• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTF just happened?!?!?!

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me once. I was just sitting there, chatting on ICQ (this was back in jr high), when suddenly my CD-ROM drive started going in and out explicably, then mp3's just started playing inexplicably. I tried to play some game (Sango Fighter if I remember correctly), and suddenly it went into 2-player mode without me doing it, and the other guy actually started fighting! Freaked me out, I told my friend on ICQ about it and he didn't believe me. I was a little scared of my computer for awhile, then the guy told me a few days later he sent me a trojan horse virus as a joke that let him remotely control my computer. Apparently it's some application that was designed for a legitimate purpose, and it technically not a virus, and the company that made it campaigned pretty hard to make sure that anti-virus programs wouldn't "detect" it as a virus.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Having been a youth of the 70s ... sounds like a bad (LSD) trip to me.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^To better make my point ... I remember talking with a pine tree.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
^^^To better make my point ... I remember talking with a pine tree.

wow.gif

millionaire75

Reaction score
One time years ago I had my computer on but wasn't using it and the disk drive opened by itself and an evil little laugh came from the computer. Scared the sh*t out of me. I assumed it was some sort of spyware/virus. Don't even remember now how I fixed it. I was scared sh*tless though as I was living alone at the time.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smudge
A few years back I was at my parents house on the family PC (they live on the other side of the world to me), I did a Google search on something mundane (a family member actually) when all of a sudden the computer started "screaming" at me (couldn't make out what it was saying but it sounded pretty violent. Freaked me out somewhat as I was expecting to see results of the above-mentioned relative's recent professional success.

Looking back I reckon it was payback for all the times I have yelled at computers. I talk nicely to them now.

Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Same thing happened to me once. I was just sitting there, chatting on ICQ (this was back in jr high), when suddenly my CD-ROM drive started going in and out explicably, then mp3's just started playing inexplicably. I tried to play some game (Sango Fighter if I remember correctly), and suddenly it went into 2-player mode without me doing it, and the other guy actually started fighting! Freaked me out, I told my friend on ICQ about it and he didn't believe me. I was a little scared of my computer for awhile, then the guy told me a few days later he sent me a trojan horse virus as a joke that let him remotely control my computer. Apparently it's some application that was designed for a legitimate purpose, and it technically not a virus, and the company that made it campaigned pretty hard to make sure that anti-virus programs wouldn't "detect" it as a virus.

Originally Posted by millionaire75
One time years ago I had my computer on but wasn't using it and the disk drive opened by itself and an evil little laugh came from the computer. Scared the sh*t out of me. I assumed it was some sort of spyware/virus. Don't even remember now how I fixed it. I was scared sh*tless though as I was living alone at the time.

this stuff is crazy

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
you didnt figure out what was going on yet?

no. I'm running a scan now, but nothing is coming up. Only thing is a "tracking cookie" that has come up on every scan since who knows when. FWIW maybe 25 minutes ago I heard a "finish" commercial (I think its for dishwasher soap
confused.gif
)

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you have system restore? And have you saved to it recently?

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Do you have system restore? And have you saved to it recently?

I think I have a system restore button somewhere on my start menu. I remember once I tried doing it to see if I could recover some files, but that did not work. I don't save to it, but I thought it would automatically save restore points. Immediately after this scan, I will check that out. Thanks for the good idea lol.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads