• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

davidlee388

Reaction score
Comfortable spring outfit the other day.

YYPH SS10 Fedora - polyurethane mesh
YYPH SS14 Look 39 Chinese Blazer - 100% linen, completely unlined.
YYPH SS11 Look 9 Cropped Pants - woven cotton
Uniglo Tee + Converse.

Last edited:

spencerng1

Reaction score
hi guys, new yohji enthusiast here and would like to share some of my thoughts.

1. I recently went to tokyo and visited some of the yohji outlets there (the aoyama flagship, the shinjuku isetan store, and the one at shibuya parco.)

aoyama: i don't know whether it was just me but i found that the range of menswear was a little disappointing. it could be that most of the stand-out pieces from ss15 have already been snapped up or my expectations were too high. the aoyama store is 3 stories high but only the ground floor is the main selling floor. the second floor is the showroom for limi feu and the basement was cordoned off (did it use to be a selling space previously though?). perhaps i was expecting that a 3 storied space would stock all of the different sub-labels of yohji in addition to the main line.

isetan: yohji has a small space on the second floor of isetan mens. the sales staff at isetan honestly looked like models off the yohji runway and it was so great to see someone pulling off yohji head to toe with so much finesse. it does make me wonder whether the sales people actually wear yohji outside of work/are yohji enthusiasts themselves or just wearing their assigned uniforms.

the selection seems smaller than the one at aoyama (it looks like they only stock yyph) but i could find more of the "signature" runway looks there as compared to the one at aoyama. (side note: the isetan menswear floor can get pretty crowded but i felt like the rare congregation of incredibly dressed men contributed to the overall atmosphere of shopping. great to people watch and see what other people are wearing. also so many good brands on the second floor of isetan with a pretty good selection-dries, rick owens, nonnative, japanese brands etc.)

shibuya parco: shibuya parco stocks the evangelion collection and the sub-labels of yohji (did not take notice which labels) but does not stock the main line. prices for the sub-lines are relatively cheaper. some really good stuff, there was a coat selling for 50000 yen but did not spend much time there.

2. is japan on a different delivery schedule from the other parts of the world? in fact it seems that japan gets their stock later than western stockists. if anything, i would expect japan to get their stock earlier than the rest of the world. saw this on ssense a few months ago (https://www.ssense.com/en-us/men/product/yohji-yamamoto/black-embroidered-flowers-shirt/671503 along with the coordinating pants) but isetan only received it on the last week of march.

3. i think it is ridiculous how expensive yohji is in the western world. i get that japanese brands tend to be cheaper in japan but the price differential is WAY TOO MUCH. comme is only 20-30 per cent more expensive outside of japan but yy is on a whole different level. the wrap pants with the embroidered logo was only retailing for 68000 yen (570 use) but ssense is selling it for 1500 usd??!!!?? who sets this pricing policy, the principal from tokyo or the store itself? it just makes me dejected that i will never be able to get new yohji stuff unless i fly to tokyo.

Last edited:

u-ti

Reaction score
Basement of the Aoyama boutique is usually used for YYPH and some Costume, whereas the ground floor is mainly for the female lines. Last time I had the chance to visit the store was around new years, and it was still like that, and have always been ever since I knew the place, so its strange that you found it corned off...

As of the staffs, I recall having a conversation like that a while back with the isetan guys and they told me 'its too comfy to put anything else on'. Of course the specific garments they wear in the store are somewhat controlled to show variety, and each of them has a certain set outfit for the season.
Not so sure of the delivery schedule and pricing, depends on the items to make the delivery come in a certain interval, I remember they had their first ss delivery on the first week of january, if that helps you in any way. and tax has alot to do with the pricing i guess ....

Btw, anybody here snatch the aw07 wool/knit jacket on Y! last week?
was excited to find it but unfortunately my bank didnt allow me ...

davidlee388

Reaction score
@spencerng1 I guess you arrived in Tokyo around the time when YY used/prepared the Aoyama flagship to hold domestic sale presentation ( usually one month after a runway show in Paris, be it Pour Homme or Femme ) for the local buyers.

As for stock, to my knowledge Japanese market has about 7/8 deliveries in small increments to keep interests high ( I guess ) throughout the season so customers go back to the stores regularly for new releases, which is good for business...

Last edited:

volatile

Reaction score
Just scored a couple of more esoteric Yohji bits; I am always drawn to his mid-century-inspired pieces...

Can anyone point me to lookbooks or similar of these pieces in action, so to speak? I'd love to see what the complementary pieces for that first jacket were, for example... Do any of you happen to know the year / season?

Last edited:

cupper

Reaction score

Y's Shirt - Khaki with small color speckles - 53% cotton/46% Wool/1%Polyester
YYPH AW92 Pants - Dark Blue - 100% Wool

Harlock66

Reaction score

Beachcombing with a great lake breeze to show off some Yohji motion.

- Y's two-button wool garbardine jacket (love this thing and when the wind blows it becomes a dark kite)
- Y's For Men collarless button-up white cotton shirt
- Regulation For Men black silk cardigan (the stand up collar perfectly fits with the collarless neck)
- YYPH cargo cotton pants with hem cord
- YYDocs

Last edited:

sepp

Reaction score
Great pics guys.

Need to get reacquainted with those early Dr Martens days again for me. These boots are made to fit YY cuts. :)

heicat

Reaction score
Comfortable spring outfit the other day.

YYPH SS10 Fedora - polyurethane mesh
YYPH SS14 Look 39 Chinese Blazer - 100% linen, completely unlined.
YYPH SS11 Look 9 Cropped Pants - woven cotton
Uniglo Tee + Converse.

This outfit is so cool, it looks so Ip Man era Chinese

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads