• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Harlock66

Reaction score
Finally achieved the lifelong dream of visiting a YY store (on the Rue Cambon) and picking up a staggeringly beautiful black garbadine reversible jacket (yes, pricey but it was my reward).

Thanks to David, since I dropped his name to Laurence, who was great and she told me when something looked good on me and when it was "non."

Just a quick sample pic for the road:

davidlee388

Reaction score

Finally achieved the lifelong dream of visiting a YY store (on the Rue Cambon) and picking up a staggeringly beautiful black garbadine reversible jacket (yes, pricey but it was my reward.

Glad you enjoyed the store visit. That reversible blazer is a favorite of mine too. I know you are fond of the stand collar, I'm particularly impressed by the 11 button closure, also being reversible means it's not half lined so it's a good trans-seasonal piece as well. Finally that little ruched shoulder finish is pure genius.

Last edited:

Harlock66

Reaction score
Could not have phrased it better myself. It's simply beautiful and more importantly, extremely cozy. The shoulder is indeed a work of art. The stand collar makes me swoon:]

davidlee388

Reaction score

So looking forward to visit a Yohji boutique in Tokyo this coming April.

@david:

Have you been to Tokyo before? In terms of YY stock level, I was advised in this decending order:-

YY Aoyama Flagship ( obviously ) > Isetan Shinjuku > Seibu Shibuya > Tokyu Ginza + 0101 ( Marui ) Shinjuku + Matsuya Ginza

This should cover all your ss15 enquiries :)

Last edited:

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you guys go to Japan do you declare your purchases at customs or do you remove the tags and hope they don't notice that you're bringing back new MIJ stuff? Just curious what's the best way to deal with it. Dropping a load of money in JP isn't as appealing if you have to pay customs as well. Is it taxed locally too?

sepp

Reaction score
Thanks David,

This will be my first visit to Japan. Staying near Shinjuku and hope to at least visit 2-3 of the places you mentioned above. I reckon they will only be stocking SS15 stuff there and perhaps some leftovers from AW14.

Are they any pieces that resembled or is actually a hakama pants in the SS15 collection? I went through the pics a few times and at most I do see some loose cut or wrap around pants. Hoping it is possible for me to get a pair of YY hakama there.

@caveat, I think it's subjected to different countries customs as whether one will be taxed for bringing in new clothes for personal use.

davidlee388

Reaction score
@sepp You are very welcome. Afaik if you go in April there will only be ss15 stuff to be found in YY retailers and aw14 are long gone by then.

There have been re-editions of popular pieces in recent years especially pants in wool gabardine but hakama pants were standout pieces from ss12 so imo there aren't any re-editions of those in ss15, they are not recent enough to be done so. Of course it depends on how one defines hakama pants. The favorite pants that were popular in ss14/aw14 were wrap pants so there may be available again this season, in fact I think they are.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
is anyone here bidding on the aw13 brushed wool trousers in size 3 from anji ? sorry i keep driving your price up, i wanted it but now it's beyond what i'm willing to part with. and same goes for all the other pants i just tried bidding on :eek:

Last edited:

sepp

Reaction score
@david, thanks for the pointers.

@shah, you were talking about Y! I did tried (via buyee) for 2-3 times for some hakamas but it was outbidded last minute and once had the auction called off. (Not bidding on your item but just sharing my frustration here as well).

xeraphim

Reaction score
is anyone here bidding on the aw13 brushed wool trousers in size 3 from anji ? sorry i keep driving your price up, i wanted it but now it's beyond what i'm willing to part with. and same goes for all the other pants i just tried bidding on
redface.gif

i got them, would've passed if i knew you were bidding! wanted the aw14 pair more but the price was just too much.

kingsolomon

Reaction score
@sepp

If your just in Tokyo then you should definitely it some of the second hand stores that stock Yohji.
DC Bank, Bring, Ragtag, Rinkan and Modscape all have locations in Shinjuku if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if the Ragtag and Modscape Shinjuku stores sell Yohji but worth a try.

Also with the Yohji Aoyama don't have high expectations. It's just another retail space; there's definitely more interesting stuff out there (infact go to 1ldk or pool aoyama if you can: not yohji though). But it's definitely fun to shop at the flag ship and the staff there are great.

Enjoy Japan though! It's a lovely place loads to do and see. If you like the bar scene go to Ebisu and Shibuya. I'm heading up there again in June, I'm already saving for a massive Yohji binge.

myname

Reaction score
Also with the Yohji Aoyama don't have high expectations. It's just another retail space; there's definitely more interesting stuff out there...

Have to respectfully disagree...
smile.gif

For me, there's a clam and grace to shopping at Yohji Aoyama that I don't find anywhere else in Tokyo (and it's a cut above the London or Paris locations - and even the old Antwerp and NY shops). The layout / interior / furniture / music all seem to fit the clothes perfectly. For this Yohji fan at least, I can't see there being anywhere better to shop.

davidlee388

Reaction score
Tend to agree with @myname as well. The Aoyama flagship offers the kind of calm atmosphere that other YY retailers inside big, noisy department stores simply cannot provide. It sells all YYPH, YYF, YY Noir, YY Discord pieces released at any given time within one big beautiful space whereas you often have to go to a different floor ( or even a different building ) in say Seibu and Isetan to see men's/women's stuff. It also sells YY Homme Jeans, YY lugguage, YY Glasses and Gothic YY that aren't represented comprehensively elsewhere. Saying that, size availability is all inter-connected among all stores so pieces can be transferred if required.

The flagship also tries very hard to display the seasonal keypieces to the customers so we get the " feel" of the season. YYF is on the ground floor so obviously it takes centre stage. This season the last Look dramatic Wedding Dress is proudly/beautifully displayed, last season there were at least 6 rare silk printed Futon Coats on show, simply breathtaking.

Finally the flagship has tons of room for customers to try clothes on and experience them gracefully in motion, such an important part of understanding the Master's work.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads