• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yelp and Restaurant Week

Nahmeanz

Reaction score
Does anyone else find that Yelp is riddled with wannabe food critics who go to expensive restaurants during restaurant week and then give the restaurants low ratings based on a limited menu? These people go to restaurants and pay for maybe half as much as it would usually cost for a meal there and are extra critical. How do they expect to fully experience and rate the restaurant when 90% of restaurant week menus have free-range chicken as the entree? I think Yelp as a whole isn't helpful because people tend to go there to post about their complaints rather than their praises. I guess I should expect it seeing that people go on Yelp to compare their local Taco Bells or giving 1 star ratings for having to wait for a table they didn't reserve.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
annnnnnnd /rant

I like yelp. But I would never make a judgment based on what I read there. I use it less for the review and more for information about various venues that is not available anywhere else.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I think you have to judge the Yelp reviews based on the entirety of ratings, not just individual reviews.

It also helps to find other reviewers with whom you agree and add them to your friends list so you can see when they have new reviews.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
That phenomenon is not just limited to yelp.

Nor is it limited to restaurant week.

I take EVERYTHING in Yelp with a grain of salt. Most people are idiots, thus, most people posting on yelp are idiots. Why would I take THEIR advice??

Zagat isn't a whole lot better. Remember how the ratings / reviews get there.

lexybeast

Reaction score
Complicating it are claims from business owners that Yelp has become the online mafia. Even if those accusations are baseless, the reviews are pretty useless I find because frankly they have a lot of tasteless idiots on there. Funnier still are those among them who are snobby about Yelp and will only eat at places rated 4 stars or higher. Yeah, I know people like that. OK site for maps and restaurant info and that's about it.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find Yelp ratings to be really helpful. But I have heard from people in the restaurant biz that Yelp can be pretty tyrannical and has way too much power to drive your customers away based on a couple bad reviews.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads