• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Knows Ferragamo Shoes?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked these up on ebay & wanted to know if anyone could tell me something about them, other than the obvious, of course.

The sole says Salvatore Ferragamo Firenze & has some sort of insignia.

Thanks!

06-07-07_2323.jpg

06-07-07_2318.jpg

06-07-07_2317.jpg

06-07-07_2316.jpg

06-07-07_2315.jpg

06-07-07_2314.jpg

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are surely not corrected grain, as they have all the properties of good calf leather.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are mainline SF shoes (foil stamped logo in the insole). Below Tramezza quality but much better than the crappy Studio line. Leather quality seems quite variable in this line. Some uppers are nice others not. Not welted contruction. Some have partially channeled soles. These appear to be fully channeled though. Retail is ~$400. Overall they are perfectly acceptable imo but you wouldn't want to go lower in quality.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
These are mainline SF shoes (foil stamped logo in the insole). Below Tramezza quality but much better than the crappy Studio line. Leather quality seems quite variable in this line. Some uppers are nice others not. Not welted contruction. Some have partially channeled soles. These appear to be fully channeled though. Retail is ~$400. Overall they are perfectly acceptable imo but you wouldn't want to go lower in quality.

Some say old Tramezza. Can you date these?

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found them to be quality shoes--well constructed with nice leathers in attractive styles. Their are light weight with thin soles and are generally unsuitable to heavy duty wearing. Many forum members find them to be the quintessential Italian "glue job shoes."

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Some say old Tramezza. Can you date these?

Not Tramezza. It's a pretty standard style, could've been made any time in the last decade at least, and probably longer.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are from the Classic Ferragamo line when they really sold alot of shoes....this group started in the late 80's and went all the way thru the 90's.

Straight Blake construction and, don't kill the messenger, but are corrected grain. But not the cg that so many here find objectionable....there have been many great shoes in cg calf. Frankly, whenever you detail a shoe with a lacquer finish (like this line) it does not make sense to use a vegetable re-tanned calf. #1 it won't hold the finish, and #2 it's a waste of money....with no durability advantage. J&M used to use Polished Cobbler that was also very good cg calf. Streaked alittle, but was still nice, IMO. More people complained about the channel edge peeling back on these than ever complained about the finish....I really can't remember it ever being an issue. Wait a minute, actually I remember a guy buying a pair of the slip-on version of this shoe...never had invested that much in a shoe before (was $325 then....the Aristocraft line of J&M was at $275 as a comparison), first time out kicked a curb killing the toe (with this finish if you scuff it thru, you can't cover it up) and wanted to return them. Don't remember what we did for him, but this line always had alot of loyalty from the customers.

They are not anywhere near Tremezza quality though....I still think the Tremezza line is one of the best values in the marketplace....great shoes. I don't even think Lobb can touch Tremezza quality....actually, I know a little about shoes, and I KNOW Lobb is not as well made as Tremezza's.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow Ron, thanks. I paid around $30 for them & to me they are definitely worth it. I'm confused about the corrected grain thing, because they take polish like good calf. I mean, they get darker, have developed a antiqued look, etc. etc.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RIDER
Those are from the Classic Ferragamo line when they really sold alot of shoes....this group started in the late 80's and went all the way thru the 90's.

Straight Blake construction and, don't kill the messenger, but are corrected grain. But not the cg that so many here find objectionable....there have been many great shoes in cg calf. Frankly, whenever you detail a shoe with a lacquer finish (like this line) it does not make sense to use a vegetable re-tanned calf. #1 it won't hold the finish, and #2 it's a waste of money....with no durability advantage. J&M used to use Polished Cobbler that was also very good cg calf. Streaked alittle, but was still nice, IMO. More people complained about the channel edge peeling back on these than ever complained about the finish....I really can't remember it ever being an issue. Wait a minute, actually I remember a guy buying a pair of the slip-on version of this shoe...never had invested that much in a shoe before (was $325 then....the Aristocraft line of J&M was at $275 as a comparison), first time out kicked a curb killing the toe (with this finish if you scuff it thru, you can't cover it up) and wanted to return them. Don't remember what we did for him, but this line always had alot of loyalty from the customers.

They are not anywhere near Tremezza quality though....I still think the Tremezza line is one of the best values in the marketplace....great shoes. I don't even think Lobb can touch Tremezza quality....actually, I know a little about shoes, and I KNOW Lobb is not as well made as Tremezza's.

This is what you call good information. +1

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RIDER
I don't even think Lobb can touch Tremezza quality....actually, I know a little about shoes, and I KNOW Lobb is not as well made as Tremezza's.

I love Tramezzas and agree they are a great value but that's a pretty strong statement. Would you care to elaborate on it Ron?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i brought this back up from the dead to hear ron's response to tremezza vs. lobb (or anyone else who has an opinion on that matter!)

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not Ron, but as he has pointed out before, the Tramezza shoes are hand welted which puts them in a different, higher category than Lobb in terms of construction quality. And at about half the price, that makes them quite a deal.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are better in terms of construction quality but what about leather quality?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads