• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

well done. is the overcheck a light blue?

Yup, a dark brown and camel POW w/ a light blue windowpane with Scafora bespoke suede wholecuts on the bottom...

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that sounds wonderful. added to wish list.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The accessorizing is not to my taste, unless the coloring in the photo is off again. Is that a satin silk tie?

No way. It's an Atkinson's Irish poplin from Hober that is 50% silk/ 50% wool. It has much texture and is an excellent complement to the flannel.

Last edited:

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yea I figured it had to be just the picture playing tricks on me. Sounds lovely.

Thanks! I have much work on perfecting the photography! The color of the tie is mid-slate blue and the shirt is a greyish taupe hairline stripe.

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score
Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's actually a great tie. But it's a level 9 on the difficulty scale, so it takes some finesse to get it right. I fancy it would look smashing with something like a brown corduroy coat (and a cool haircut).

Why I am dragged in here?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The blue gray is the only one of these I like, to be honest. I think the grays and browns here are too dark. A regular gray, rather than a charcoal, would work better underneath, and a brown in the same shade would look more balanced.

I still think you'd run in to two issues: the jacket has nothing other than the cloth to distinguish it from a suit jacket (and even then, this cloth doesn't do a whole lot on that front), and the trousers are too refined and slick. Are they worsted or gabardine? I don't love gab with tweed, though it's nice with tweed-patterned worsteds. I don't like plain worsted trousers much anyway (though summer demands them).

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The jacket is cotton and the pants fresco. Regardless, it was my best attempt at using true navy as odd trou; too advanced for me and/or my wardrobe.

(note: I was never suggesting it was in good taste; this thread just seems to be the best place to actually have somewhat productive discussions about such things. )

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This might just be me, but I think linen looks odd when paired with worsted jackets. That might be one reason someone would choose worsted trousers in summer.

Why would you have worsted odd jackets? linen, linen/silk/wool or linen/cotton blends, mohair, cotton, fresco...plenty of non-worsted odd jackets.

FW odd trousers are gray, but SS odd trousers are something between cream and tan. Worsted does not look good in those colors IMHO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads