• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But u have to be secure in your masculinity.
That, or gay.
satisfied.gif

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I realize that it's the modern connotations that matter for most of today, but since we discuss history of clothing often here, know that the association of pink with baby girls is very modern. At least up until the interwar period, pink was more associated with baby boys than baby girls.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I asked this in the coherent combinations thread, but no replies, so I'll ask here. Seems to be were most of the intelligent clothing discussion is going on.

Why do graph checks (or at least my graph checks) look odd with non-worsted wool jackets? Is it just a mismatch in formality (and if so, why are graph checks on the more formal end of the spectrum)? I just know that I have a really hard time getting my graph checks to look good with non-worsted coats and am trying to figure out why.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked this in the coherent combinations thread, but no replies, so I'll ask here. Seems to be were most of the intelligent clothing discussion is going on.

Why do graph checks (or at least my graph checks) look odd with non-worsted wool jackets? Is it just a mismatch in formality (and if so, why are graph checks on the more formal end of the spectrum)? I just know that I have a really hard time getting my graph checks to look good with non-worsted coats and am trying to figure out why.

No great pretension to expertise here Claghorn but my guess is that it has something to do with the thickness of the line in the check and the color combo. The thinner the lines and fewer the colors the more formal the shirt. The classic rustic line check (as opposed to ginghams or micro or pin solid checks) is the tattersall. All kinds of fancy checkerboards, madras, plaids and houndstooths sit in between, depending on line thickness and color combos, and the fine single-color graph check sits at the formal end of the check spectrum.
teacha.gif

Last edited:

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But u have to be secure in your masculinity.  
That, or gay. :satisfied:

I've heard this many times before but I don't get how one can feel insecure in one's masculinity simply by wearing a certain color.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO it has to be the right pink. Very pale and not very saturated. And for ties, better if it's dark and matte...

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMHO it has to be the right pink. Very pale and not very saturated. And for ties, better if it's dark and matte...

+1. Light pink for shirts. Come to think of it I will wear one of my 5 pink shirts today :=)

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard this many times before but I don't get how one can feel insecure in one's masculinity simply by wearing a certain color.

... my comment was tongue in cheek
smile.gif
and more a reference to the same point unbel made- that pink isn't a masculine color. A guy who's sensitive to other people's perceptions and insecure in their masculinity isn't likely to wear it. Or maybe they just don't like it cos it doesn't suit their skin tone, or it's hard to mix n match. From a quick image search of WAYWRN pink shirts appear rarely- bout 1 in every 200 fits - but stand out in a good way IMO when they do.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads