• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wish me luck.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as I care about clothes, what really matters to me: pictures (especially family pictures) are all categorized and copied onto digital format and stored in two separate locations, in a family members house on another continent, and a bank safety deposit box in another state. A bit much? Maybe, but I can always get new clothes; but how do I pass down pictures of generations past to future generations?
My family traces back 24 generations, and all the family documents are purportedly kept in the ancestral village.
santa monica?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I may ask, where do Floridians go during hurricane evacuations. Over here, you'll find the entire population of southern Louisiana moves to the central and northern parts of the state. My family always makes a trip to my grandparents' house when forces of nature zero in on us.

On a side note, I never really thought about the possibility of looters -- never heard of any cases either. Maybe I've been missing something?
There are hurricane shelters that are reinforced and can withstand category 4 hurricanes (and sometimes even category 5's). If not, normally a hurricane will hit along side a particular coast, the west coast in this case, thus many people evacuate to the east coast; and vice-versa when the tables are reversed.

Pardon the expression, but you have to be a ******* moron to go around looting during a category 3 hurricane. Material possessions are not worth more than life.

Jon.

rws

Reaction score
santa monica?
LOL. Â No, a small village in Guangdong province in China . . . .
And the records survived the Cultural Revolution? A Chinese friend of mine, now resident in a safer place (New York.), saw his mother forced publicly to burn the unique family record stretching back seven centuries (about 24 or 25 generations). Â He tells me that that was usual -- for the few families fortunate enough to have kept their records intact during the preceding two decades of Communist rule. By contrast, those of us of Western European origin have been blessed. Â Despite numerous wars and some natural disasters, a family record of a thousand years or more isn't terribly unusual.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the records survived the Cultural Revolution?

They were apparently intact in the 80's, so yes. The people of Guandong province are notorious (among other Chinese) for their street cunning, mercantile skill, and generally ability to weasel some benefic from an otherwise dire situation. Guess that was my people.

mistahlee

Reaction score
Thanks for the good wishes, gentlemen.  

The storm turned East and, thus, did not destroy my house.  However I cleverly fled the projected storm path to the actual one.  Ha ha ha.    

Anway, the thing that prompted my post was the decisive moment: What to take with limited space (aside from essentials)?  What really matters?  Sort of a summing up of one's material self.  

It turned out to be a few dozen books that never will see print again, cameras and a musical instrument. But the rest was watches, glasses, cufflinks, two pair of shoes (C&J not EG or Lobb), a Vuitton envelope, shoulder bag and travel blanket (like the one mentioned in Bernhardt Roetzel's book), a Brioni jacket and some custom garments.  I thought:  "Is this what matters to me?"  I guess it is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads