• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
very nice indeed, shifu ! would love to see it in motion hah

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all these links are keeping me motivated to save up for a big yohji purchase at the end of the year
there probably wont be much spring stuff left but if there is and its good (and lets be honest, most of it is) I will be dramatically upgrading my collection!

edit: The tanks are a little rediculous though. I'd be surprised if they sell well. Not worth 500 dollars for cotton tanks that look like longer AA tanks.

Last edited:

dantebykiko

Reaction score
pretty sure they will go as fast as the rest of the stuff. its ridiculous to compare yohji cotton with AA cotton.

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that feel is superior to design. But a cotton tank has a pretty low upper ceiling on how great it can feel. Esp since materials like viscose and linen are lighter and softer in making them better for summer wear.

I don't think the 500 dollars for that tank is justified on feel or aesthetic.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, not to start a whole pricing discussion, but it is worth noting that Yohji's print stuff tends to be priced pretty high generally because of how he gets them done. It's usually a little bit more involved than just a straightforward automated silk screen print or heat transfer deal. Might be worth digging up some background on how the prints for the tees were done in the first place actually.

There are some cool videos on V&A that show the various print methods Yohji tends to use and they are all done by old craftspeople in Japan by hand (like the silk jackets from SS12 or the hand embroidered jackets from SS11 to quote more recent examples.)

Hand-done work in Japan is pretty expensive from what I understand. Not justifying the pricing, just saying that that is usually how it goes with Yohji's printed/embroidered items.

dantebykiko

Reaction score
also most of the tanks are knitted and depending on the knit it can be very expensive. not to say all little details and slits. its not like someone took scissors and cut it open. as yegwa said the prints are even more expensive because yohji doesn't use some mass production factory. + shipping, taxes etc. and last lets not forget that you paying for the design too. some people losing sleep over those basic tanks.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much to learn :)
I guess for me it seems excessive. the little detail that he puts in to everything is being missed by me/under appreciated in the case of these.

Still, not my cup of tea.

twistedSADISTIC

Reaction score

hey guys, i was wondering if any of you have handled this at all? i left it alone before because it looked so fragile, but it recently popped up on LN-CC for 80% off, and at that price i couldn't pass it up.

it looks like it wouldn't last a week to be honest, i want to know if perhaps it may be more durable than it looks? if worst comes to worst i'm sure it'd make a nice scarf though.

Last edited:

davidlee388

Reaction score

Much to learn :)
I guess for me it seems excessive. the little detail that he puts in to everything is being missed by me/under appreciated in the case of these.

Still, not my cup of tea.

You just summed up your discussion by the last sentence. If you see some blazers and pants you like a lot you'll find ways to justify the price.

Generally speaking western customers are being charged a lot more ( not just Tees, everything ) for Yohji. It's geography I'm afraid. You win some, you lose some. People in HK pay considerably more for Paul Smith, Giorgio Armani, Tom Ford etc.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certainly. It's probably more so my view of the tank as a piece of clothing. A long white relaxed fit tank is pretty much perfection in my eyes. And that can be less than 50 bucks. Whereas things like knits or blazers or trousers are more versatile in my mind. So a yohji blazer which has so many interesting details and twists is an intellectual design pleasure whereas a tank is just a simple tank. Much like I would just wear a black t shirt from a no name.

Last edited:

esox

Reaction score
i think it all depends on what somebody want.

if you want a black tee that not many ppl own - even when it looks like a normal tee - then you have to pay 400.- for a "normal" tee.
i own several tees of yyph and miyake and yes, its good quality but not better than the normal tees i wear from an italian company and they cost 70.- euro.

printed tees are a different cup of tea.
smile.gif

dantebykiko

Reaction score
do somebody know the fit of this item?

it looks a bit on the smaller side.

http://www.ikkon.com/double-front-jacket.html

i am a bit cautious because many ss 12 items did not fit me even in size 4 and the items are final sale.

thanx in advance.

maybe this will help you to understand how it will fit you:

Model Notes:
• Height: 6'2”
• Chest: 39
• Model is wearing a Yohji size 3 /Medium

davidlee388

Reaction score

Certainly. It's probably more so my view of the tank as a piece of clothing. A long white relaxed fit tank is pretty much perfection in my eyes. And that can be less than 50 bucks. Whereas things like knits or blazers or trousers are more versatile in my mind. So a yohji blazer which has so many interesting details and twists is an intellectual design pleasure whereas a tank is just a simple tank. Much like I would just wear a black t shirt from a no name.

I look at any piece of ( Yohji ) clothing in 3 criteria regarding if it justifies the price.

1. Design/cut/construction
2. Fabric
3. 1 & 2 combined

So take a tank as an example I guess there's not a lot of innovative/trick construction that can set it apart from a lesser brand ( in terms of heritage/reputation ) then one has to look at the fabric. However when an online store just describes something as cotton is to sell it really short. Fabrics are such important backbones in Yohji clothing to achieve its particular aesthetics and silhouettes. You really have to handle and try those tanks on then you may start to understand why they cost the way they cost.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AsleyJaron