• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are tie blades triangular?

ZackP

Reaction score
I have been wondering this for awhile. Is there a specific reason why they are that shape? It DOES look good, but I assume it must be easiest to stitch that way.

Von Franz

Reaction score
I'd assume it has something to do, first of all, with the ability of the fabric to knot properly. The best knots, as I understand it, come from fabric that has been cut on the bias. This arrangement allows the tie to drape much better, lying straight instead of twisting around. It also makes for better structural integrity.

Since a tie is meant to form a clean vertical line down the center of the torso, it ought to appear balanced. Taking into account the way one would need to fold the fabric for a square end, the product would be bulky at the bottom and difficult to wear in a natural-looking way. The drape would be restricted, and one might surmise that the appearance would be unnecessarily pendulous.

Knit ties, on the other hand, are generally of a tubular or two-fold construction with no lining. The ends of knit ties are square because that's the easiest way to finish them, and they'd look just as odd with a pointed end as a woven tie would with a square one.

-Von Franz

Von Franz

Reaction score
Thank you.
Always glad to help out.

Any more knowledgable members may feel free to correct or elaborate as they see fit.

Last edited:

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dolce Punta makes a round bottom tie which they charge more for at cost.

My guess would be ease to make. Round is much more difficult than a triangular bottom. Much like making a pentagon bottom would be pretty difficult but I would love to see it.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
von franz makes a great point, but i would be interested to hear from sam (david) hober, and see what he has to say on the matter. zack, maybe send him a pm and ask him to post here if he has the time.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necktie
Also,
In the 1860's, the necktie we know today was born out of a need for simplified neckwear during the industrial revolution.
The four-in-hand knot became popular and the bowtie became accepted as a replacement for complicated cravats in formal settings.
During circa ~1880, preppies of Oxford University took the striped bands off their rowing hats and tied them around their necks.
This at least was the birth of the 'club tie' as these ties bore a club emblem.
In 1924, American tailor Jesse Langsdorf revolutionized tie construction by cutting the fabric on the bias and sewing it in 3 segments, creating better elasticity and a more appealing drape.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads