• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yellow Hook Appreciation Thread

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey @NewYorkIslander when are you going to ship my ties? I want to wear them!
cheers.gif

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time to do some well deserved YH horn tooting. Earlier this year, I posted in the thread inquiring as to whether anybody was willing to part with any of the older classic YHs...obviously there were no takers lol.

However, I think the next day Rob hit me up saying he would check into the availability of some of the fabrics I was looking for. He found a pair, and offered to do a couple MTOs for me. Mind you, while I made the initial inquiry in the thread, the call to action was entirely Rob's initiative. I asked to have them made up slightly wider (3.75") than normal. Below is a crap pic, but most here will know the awesomeness of the fabrics.

Left is the Cyclone Flax. For better or worse, this is probably the classic YH tie in my mind...I was super pumped to find that there was enough of this for a MTO. Such an awesomely "raw" fabric, that feels much grittier than a normal linen.

Middle is I believe a Zegna navy houndstooth, in a wool/silk/linen. Another awesome fabric...with the houndstooth being such a deep navy it almost resolves to black...and one can never have enough (almost) solid navy ties.

Right is a hand printed Italian paisley silk from one of YH's earliest endeavors with the style, and holy ****, this thing is so light it's absurd. It's featherlight, to the point it doesn't even drape when jostled about...to say it flutters is probably more accurate. The awesome part is that the paisley is subdued enough that it almost becomes a neat-ish pattern, which will easily work with a suit. Seriously ridiculous. I don't think I've ever handled an airier tie.

Anyhoo, sorry for the rambling, but absolutely had to show Rob and Courtney the love they so thoroughly deserve...mind blowing customer service.

Edit: nearly forgot to mention that the paisley was a freebie that Rob threw in for no reason other than he's the man!

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Time to do some well deserved YH horn tooting. Earlier this year, I posted in the thread inquiring as to whether anybody was willing to part with any of the older classic YHs...obviously there were no takers lol.

However, I think the next day Rob hit me up saying he would check into the availability of some of the fabrics I was looking for. He found a pair, and offered to do a couple MTOs for me. Mind you, while I made the initial inquiry in the thread, the call to action was entirely Rob's initiative. I asked to have them made up slightly wider (3.75") than normal. Below is a crap pic, but most here will know the awesomeness of the fabrics.

Left is the Cyclone Flax. For better or worse, this is probably the classic YH tie in my mind...I was super pumped to find that there was enough of this for a MTO. Such an awesomely "raw" fabric, that feels much grittier than a normal linen.

Middle is I believe a Zegna navy houndstooth, in a wool/silk/linen. Another awesome fabric...with the houndstooth being such a deep navy it almost resolves to black...and one can never have enough (almost) solid navy ties.

Right is a hand printed Italian paisley silk from one of YH's earliest endeavors with the style, and holy ****, this thing is so light it's absurd. It's featherlight, to the point it doesn't even drape when jostled about...to say it flutters is probably more accurate. The awesome part is that the paisley is subdued enough that it almost becomes a neat-ish pattern, which will easily work with a suit. Seriously ridiculous. I don't think I've ever handled an airier tie.

Anyhoo, sorry for the rambling, but absolutely had to show Rob and Courtney the love they so thoroughly deserve...mind blowing customer service.

Edit: nearly forgot to mention that the paisley was a freebie that Rob threw in for no reason other than he's the man
!

Enjoy them bud! I always rave about the Italian Handprinted Silks, they seriously are lighter than anything I've ever felt, just incredible right?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Certainly.

While fit is almost certainly subjective, I find that many of the Neapolitan brands RTW are just too slim and English brands either too slim or too baggy. While many great shirt makers offer shirts made by hand, their prices are well into $400-$500. While our prices haven't been nailed down yet, I can tell you they won't be near that, and you get the same quality hand make that you would from them. All single needle stitching makes us one of the few American shirt makers offering that RTW and the entire process is done by hand. There's no computerized patterns and cutting and it's all operated by expert craftsmen in a small workroom, not a factory floor. Our shirts have a softness to them that my Borelli and Finamore do not. Charvet RTW are notoriously overpriced and underwhelming when compared to their bespoke Paris offerings (which I will not try to compare our stuff to) and English brands have collars that are far too structured. I feel we've married the best of all three. The fabric quality of Charvet, durability of T&A, and surpassed the softness of Finamore and Borelli.

In terms of fit, our shirts will be a common middle ground between the "too baggy" and the "too slim" and should fit almost every body type. The summer oxford material we've sourced is incredibly lightweight and breathable and our chambray is durable and will stand up to repeated washes and wears.

But honestly, what makes these "better" is the fact that these are made right here in the US, and right here in the NY Metro area. As a consumer, for me knowing I'm helping the American economy and in particular my local NYC economy means more to me than anything. For decades we were taught that if it was luxurious (read expensive) and "better" it had to come from Europe. I think our ties challenge that notion and I think our customers agree. American made clothing was meant to "stand the test of time" and be "durable"...words you'd associate with workwear and tools, but not with #menswear. We've left the luxury to the Italians, and the French, and the English. Most of our customers are Americans and we think they'd agree with us that.

I also think what separates us is passion. I don't do this because I have to, I do it because I love it. Literally. When it comes to 99% of other makers this is their livelihood. They need to sell. For me, I make what I like, the way I like it. I've experienced the best of what brands around the world have to offer, and I feel I've taken what was good, cut out what wasn't, and made it our own here with YH. But we don't need to focus solely on the income, we focus on the outcome. With bigger businesses, the bottom line counts more. We don't price to wholesale, are extremely selective in who we work with, and how we work, and I feel it makes us better. We're proud to work small, and we also recognize that it may not be sustainable long term, we will work to ensure that the quality will always be there. We're not in this as investors, or see this as a way to "make it" and I think it's what separates us from just about everyone else. Don't get me wrong, we're no Etsy operation, and we know there is quality out there, but we feel we're just as good, with that little extra that makes us different.

you're the man, man.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My loot arrived today and as always, I am super impressed. If you haven't already purchased it, you need the the Summer Blue Streaky cashmere/linen/silk in your collection. It is just stupid soft and a perfect color for the season. I can't recommend it highly enough.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For those who are interested, the Made in Brooklyn Denim Work Shirts WILL be happening. We have "saved" some very small pieces of denim and our first batch will be EXTREMELY limited in number, and each shirt will be hand numbered. Final numbers are not yet in, but don't expect more than 15 for any of the styles with some of the shirts only yielding one or two pieces. Here's one that we'll be running, a super cool light blue Italian Denim originally milled for Ralph Lauren.

The pattern is based on an 1890's dress shirt pattern with a really cool divided placket that can be worn either tucked in or out. We'll also have two different chest pocket styles, one with one for a smart phone and/or small notebook and one with two rounded flap pockets. All of these shirts are stitched by industrial Juki single needle machines and feature keyhole button holes with metal buttons. It's all I've been wearing lately.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads