedish king shake the mans
hand and tell him that I believe he is a useless idiot who wears nasty suits and has a skanky wife and a fit daughter that I like to stick it to. Now he might find this offensive and get really pissed off but it doesn't change the fact that I can still do it and get away unpunsihed cause I live in a FREE society, try pulling this trick on the Thai or Saudi Arabian king I bet you won't live to regret it.

Well, I live in a "free" country called The United States of America pal, and If I was able to get close enough to our President to shake his hand and tell him something cool like that, I would be immediately be shot by at least one of the fourty secret service men that constantly follow him around. They would make up some story about how I had "terrorist" connections and I was trying to use a biological agent against the President. The media would blow it up and make me out to be some sort of elitist Al Qaida asian superassassin, who is into kinky sex, dirty bombs, and white slavery. My picture would make the cover of Time magazine, and a tape recorded message that was found in my condo will be played incessantly. It is a mix tape of my favorite terrorist music. (yes I downloaded it illegally from the internet) Millions of people who believe what they see on television, and read in the papers, will believe me to be the "enemy"

But you will all know that I was set up... Its up to you to spread the message of my innocence.

remember this conversation...

Brian SD

Reaction score
(Brian SD @ 22 Aug. 2004, 7:09) [I'll try not to make this sound as utterly flammatory as I would like it to, but generalizations such as these are what I see as the perfect example of a (possibly) older person passing false judgements based on a tyrannical and horribly racist public media.
I find it rather hilarious to be defined as an old racist by someone who ingnores my gender, race, age. Besides, some members should get to understand that verbal aggression is often a sign of lack of ideas and therefore should be avoided. About my quote: I used the term "most" and not "all" rap songs. I am aware that many artist have nothing to do with the sexist attitude I was referring to, but before getting into childish exchange of list of examples supporting each thesis, we could discuss about the image of woman in rap culture, leaving aside particular examples. In this sense, I mean that a disrespectful image of woman is transmitted in most rap videos and by many rap artists (unfortunately, Eminem reaches many more people than Rage against the machine). About other comments: I still see many have a problem with accepting the concept of a basic mutual respect in society. People need to live together and therefore some rules are necessary (nor good neither bad, just necessary).  If I should be free to shout in the face of someone all the insults I want, why should not that person be free to punch me in the face? Words can be as harmful as fists.  Can´t you see where does this lead? I think it´s pretty obvious.
I hardly see my point as verbal abuse towards you, and I didn't imply that you were racist, I just implied that you don't know what you're talking about. Whatever else there is to say about it, I am not going to argue, because it's semantics and aside from the point of the original post. I just don't like to see an injustice done to an entire art-loving culture.

Valmont

Reaction score
Well, I live in a "free" country called The United States of America pal, and If I was able to get close enough to our President to shake his hand and tell him something cool like that, I would be immediately be shot by at least one of the fourty secret service men that constantly follow him around. They would make up some story about how I had "terrorist" connections and I was trying to use a biological agent against the President. The media would blow it up and make me out to be some sort of elitist Al Qaida asian superassassin, who is into kinky sex, dirty bombs, and white slavery. My picture would make the cover of Time magazine, and a tape recorded message that was found in my condo will be played incessantly. It is a mix tape of my favorite terrorist music. (yes I downloaded it illegally from the internet) Millions of people who believe what they see on television, and read in the papers, will believe me to be the "enemy"

But you will all know that I was set up... Its up to you to spread the message of my innocence.

remember this conversation...
haha the U.S. a free country that was the joke of the day, but you're absolutely right though. The Saudis at least have the decency of charging you with the crime of violating the king just before they chop your head off...

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the right to go straight up to the Swedish king shake the mans hand and tell him that I believe he is a useless idiot who wears nasty suits and has a skanky wife and a fit daughter that I like to stick it to. Now he might find this offensive and get really pissed off but it doesn't change the fact that I can still do it and get away unpunsihed cause I live in a FREE society, try pulling this trick on the Thai or Saudi Arabian king I bet you won't live to regret it.
Well, I live in a "free" country called The United States of America pal, and If I was able to get close enough to our President to shake his hand and tell him something cool like that, I would be immediately be shot by at least one of the fourty secret service men that constantly follow him around. They would make up some story about how I had "terrorist" connections and I was trying to use a biological agent against the President. The media would blow it up and make me out to be some sort of elitist Al Qaida asian superassassin, who is into kinky sex, dirty bombs, and white slavery. My picture would make the cover of Time magazine, and a tape recorded message that was found in my condo will be played incessantly. It is a mix tape of my favorite terrorist music. (yes I downloaded it illegally from the internet) Millions of people who believe what they see on television, and read in the papers, will believe me to be the "enemy" But you will all know that I was set up... Its up to you to spread the message of my innocence. remember this conversation...
Yes...terrible place this America... Luckily they dont force you to stay in this tyrannical place. JJF

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes...terrible place this America...

Luckily they dont force you to stay in this tyrannical place.
Uh, I think he was using satire.

But here's something serious for you guys to digest:

South Korea's an interesting place because you get to see firsthand how foreign policy here practically changed overnight with Bush. We sure had a huge fiasco back when the whole "Axis of Evil" thing erupted. The South Korean government was pissed because the SK president was implementing a "Sunshine Policy" that would give NK more wriggle-room, an important thing to have; you don't want to back it into a corner with no way out. Well that went out the window, with saddening results: I remember base security here at the U.S. Army garrison being extra tight soon after. Then there was the war in Iraq. It really had the Iraqi guys living here in tears; it's not every day your homeland gets beaten up while you're away, you tend to fear for those of your family still living there. You wonder why North Korea wasn't dealt with instead. Recently there were reports of U.S. servicemen being shadowed, people caught trying to look for security weaknesses (one lady had a sketchpad, drawing a building with references to guard changes and conference room locations, so I hear) and just otherwise trying to look for ways to make things hard for Americans. Now we've built mechanical roadblocks at every vehicle gate, and all the guards have hand-held scanners scanning our ID cards. Things have definitely changed.

To guys outside looking in, America sure is a mixed bag. I'm an American citizen, sure. But I've lived overseas for most of my life. I made it a point to replace any sentiment of nationlism (or patriotism or whatever) with an outlook that's a little more global in scale. So if someone came up to me and said, "If you hate America so much, why don't you leave," I would reply that doing so would really make no difference to my life as it is. I just like my citizenship because it makes traveling to the places I frequent a hell of a lot easier. Also, I miss Hawaii.

I think I was compelled to type this because I really dislike the "don't like it, leave" attitude. I know TokyoSlim's post was really over the top, but I took it as a joke. But if I were to post some real concerns coming from me, an American living in one of America's allied countries right south from a weird and crazy neighbor, and were told to do this, I wouldn't know what to feel: anger or pity.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To get this thread back on track.

The FCUK campaigns were slightly shocking and mildly amusing about 10 years ago (I know that the campaign hasn't been around that long, maybe 5 or 6 years, but it feels much longer) - good for Hallowe'en Party or maybe a night out with the guys (those nights you were determined to strike out with any woman you summoned up enough courage to say "How you doin'?" to.)

Now, they are just as funny and clever as "Dumb and Dumberer" (the sequel), and a about as played out as Rocky 5 (did anyone actually watch that movie?) And the fact that the whole joke revolved entirely around the most juvenile of tricks (heheh, let's switch the U and C - cuz that way, it's not really a bad word. Heheheh) is just pathetic.

As for the 15 year old kid who started this furor, forget second base. He probably strikes out 3 and 0 everytime he steps up to the plate. "Oh, and he swung again. Obviously high and to the side. Should've given that one a pass. That was just not a good move. The whole dugout is laughing."

LA Guy - who was once 15.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think that as you get older you start learning about more subtle ways to thumb your nose at people. Huge printed slogans just aren't worth looking obnoxious in.

I've always wondered about "Juicy Couture." Now, in Korea, we have these bar ladies called "Juicy Girls," so named because they want you to buy them drinks in exchange for companionship, usually of the juice-and-alcohol variety. Now, these girls are dressed skankily. I have trouble putting this concept of "Juicy" (which is, admittedly, a concept one would not know about unless he knew about these Juicy Girls) and "Couture." Imagine, being able to couture it up like juicies.

Anyways, this reaction of mine to this particular brand is off-the-wall and unique to those living here. I honestly wonder what prompted its creation.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's Juicy Kouture. With a K.

No, it's Juicy Couture, with a C (maybe you are referring to the Russian knockoff.)

Velour is vulgar, and is not fit to be worn outside any sort of athletically inclined context.

You seriously need to stop reading Victorian romances. Here is an edit (I don't agree with you, btw.)

"Velour should only be worn for athletic activities."

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's Juicy Kouture. With a K.
No, it's Juicy Couture, with a C (maybe you are referring to the Russian knockoff.) Â Â
Velour is vulgar, and is not fit to be worn outside any sort of athletically inclined context.
You seriously need to stop reading Victorian romances. Â Here is an edit (I don't agree with you, btw.) "Velour should only be worn for athletic activities."
Couture doesn't deserve that. I don't read Victorian romances. I find 19th century English literature insanely dull. My preferences extend to modernist literature such as James Joyce, and Andre Breton. As well as decadent literature. Those Alaskan housewife chic Ugg's, and Juicy worn together is an aesthetic mishap. And then "complimented" with a Vuitton of some nature. Usually of the rainbow variety.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those Alaskan housewife chic Ugg's, and Juicy worn together is an aesthetic mishap. And then "complimented" with a Vuitton of some nature. Usually of the rainbow variety.

Sounds like the typical Beverly Hills trophy wife from about 2 years ago - you forgot the little dog (very suitable for eating, imo) and the rimless Prada or Dior sunglasses. Very Beverly Hills trash. The industry player husbands usually wear a 2 Flowers or Coast linen/cotton shirt (often embroidered), linen pants, mandals, and Matsuda or Oliver Peoples sunglasses. I had a friend (no I didn't officer) who liked to keyscratch their Beemers/Mercedes/Bentleys and steal their hood ornaments just to put a crimp on their day. For the record, I was entertained by, but did not condone, their behaviour.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went out for Pizza tonight and spied a 15-18 year old wearing a flourescent yellow button down shirt from FCUK with the following written on the back in flourescent yellow: FCUK to live...Live to FCUK. Is there something horribly offensive about a shirt like that (And I dont mean the flourescent yellow part
smile.gif
 ).  or am I the only one that is bothered by that? So is it shock value that compells a person to buy that?  And where are the parents that are paying for this crap? OK, I needed to get that out of my system cause I wanted to tell the kid off. (and I write "Kid" not because of age but because of behaviour.) Enjoy the rest of the weekend. JJF
You should have told him about 7 folds ties and convas suits...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads