• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 721LTD Shell Cordovan 1000 Mile Boot Review

FENWAY

Reaction score
A light application of Venetian or Saphir every six months to a year should be adequate

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He does awesome work. Did you find him on Instagram?

I can't remember where; he's all over sufu, denimbro, instagram, et al. It was spendy, but I love these boots, so why not? They were getting due-ish for a resole, so I decided I wanted something that looked more White's-esque. It was funny that he resoled someone else's 721's with a single midsole like a week before me :)

mistercitizen

Reaction score
Got a pair of these in size 11 D today. They seem a bit tight with my heavy boot socks on. Once again, I find myself buying a pair of boots off of the internet having done my research and being fairly sure of the size I would need, only to find that it is the wrong size. This happened to me with a pair of Alden Indy 405's in color 8. I wear a size 11 B/D in the Barrie Last PTB's so I buy a pair of size 11 B/D Trubalance Last Indy Boots.... and the Indy Boots are too small. Not by much, but too small for me to deal with. Afterward, I ended up thinking about how my Barrie Last PTB's in size 11 B/D are fairly snug with only a thinner dress sock.... and it's even got me wondering if should be wearing an 11.5 B/D in my Barrie Last shoes..... but anyway.

I have two pairs of Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots..... both in 11 D. The Addison and the Krause. They fight fine, although I'm still a bit baffled at the fit. They are tight on the sides, but the combination of the supple leather used on those boots and the roomy nature of the toe box otherwise (plenty of height) make the narrow width at the widest part of my foot comfortable. The heel and arch area are looser than I would like if anything..... but I lace them up tight and I'm fine. They are comfortable, but not the best fitting boot in the world.

These, are tight at the widest part of my foot, but seem fine in the arch and heel area. The length may be just a bit short, and the height of the toe box is lower than my other 1000 Mile boots. I think that the stiff shell cordovan leather does not and will not stretch at the widest part of my foot like I need it too. Maybe with thinner socks, it would be okay...... but these are boots and I want to wear thicker socks with them.

What a let down. They are beautiful boots and you can't just exchange them for the next half size up since they don't make them anymore.

Ben

azcodito

Reaction score

Got a pair of these in size 11 D today.  They seem a bit tight with my heavy boot socks on.  Once again, I find myself buying a pair of boots off of the internet having done my research and being fairly sure of the size I would need, only to find that it is the wrong size.  This happened to me with a pair of Alden Indy 405's in color 8.  I wear a size 11 B/D in the Barrie Last PTB's so I buy a pair of size 11 B/D Trubalance Last Indy Boots.... and the Indy Boots are too small.  Not by much, but too small for me to deal with.  Afterward, I ended up thinking about how my Barrie Last PTB's in size 11 B/D are fairly snug with only a thinner dress sock.... and it's even got me wondering if should be wearing an 11.5 B/D in my Barrie Last shoes..... but anyway.

I have two pairs of Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots..... both in 11 D.  The Addison and the Krause.  They fight fine, although I'm still a bit baffled at the fit.  They are tight on the sides, but the combination of the supple leather used on those boots and the roomy nature of the toe box otherwise (plenty of height) make the narrow width at the widest part of my foot comfortable.  The heel and arch area are looser than I would like if anything..... but I lace them up tight and I'm fine.  They are comfortable, but not the best fitting boot in the world.

These, are tight at the widest part of my foot, but seem fine in the arch and heel area.  The length may be just a bit short, and the height of the toe box is lower than my other 1000 Mile boots.  I think that the stiff shell cordovan leather does not and will not stretch at the widest part of my foot like I need it too.  Maybe with thinner socks, it would be okay...... but these are boots and I want to wear thicker socks with them.

What a let down.  They are beautiful boots and you can't just exchange them for the next half size up since they don't make them anymore.

Ben
send them my way. ....I'll wear them. :)

JasonYeckel

Reaction score
Got a pair of these in size 11 D today. They seem a bit tight with my heavy boot socks on. Once again, I find myself buying a pair of boots off of the internet having done my research and being fairly sure of the size I would need, only to find that it is the wrong size. This happened to me with a pair of Alden Indy 405's in color 8. I wear a size 11 B/D in the Barrie Last PTB's so I buy a pair of size 11 B/D Trubalance Last Indy Boots.... and the Indy Boots are too small. Not by much, but too small for me to deal with. Afterward, I ended up thinking about how my Barrie Last PTB's in size 11 B/D are fairly snug with only a thinner dress sock.... and it's even got me wondering if should be wearing an 11.5 B/D in my Barrie Last shoes..... but anyway.

I have two pairs of Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots..... both in 11 D. The Addison and the Krause. They fight fine, although I'm still a bit baffled at the fit. They are tight on the sides, but the combination of the supple leather used on those boots and the roomy nature of the toe box otherwise (plenty of height) make the narrow width at the widest part of my foot comfortable. The heel and arch area are looser than I would like if anything..... but I lace them up tight and I'm fine. They are comfortable, but not the best fitting boot in the world.

These, are tight at the widest part of my foot, but seem fine in the arch and heel area. The length may be just a bit short, and the height of the toe box is lower than my other 1000 Mile boots. I think that the stiff shell cordovan leather does not and will not stretch at the widest part of my foot like I need it too. Maybe with thinner socks, it would be okay...... but these are boots and I want to wear thicker socks with them.

What a let down. They are beautiful boots and you can't just exchange them for the next half size up since they don't make them anymore.

Ben

I am having similar issues never came back on to comment the membrane does not stretch near as easily or as much as the skin sadly. I have put more and more wear in to them and they are starting to give way. The oddity of all this is i have 3 11D by wolverine and 3 different platforms the oxford toe cap is TTS, the allen edmond made ltd is in middle bit thin, the wolverine 1k the largest fun fun i know. I think the thicker sole on the ltd will take a while to widen a bit from the pressure as well.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear a size 11 B/D in the Barrie Last PTB's so I buy a pair of size 11 B/D Trubalance Last Indy Boots.... and the Indy Boots are too small. 

This is particularly odd because, in my experience, Trubalance last can accommodate a higher volume foot than Barrie.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What socks on the TruBalance? I'm a 9.5B/D in the Barrie with dress socks, and a 10B/D in the TruBalance with boot socks. That said, I'm a proponent of no such thing as too much toe room, focus on where the flex point in the boot/shoe is. And in my experience, the flex point of the TruBalance is in a position where you should buy it in 1/2 size larger than Barrie (i.e. how I sized it). However, people focus too much on the fact that the TruBalance is very generous in the toe box, and then size down, which is a mistake.

mistercitizen

Reaction score
What socks on the TruBalance? I'm a 9.5B/D in the Barrie with dress socks, and a 10B/D in the TruBalance with boot socks. That said, I'm a proponent of no such thing as too much toe room, focus on where the flex point in the boot/shoe is. And in my experience, the flex point of the TruBalance is in a position where you should buy it in 1/2 size larger than Barrie (i.e. how I sized it). However, people focus too much on the fact that the TruBalance is very generous in the toe box, and then size down, which is a mistake.

This is more or less my experience. I think I could easily go the same 11.5 B/D on both the Barrie Last and the Trubalance Last if I were typically wearing thicker socks with my Barrie Last shoes..... but since I typically wear thinner dress socks with my pair of Barrie Last shoes, I get away with a size 11 B/D. If I ever get another pair of Barrie Last shoes though, I will definitely try an 11.5 B/D to see how they fit..... because I suspect that I could go up a half size and still not be too big.

The thing I noticed about the Trubalance Last is that it curves a little sooner and more gradually at the little toe on the outside of your foot compared to the Barrie Last..... and so it was really just my little toe that was being crowded, and not the rest of my toes. I think that this can be very specific to the shape of one's foot, and therefore can vary quite widely from one person to the next.

Ben

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1
I dont understand why people say the trubalance has more room than the barrie.

@mistercitizen : I wear my barrie size in the Wolverine shell with mid-weight socks (was tight initially but nicely formed to my feet now), but go half a size up for the cxl 1k's (which I wear with thick socks in bad weather)

Also - it's hard to determine shoe sizes based on the barrie, because the barrie is a pretty forgiving last - many people get wrongly sized (usually 0.5 too big, having sized down from their sneaker size), and the last can still feel comfortable if one has an average to high instep. This is not to say that you sized wrongly, but that sizing advice for wolverines probably needs to be taken with a pinch of salt

Last edited:

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1
I dont understand why people say the trubalance has more room than the barrie.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did I say that the flex point of the TruBalance was 1/2 size different than the Barrie? I guess I did, but I don't think that's what I meant. I find that with boot socks, I wear both the TruBalance and Barrie in a 10D. I find the flex point is in the same place on both, but that the TruBalance has more toe room, which is preferable.

In other news, I won these on eBay today. 10D New In Box 721s, first quality? Yes please thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads