• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White tie, without the formality

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Top picture looks awful. It definitely appears to be a light grey shirt which ruins the look. Tough to tell what color the tie is but it would probably be okay with a white shirt. Bottom picture appears to be a blue tie with a subtle pattern. Not exactly objectionable but not as good as a wedding tie or solid navy or silver. Black ties are great but I do not love them at weddings.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that's your only suit, then wear it. White shirt, dark tie, and you're done. Looking nice is incredibly easy for guys.

Now, show us a picture of you in your suit so we can judge the fit! :D

Last edited:

wannabestyled

Reaction score
Not according to the guys on this site. You evidently need a doctorate to pick a tie around here. A picture of me to judge the fit? I need a tie not a therapist. Ill find a dark navy
to wear or wear this silver one...again.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Nobody is saying you need a doctorate to pick a tie. It's actually incredibly simple. What can be easier than solid traditional colors like grey / silver, navy, light blue or perhaps a wedding tie of some sort and pairing said tie with a white shirt? Things like teal and white ties on the other hand look awful. Once you have a few basic principles, picking a tie is very easy. The problem is that there are a lot of absolutely hideous ties out there.

wannabestyled

Reaction score
The problem is nobody agrees on what is hideous and what is not which makes a newbie like me incredibly confused. As I said...I'll pick a solid navy or wear the one I have. Thanks for everyones input...it may not seem like it but I do appreciate those that try to help.

Ivar

Reaction score

The problem is nobody agrees on what is hideous and what is not which makes a newbie like me incredibly confused.

Most discussions on here -- however contentious they may seem -- are about telling the good from the merely serviceable. There is actually a fairly broad consensus over what's irredeemably ugly, and I would hazard that this tie falls in that camp:

Just stick to matte solids and you're relatively safe.

Last edited:

wannabestyled

Reaction score
I've never had anything but good compliments on that tie. Especially by women...so you can see why I'm confused. Nevertheless, thanks for the advice.

wannabestyled

Reaction score
I like the glen plaid shown and ordered one.

After reviewing many "wedding tie" posts. I have obviously seen the glen plaid mentioned as a wedding tie, but read one that said it most certainly is not a wedding tie. ??? Hhhh...I don't get it.

I'll post a pic when I get it all together, then you guys can have some real fun.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ The above glen plaid looks lovely and will work very well with a navy suit and white shirt. I don't think "wedding tie" the second I see a glen plaid tie but I think it works well enough for the purpose. Also note that wedding ties can be worn at more events than just weddings; anything formal and festive will do.

When you come to a place like SF, you're going to get a lot of expertise. There are going to be debates on what is technically a proper wedding tie and the like. You'll do well to decide for yourself how much you want to care about or delve into these things. For many of us dressing in classic menswear is a way of life if we must do so for work or at the very least a hobby and something we're passionate about. Your confusion is understandable. It's part of the reason myself and others try to steer newcomers to can't miss basics before getting into more advanced topics. A classic navy or grey suit, white shirt and tie in some sort of silver / grey solid or plaid (for navy suits), navy (for grey suits), light blue (either navy or grey) or black (either navy or grey) will pretty much almost always work and that's why you see things like this being recommended.

Try to look at the more basic things being recommended before getting into the more advanced or esoteric. If you learn basic principles, you're going to look better than 90% of your competition. Once you're there, you can always learn more, whether by reading up on things here, trial and error, or both.

wannabestyled

Reaction score
Thank you for the excellent explanation. This has truly opened my eyes to a new world.

However I still may have a problem in that I will be wearing an almost black pinstripe as noted in the beginning and pictures not navy. I have a heather grey suit but the wedding party will be in grey so I thought I shouldn't wear that. I'm not crazy about the fit either.

I guess my question is will the glen plaid work with the pinstripe?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not worry about wearing a grey suit to a wedding; it's a common enough color that one would expect many guests to be so attired. Same with a basic navy suit. I think the glen plaid should still be fine either way. If you do wear a grey suit, however, I'd consider a blue tie if you have one as it may be better.

wannabestyled

Reaction score
If it will work I'll stick with the pinstripe for now. I don't care for the tailoring, or lack thereof on the grey suit. I got it for the last wedding we went to and was not happy with the fit after it was altered.

Thanks again for your help.

Taylorstav

Reaction score
Once you get a sense of what's right/wrong sartorially, you'll end up wanting to replace everything you own.

Charcoal pinstripes are not ideal, pinstripes have a real business connotation. They're not really suitable for a celebration. But that's getting really picky. Stick with your charcoal pinstripes. I think we've steered you away from the most offensive options.

Troll around here and you'll pick up some rules.

No black suits unless it's a tuxedo.
No square toed shoes

You can really drive yourself nuts with all the rules, but they're important to know. Only when you master the basics and know the rules can you proceed to break them. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads