• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working with a Personal Trainer--How Long?

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been working with a personal trainer three times a week since June. It has been one of the best things I've ever done. I've learned much; I feel great. I am losing some of the fat around the waist and am developing some much needed muscle. I can't believe that I never discovered this before. Better late than never. Right now, I am signed up to continue through the end of January.

At some point, the three times a week training sessions will come to an end, and I will have to keep doing all the fitness training on my own. While reasonable, the sessions are an expense. But an expense that I believe has been worth every penny. My trainer is not the type to put pressure to continue. He is a good teacher and is putting me on the right path.

I am curious--especially for those on the Forum who have worked with a personal trainer--as to how long you have worked with one? What criteria do you use to determine when it is time to go it on your own? Are there people who work with a trainer but only on occasion?

Any thoughts, experiences, or comments will be of interest. Thanks!

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
The only one I liked was a professor of mine when I was taking kinesiology and nutrition classes in college. We were training partners so it was free.

I've worked with a few since then but didn't like any of them. If you like your guy, you can absolutely hire him once every couple months. After 8 weeks, he'll be able to help you out of ruts you've gotten stuck in since the last session, and show you new stuff to keep you fresh.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worked with a trainer two times a week for a full year. It was a great, long-term goal, and over 12 months you learn a lot. After years of school sports and belonging to gyms I never thought I would learn as much as I did. But a year was enough to learn. I had no problem continuing on my own for the next two years and keeping a consistant pace. Hopefully you can too. But after a year, if you find yourself slacking, well maybe the trainer is important for motivation, and that is a good enough reason to continue. Good luck! Hey, doesn't feel great to be fit?

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worked with my personal trainer until I basically knew everything we were going to do each session, and was able to recreate it over and over. I also by this time had a good grasp on how each muscle works, and what works well for me to get maximum results. I started with my trainer 3 days a week for about 3 months, and then did 4 days a week for about 3 months, and by the end of the 6th month I was ready to work out alone.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer
I have been working with a personal trainer three times a week since June. It has been one of the best things I've ever done. I've learned much; I feel great. I am losing some of the fat around the waist and am developing some much needed muscle. I can't believe that I never discovered this before. Better late than never. Right now, I am signed up to continue through the end of January.

At some point, the three times a week training sessions will come to an end, and I will have to keep doing all the fitness training on my own. While reasonable, the sessions are an expense. But an expense that I believe has been worth every penny. My trainer is not the type to put pressure to continue. He is a good teacher and is putting me on the right path.

I am curious--especially for those on the Forum who have worked with a personal trainer--as to how long you have worked with one? What criteria do you use to determine when it is time to go it on your own? Are there people who work with a trainer but only on occasion?

Any thoughts, experiences, or comments will be of interest. Thanks!

Honestly, many of the advantages of a trainer could be obtained if you read up the issues involved. By now, you should have gained enough insight and information from your trainer. Therefore unless you are lazy or cannot find the self motivation, you can 'fire' your trainer and hire him back maybe 3 months later if you feel your fitness has plateaued.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't worked with a strength/conditioning coach since HS/college, but my opinion would be that you should work with one until you know how to design your own routine and know the correct form for all the lifts you intend to incorporate into that routine.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I'm with drizzt. If somebody truely doesn't need me, then I'm not going to tell them they need to. I have one client who doesn't really need me, but he trains with me 2x a week because we're pretty much best friends and just bullshit the entire time and I show him new exercises to things fresh. Even though I'm a personal trainer, if I had the disposable income I would definately train with some other guys from work who are on another level. You can always learn something new. That said, if your personal trainer isn't changing things up and you know exactly what you're going to do every day (that is not a good personal trainer) then by all means, discontinue training with him and train on your own, and just check back in every couple of months to make sure you're on the right track.

But in short, if you have the accountability and knowledge to effectively work out on your own, then no it isn't necessary. But knowledge and accountability aren't things easily owned.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
90% of the benefit of a trainer is the regular schedule and the motivation (enforced compliance). If you stop the trainer and stick to a regular schedule then you'll maintain what you've gained. But beware -- the trainer will not let go of you easily.

I went to a physical therapist for a shoulder problem and learned enough exercises (and things to avoid) after 10 sessions that I could exercise on my own. Shoulder pain is gone and I've gotten stronger, and didn't cost a cent (with the insurance I had at the time).

adversity04

Reaction score
What drizz and Eason said. Use him until you're able to workout on your own. It also helps to get interested about health and fitness outside of your time with him and do learning on your own. Each trainer has their own methodology and there might be one that you mesh with better without knowing it. Knowledge is power :p

Jason762

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
That said, if your personal trainer isn't changing things up and you know exactly what you're going to do every day (that is not a good personal trainer) then by all means, discontinue training with him and train on your own, and just check back in every couple of months to make sure you're on the right track.
Really? When I used to lift weights I'd do the same routine 3 times a week for several months, until I notice lagging body parts, at which point I'd focus on said body part or additional sets & reps. I'm no certified trainer, but I've read enough that I have become self-educated and one author Stuart McRobert say to stick with a program. Many (natural) bodybuilders seem to agree. I've never heard an argument for switching up routines. I'm curious to hear yours.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jason762
I've never heard an argument for switching up routine.
Really?
I'm no certified trainer, but I've read enough that I have become self-educated
Have not.

adversity04

Reaction score
www.crossfit.com

Constantly varied high intensity workouts. Read up and I'm sure you'll be amazed at the kinds of things these people are doing compared to what you are. If anything, think of 300, it's what everything they did was based off of.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Really?

Have not.

Well, if you're talking about switching things up every session, then I'd agree with Jason. You should have a pretty good idea what you're going to do next time, because you and your trainer should be working towards a goal and have a set schedule on when to do what and for how many sets. If you're not sticking with the same routine for at least 8 to 12 weeks, you're just running in circles.

If you're paying the trainer just for the motivation, it's time to lose the trainer and find a good partner.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Really? When I used to lift weights I'd do the same routine 3 times a week for several months, until I notice lagging body parts, at which point I'd focus on said body part or additional sets & reps.

I'm no certified trainer, but I've read enough that I have become self-educated and one author Stuart McRobert say to stick with a program. Many (natural) bodybuilders seem to agree.

I've never heard an argument for switching up routines. I'm curious to hear yours.

When somebody is first starting strength training, yes it's a good idea to do the same exercises so they are able to learn the proper technique and breathing. However, if you keep doing the same exercises every day, week in week out, you will get bored mentally and tired physically and plateau quickly.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
Well, if you're talking about switching things up every session, then I'd agree with Jason. You should have a pretty good idea what you're going to do next time, because you and your trainer should be working towards a goal and have a set schedule on when to do what and for how many sets. If you're not sticking with the same routine for at least 8 to 12 weeks, you're just running in circles.
You got a point. That said, I find following a rigid routine for any extended period of time rather fruitless. I do know a few core exercises and what muscles to hit well in advanced of each workout and go from there. How else can one possibly fit power lifts, plyo, crossfit-styled, and some isolated exercises, done in regular/negative/superset/tabatas/HIIT manners in 3-4 lift days per week?

Originally Posted by Eason
When somebody is first starting strength training, yes it's a good idea to do the same exercises so they are able to learn the proper technique and breathing. However, if you keep doing the same exercises every day, week in week out, you will get bored mentally and tired physically and plateau quickly.
+1. It's also good to keep your muscle guessing and thus operate at highest possible intensity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads