• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Jikan

Reaction score
I don't think you should have any qualms with hand washing your jacket. I hand wash everything, except tees and underwear which I put in the machine. But then again I come from a country where dry cleaners are almost non-existent. The only thing is to be careful with how you dry your garments. Don't let a jacket dry on a hanger for example. I dry mine on a wooden stick fastened to the wall (not sure how to explain it, it looks like one of those wooden racks on the walls of gyms, no idea what they're called). This is especially important with heavier wool as the weight of the garment will increase significantly and the shape may be altered when hung on a hanger.

repp_fink

Reaction score

If you highly recommend me to dryclean them instead, what are things I should be aware of, to mention to the drycleaners?

Read the labels, and read all the way through, because Yohji is a magnificently perverse bastard.

I own a pair of ramie / rayon trousers from SS07, and the care tag actually says "in the event of cleaning, it is required to remove all buttons from this garment". I am not joking. These trousers have six buttons on the fly alone. I can only guess what they're made out of ... some kind of very fragile wood? Pressed, varnished paper? Compressed cornstarch? I have no idea. But apparently they are delicate enough that you have to remove them, launder the trousers, and then sew them all back on.

Needless to say, I am never more careful holding a drink than I am when I'm wearing those trousers.

Last edited:

davidlee388

Reaction score
Read the labels, and read all the way through, because Yohji is a magnificently perverse bastard.
I own a pair of ramie / rayon trousers from SS07, and the care tag actually says "in the event of cleaning, it is required to remove all buttons from this garment". I am not joking. These trousers have six buttons on the fly alone. I can only guess what they're made out of ... some kind of very fragile wood? Pressed, varnished paper? Compressed cornstarch? I have no idea. But apparently they are delicate enough that you have to remove them, launder the trousers, and then sew them all back on.
Needless to say, I am never more careful holding a drink than I am when I'm wearing those trousers.
I know what kind of buttons you mean, like paper/wood hybrid, I have the SS07 Look 2 Suit in the same fabric with those buttons on the blazer ( but I haven't checked the care tag... ) They look very delicate probably because the Y! seller I won the suit from had already dry cleaned them with the buttons in-situ. Well it adds to the charm anyway as long as they are still working :)

Last edited:

esox

Reaction score

but thats rare with youhji clothes. i did not see any of this. only one can do this better. cdc.
i saw a parka with leather inserts and was interested but the label says no washing and no dry cleaning.
i asked the sales guy and he told me that they asked and the answer was that in case you need to clean it - a winter parka! - you have to remove all the leather inserts!.

so you have to disassemble the whole parka to clean it. thats cool.
smile.gif

after this i always have a look what is it made of and how can i clean it.

Jikan

Reaction score
I've been washing my wool sweater with leather inserts numerous times, sometimes even in the machine. I just wash it in cold water. Never had any problems.

dantebykiko

Reaction score
two packages at once from japan. ss99 suit(only trousers in the photo) + aw04 long shirt. still waiting for my zipper pants.... not cool.

Last edited:

repp_fink

Reaction score
Quick photo of the variant "parachute jacket" we were discussing, so you can see the shoulder and back hem attachment points. Had to amp up the brightness in the photo -- the color is a true black, not the blue shown.

HN-J04-104 : 59% wool, 17% rayon, 12% linen, and 12% ramie

Below the break, a closeup of the weave on this hefty fabric :

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

two packages at once from japan. ss99 suit(only trousers in the photo) + aw04 long shirt. still waiting for my zipper pants.... not cool.

This isn't related to your clothing, but where did you get those shelves?

fireflygrave

Reaction score
thumb comments are gone, new update to SF interface.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i double pressed the thumb-up and couldn't answer there. - ikea =))

Don't worry, I did the same thing before catching on. I thought they looked like Ikea, but wanted to double check. How do you like them? Need some new shelving soon and I'm cool with mass-produced **** right now so long as it doesn't fall to pieces right away.

Arche

Reaction score
Well, I've finally got around to posting some fit pics of my recent acquisitions. I'll start with the most exciting one, the "parachute" jacket that davidlee posted a while back. I won't repeat the detailed descriptions David gave. I only want to reiterate that it really is an amazing piece. The trousers here are from the same collection and of the same wonderful thick wool fabric (HN-P16-101). I picked the trousers up a while ago, and I'm really glad that they match this jacket so well. The only annoying thing is that it's summer here, so I'll have to wait quite a while before I can wear this outfit.

Arche

Reaction score
The next item is not as exciting, but still great. It's a Y's suit I thrifted for $10! The season code is MJ. It's a 100% wool gab. I particularly like the trousers.

Last edited:

Arche

Reaction score
Next up are two pairs of YYPH trousers, (again paired with the parachute jacket). I'm not certain, but I think the first ones might be the trousers that go with the zipper suit. If they are, I'll hopefully pick up the jacket in the future. They look similar. The code is **-P10-100.

The next trousers are from the same collection. This time a 65% Wool 35% Nylon blend. I really like these trousers. The fabric is really heavy-duty and they have zips at the back.I think I may have seen Asobu wearing a similar pair. The code for these ones is **-P36-109.

Arche

Reaction score
Apologies for putting up so much stuff at once, but I haven't had a chance to post pics for a while. To wind up, two more: Firstly, this interesting jacket from a S/S collection from a while back. I can't remember right now which one. The fit pics I made didn't turn out, so I'm posting a runway shot for now. The pleats on the front got halfway round the back. That section of the jacket is unlined and the pleats move very fluidly when you turn (difficult to capture in a photo though.)

The second piece is a long linen shirt with some embroidery on the front. Again, can't tell the season because the care tag is too faded. It's very light, grey linen (perfect for an Australian summer). I'm wearing it hear underneath the long coat from the Romany collection I picked up a while ago.

And here is a detail of the embroidery:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads