• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes the best sounding supercar?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m_wave
I'm not sure that a corvette really classes as a 'supercar' in my book.

I have to say the Aston Martin DBS does sound fantastic and much better than the new breed of Ferraris

What are your criteria for a supercar? Price, performance, prestige, or a combination of all 3?

The ZR1 is a 105 thousand dollar car that destroys any Lamborghini or Ferrari Production vehicle ever made-and just about every other supercar out there (with a few exceptions). C&D rated it a better performer than either of these two in any model year they have ever tested. In addition to this, it's very practical as a daily driver, which is not true of most supercars faster than it.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
What are your criteria for a supercar? Price, performance, prestige, or a combination of all 3?

The ZR1 is a 105 thousand dollar car that destroys any Lamborghini or Ferrari Production vehicle ever made-and just about every other supercar out there (with a few exceptions). C&D rated it a better performer than either of these two in any model year they have ever tested. In addition to this, it's very practical as a daily driver, which is not true of most supercars faster than it.

ZR1 is awesome. However, I almost don't consider ferrari (aside from enzo, f50, f40) or lambo (outside of reventon or lp-series perhaps) true crazy supercars any longer.

I am pretty sure zonda, ccx, veyron, gumpert are the true supercars now.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ferrari 355 and F50 are my favorite sounding cars. I love the high wail.

m_wave

Reaction score
My definition of supercar is something that is not only high performance, expensive, impractical but also has some x-factor which surpasses all other criteria. The type of car kids have on posters on their wall.

Lambo Countach being a fantastic example. I think largely the base model Ferraris are not supercars but F40, F50 certainly!

For this reason it's very difficult for this Corvette to be a supercar for me. It looks too similar to the base model regardless of performance. Perhaps I'm just being Euro centric.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m_wave
My definition of supercar is something that is not only high performance, expensive, impractical but also has some x-factor which surpasses all other criteria. The type of car kids have on posters on their wall.

Lambo Countach being a fantastic example. I think largely the base model Ferraris are not supercars but F40, F50 certainly!

For this reason it's very difficult for this Corvette to be a supercar for me. It looks too similar to the base model regardless of performance. Perhaps I'm just being Euro centric.

Makes sense to me, although if we're talking about which sounds the best I think it should be included.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Personally I've always been a fan of the Honda NSX's engine sound.

Here's the 2011 almost-in-production which sounds delicious:

Is Honda still going to make the new NSX? Last I heard, it was shelved.

Originally Posted by zjpj83
Ferrari 355 and F50 are my favorite sounding cars. I love the high wail.

The F50 sounds awesome. I'm not sure anything street-legal approaches that particular quality of sound as it was basically a detuned F1 engine.

I also like the Ferrari V8s, whose flat-plane crankshafts give it that wailing sound, and sound very different than the rumbly cross-plane V8s found in American muscle cars, the BMW M5, and most every other production V8.

--Andre

princemarko

Reaction score
Let me throw in a wrench:

Mercedes G55. That exhaust stops traffic, especially when you see what it comes out of.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just had the opportunity to see a ZR1 up close at the Houston Auto Show. Pictures do not do this car justice, it looks every bit worth 100K up close. I too have made reference to it looking like any other Vette, but in person, it's obvious this car is special. The Carbon Fiber roof, skirts and air dam, make this car really stand out. It's funny because I've always thought of the Z06 as aggressive, but sitting next to the ZR1, it came off as somewhat pedestrian and ordinary.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I just had the opportunity to see a ZR1 up close at the Houston Auto Show. Pictures do not do this car justice, it looks every bit worth 100K up close. I too have made reference to it looking like any other Vette, but in person, it's obvious this car is special. The Carbon Fiber roof, skirts and air dam, make this car really stand out. It's funny because I've always thought of the Z06 as aggressive, but sitting next to the ZR1, it came off as somewhat pedestrian and ordinary.

It's one of the few things GM does right. Although it will never carry as much wow factor as a true exotic, it's a great car with a classic history.

Reaction score
The ZR1 gets you 638hp for 106k, that's about 550k cheaper than a Zonda which gives you 602hp (2008 model).

But the Zonda looks better, sounds better, has a way better interior, is much more exclusive and goes round corners (a concept you Americans might not be familiar with
wink.gif
).

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ErnestWorthing
But the Zonda looks better, sounds better, has a way better interior, is much more exclusive and goes round corners (a concept you Americans might not be familiar with
wink.gif
).

I agree with the first part of your sentence. Read some of the road tests, it destroys most foreign exotics on the track as well as the 1/4.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ErnestWorthing
wink.gif
).

You haven't been in a C6 Corvette. Never mind the ZR1, the "lowly" Z06 rotates as nicely as any car I've been in.

Southern-Nupe, at a BMW club school at Laguna Seca last month, a pair of students brought their Z06 and ZR1 to the track, and I know what you mean when you say the ZR1 makes the Z06 look tame by comparison. The ZR1 looks amazing. I'd be worried about the front splitter and speed bumps though, and the tire replacement costs.

--Andre

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
You haven't been in a C6 Corvette. Never mind the ZR1, the "lowly" Z06 rotates as nicely as any car I've been in.

Southern-Nupe, at a BMW club school at Laguna Seca last month, a pair of students brought their Z06 and ZR1 to the track, and I know what you mean when you say the ZR1 makes the Z06 look tame by comparison. The ZR1 looks amazing. I'd be worried about the front splitter and speed bumps though, and the tire replacement costs.

--Andre

It's funny you mention destroying the front splitter, I immediately thought the same thing, especially with it being a fairly expensive piece of equipment.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was once passed on the Autobahn by a Ferrari F40 (the review was in R&T later). He was probably pushing 300 km/h and you could hear him coming a few clicks back. It was a high pitched banshee scream that had a beautiful Doppler effect as he whooshed by. I caught it on video too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads