• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

namdaemun

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

How do we determine what season a certain item is from? I've a YY green sweater but can't figure it out. Thanks!

dantebykiko

Reaction score
**** off. why all you F***ers coming and asking to ID seasons? what difference make? just wear the ******* jumper if you like it. so tired of hype riding IDIOTS.

and if you think this sounds rude, maybe you should try and read the bloody thread first? everything is explained. everything. HOW TO BUY CHEAP, HOW TO KNOW WHAT SEASON IS IT, AND HOW TO ******* WEAR IT. and you all STILL don't get it. (well you get the buying part very well).

Last edited:

TroubIe

Reaction score
Some of the looks in motion + Yohji explaining the collection:

http://dai.ly/x19uein

More of the looks in motion:

0.jpg

The "Yohji" Skull:

Coffin Zips:

The Skulls and "Beast" (Wolf, Tiger, Bulldog, Snake) prints were designed by Tadashi Kubo, Yohji's longtime assistant / right hand man for YYPH. I wonder what other pieces from previous collections may have been designed by him. Did a bit of Googling:

Photo of him with Yohji, from Valter's tumblr:

The crazy "cartoon" pieces towards the end were done in collaboration with artist Yasuto Sasada.

Which I think reflects on some of the artwork in this collection:

"Ancient" / Past:

"Technological" / Modern / Distant Future:

While I would not wear any of these pieces, I think the artwork goes very well with the message / intent of the collection. Life is short, why not try something new? A reminder of what was, is, and is to be.

I've gone back and thoroughly looked at the collection a few times since yesterday, and I have to say it is growing on me. Lots of details and under layer pieces I did not notice before that I like and would definitely be excellent in black as well.

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was guilty of this early on. But if you like yohji then you will enjoying reading this forum and enjoy getting those answers from reading this forum :)

and if you require self interest then reading this forum will let you develop what it is about his collections that appeal to you and how you would like to wear his clothing and gain an appreciation for his craft so that its not just wearing it or owning it that appeals to you

Last edited:

namdaemun

Reaction score
**** off. why all you F***ers coming and asking to ID seasons? what difference make? just wear the ******* jumper if you like it. so tired of hype riding IDIOTS.

and if you think this sounds rude, maybe you should try and read the bloody thread first? everything is explained. everything. HOW TO BUY CHEAP, HOW TO KNOW WHAT SEASON IS IT, AND HOW TO ******* WEAR IT. and you all STILL don't get it. (well you get the buying part very well).
Annndddddd the biggest douche award goes to ... you!

Jeez man, calm the f* down and get laid once in awhile. Who gives a sh*t whether or not I'm asking for identification or not. Just. Dont. Comment. Or. Ignore. Me.

F*n pr*ck

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
He might have been rude to you but he's none of the things you claim. In fact, he's one of the most knowledgable people on Yohji here, and dresses better in Yohji than almost anyone. And what he was saying is right. If you had actually bothered to read the thread, you'd find all sorts of useful information (in fact, everything about how to answer your question). If you had given some indication that you had done this and were still having problems, I am sure people would be happy to help.

Last edited:

davidlee388

Reaction score
@FlyingMonkey I almost agree on everything you said. You seem to be a gentle soul. At the same time no comment/ignoring is sometimes the best policy in an online forum.

Also it's not what one said, it's how it's said.

Back to AW14, looking at the close up of those prints, very high prices ( whether it's retail or 2nd hand on Y!/eBay in future ) are almost a given. I also wonder what it's gonna be like for Y-3 Runway in Paris ( today )? The Master is on fire :)

Last edited:

StevenE

Reaction score
At first glance the Y-3 show seems incredibly restrained - sharp contrast to the bright floral prints and neon stylings of the last three-or-so seasons.The mainline show had led me to expect something more outrageous, but he's nothing if not surprising. First impressions is that it's quite a strong, well-balanced collection - the calm after the storm maybe.

I'm liking the capes a lot.

check out vogue's coverage here: http://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/autumn-winter-2014/mens/y-3 - it looks like Yohji's enjoying his leather pants!

Last edited:

wireartists

Reaction score
capes are way nicer than the ones he did recently for pour homme, those were impossible to wear without looking like Van Helsing.

davidlee388

Reaction score
I think he wore leather pants at the end of PH show. .

The Y-3 show was nice. The mens footwear good too in that some plain black sneakers/boots that can be incorporated in the mainline pieces, at least for me. Y-3 in the past 4/5 seasons produced some very cool womens black military boots ( no mens versions ) that eluded me due to size availability in the sale :(

@wire lol to the Van Helsing reference of the AW12 capes. Yohji-San probably paid tribute too to LOTR that season with those Gandalfish hats haha.

StevenE

Reaction score
The Y-3 show was nice. The mens footwear good too in that some plain black sneakers/boots that can be incorporated in the mainline pieces, at least for me. Y-3 in the past 4/5 seasons produced some very cool womens black military boots ( no mens versions ) that eluded me due to size availability in the sale
frown.gif
I was actually thinking that quite a lot of it looks like it could fit into a wider YYPH wardrobe quite well. Honestly this is one of the first Y-3 shows that I've looked at and could imagine actually wanting to wear it. In the past I've gravitated towards the more obvious statement pieces (like S/S13's floral jackets and coats) and been less interested in the collection as a whole.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this is not the orthodox but there are more Y-3 pieces I would actually end up wearing any given day than there are YYPH. Obviously YYPH is unparalleled but I think I am going to slowly build up some y-3 in my life. Mostly because many of the thermal type things I can hide under scrubs :)

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im also a fan of y3 bene, no shame in that! its good stuff.
i definitely need to pick up the qasa this time around :slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads