• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Summer Suit

FVogt

Reaction score
Dear Community

I have found these three summer suits, which one would you choose? I usually wear the trousers in a 34uk (needs to be made a few cm tighter) and the jacket in a 34/36uk (the Anton Meyer has the trousers available). Furthermore, I'm also sending a picture of an Anton Meyer suit I own to compare (it's a bit short, at least from my point of view, what do you think?).

The summer suits

The Example
1718469472080-png.102096

1718469625585-png.102100

KOz

Reaction score
The trousers seem a bit slim in relation to the jacket. I recommend taking pictures with the jacket buttoned.

FVogt

Reaction score
The trousers seem a bit slim in relation to the jacket. I recommend taking pictures with the jacket buttoned.
Yes, here the picture, what do you think regarding the summer suit?
1720107957753.png

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
I really like the 2nd suit option. The "solid tropical summer suit".

I always preferred beige suits to be very light beige - almost off white - I always find that looks better, darker beige suits just can look off to me.

So that suit would be perfect in my book.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Dear Community

I have found these three summer suits, which one would you choose? I usually wear the trousers in a 34uk (needs to be made a few cm tighter) and the jacket in a 34/36uk (the Anton Meyer has the trousers available). Furthermore, I'm also sending a picture of an Anton Meyer suit I own to compare (it's a bit short, at least from my point of view, what do you think?).

The summer suits

The Example
1718469472080-png.102096

1718469625585-png.102100
My apologies, but your suit jackets seem kind of long for your height, and they don't seem to be well-tailored. Even your shirt-sleeves seem a little long. Is there another option?

It takes guts to post your picture on this forum, and I am unlikely to do so. So while I applaud your courage, I don't think I like the 3-piece either. It seems kind of bulky on your thin frame. Can't you find a nice linen-cotton-wool suit? Perhaps in a lighter color and trimmer in terms of its silhouette.

FVogt

Reaction score
My apologies, but your suit jackets seem kind of long for your height, and they don't seem to be well-tailored. Even your shirt-sleeves seem a little long. Is there another option?

It takes guts to post your picture on this forum, and I am unlikely to do so. So while I applaud your courage, I don't think I like the 3-piece either. It seems kind of bulky on your thin frame. Can't you find a nice linen-cotton-wool suit? Perhaps in a lighter color and trimmer in terms of its silhouette.
Thank you for your honest opinion. It's interesting that you say the jacket is too long, I always find it too short. Would you say the suit can be altered and if so what parts would you alter? And if not, do you know a place (rtw or vtg) where I can find a classic three piece suit with pleated trousers?

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Thank you for your honest opinion. It's interesting that you say the jacket is too long, I always find it too short. Would you say the suit can be altered and if so what parts would you alter? And if not, do you know a place (rtw or vtg) where I can find a classic three piece suit with pleated trousers?
It's hard to tell from the pictures. Appropriate length and silhouette depend largely upon your height and frame. You look relatively tall and thin. How tall are you if you don't mind the question? What is your approximate weight? How long is your suit jacket, measured from the base of the collar to the bottom of the hem?

I have a few longer cut Attolini suits, and two similarly cut Zegna Milanos and an Isaia that is also classically cut. The Attolonis actually look great once I put on a proper shirt and look in the mirror.

From the photos, your jacket looks too long for your height and frame, and its kind of baggy, around the shoulders especially. 3-piece suits usually look good on taller, thinner men, because they add some volume to your stance, but in your case, the 3-piece gives you too much volume. You state this is a summer suit, but neither suit seems light weight...are they 100% wool, or a wool-linen or wool-cotton mix?

Summer suits should be light and breezy, unless you live in the extreme North.

You can find wool-linen-cotton mix suits on ebay or therealreal or grailed or other discount websites. But perhaps if you can give me an idea about your height, weight, and suit jacket measurements, I can be of more help.

Best Regards,

FVogt

Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the pictures. Appropriate length and silhouette depend largely upon your height and frame. You look relatively tall and thin. How tall are you if you don't mind the question? What is your approximate weight? How long is your suit jacket, measured from the base of the collar to the bottom of the hem?

I have a few longer cut Attolini suits, and two similarly cut Zegna Milanos and an Isaia that is also classically cut. The Attolonis actually look great once I put on a proper shirt and look in the mirror.

From the photos, your jacket looks too long for your height and frame, and its kind of baggy, around the shoulders especially. 3-piece suits usually look good on taller, thinner men, because they add some volume to your stance, but in your case, the 3-piece gives you too much volume. You state this is a summer suit, but neither suit seems light weight...are they 100% wool, or a wool-linen or wool-cotton mix?

Summer suits should be light and breezy, unless you live in the extreme North.

You can find wool-linen-cotton mix suits on ebay or therealreal or grailed or other discount websites. But perhaps if you can give me an idea about your height, weight, and suit jacket measurements, I can be of more help.

Best Regards,
Firstly, thank you for your reply. The grey suit is not a summer suit, and I'm sorry if I gave the impression that it is. I only posted it to show how a suit from Anton Meyer fits me, as one of the three summer suits I mentioned above is from that brand, but I have ordered the linen suit from Cavour and hope it will fit me well. But I'm having trouble with the grey three-piece suit because I love three-piece suits, but this one has fit issues. The jacket should be 28.74cm or 73cm long. I am about 18 years old and have a height of about 68,1102 inches (173cm).
Thank you also for the offer to help me, I managed the summer suit, but I have problems with the grey three-piece suit, as I said, would you know where I could find a classic one? Preferably with high trousers and pleats.

Professor Χάος

Reaction score
Firstly, thank you for your reply. The grey suit is not a summer suit, and I'm sorry if I gave the impression that it is. I only posted it to show how a suit from Anton Meyer fits me, as one of the three summer suits I mentioned above is from that brand, but I have ordered the linen suit from Cavour and hope it will fit me well. But I'm having trouble with the grey three-piece suit because I love three-piece suits, but this one has fit issues. The jacket should be 28.74cm or 73cm long. I am about 18 years old and have a height of about 68,1102 inches (173cm).
Thank you also for the offer to help me, I managed the summer suit, but I have problems with the grey three-piece suit, as I said, would you know where I could find a classic one? Preferably with high trousers and pleats.
I see. You look taller in the picture, probably because of your thin frame and perhaps because of the length of the suit. What is the listed size of the suit in the picture? Whatever it is, it looks to big for you. Perhaps you should consider going a size down. I'm guessing your true size is 38R/48R based on your height and weight. Is that correct? You should be able to find a wide range of vintage suits with double pleated pants in that size on ebay.

You should also beware: while the listed size is generally a good indication of how the suit will fit, and most sellers post measurements, you should become familiar with your actual shoulder, chest and jacket waist measurements, and which length range looks best on you. Listed size is insufficient in terms of information, and you should avoid buying a suit whose shoulders or length are too small for you, because they can be difficult to adjust.

In terms of brand, try Isaia, Canali, Zegna or Boglioli make nice suits and given your preference for double pleated pants, you could even find a Kiton or Attolini that is reasonably priced, given that suits with double pleated pants tend to be out of fashion at the moment and thus available at a steep discount, although I imagine they will eventually make a comeback.

No matter how great the suit, in terms of material and construction, fit is paramount. I'm constantly taking my suits to the tailor for adjustment. For instance, I'm guessing your shoulders are approximately 42-43cm in width. You need a suit that is properly adjusted at the shoulders, chest, waist and in terms of length.

I am not a proponent of ultra-slim fit or ultra-short suits. Europeans tend to prefer their suits slimmer and shorter than Americans. I prefer somewhere in between contemporary fits and classic cuts, although contemporary Isaia, Zegnas, Kitons or Attolinis fit me fine at 42R. I have a closet full of suits that range from more contemporary fitting (I suppose they are trim if not slim), to suits with more classical dimensions.

Furthermore, its essential that you find the right tailor. Most tailors won't touch a suit's shoulders, for instance. When I move to a new city or country, I search until I find a talented tailor who can expand or contract the shoulders as needed. Length can also be tricky. It's possible to shorten a suit, but again, the tailor has to be sufficiently experienced to follow the contour of the original cut, because once shorted, the suit cannot be un-shortened. Finding and paying for the right tailor is essential for any gentlemen, because the right tailor can make you one of the best dressed men in your cohort.

I hope my comments are helpful.

Last edited:

FVogt

Reaction score
I see. You look taller in the picture, probably because of your thin frame and perhaps because of the length of the suit. What is the listed size of the suit in the picture? Whatever it is, it looks to big for you. Perhaps you should consider going a size down. I'm guessing your true size is 38R/48R based on your height and weight. Is that correct? You should be able to find a wide range of vintage suits with double pleated pants in that size on ebay.

You should also beware: while the listed size is generally a good indication of how the suit will fit, and most sellers post measurements, you should become familiar with your actual shoulder, chest and jacket waist measurements, and which length range looks best on you. Listed size is insufficient in terms of information, and you should avoid buying a suit whose shoulders or length are too small for you, because they can be difficult to adjust.

In terms of brand, try Isaia, Canali, Zegna or Boglioli make nice suits and given your preference for double pleated pants, you could even find a Kiton or Attolini that is reasonably priced, given that suits with double pleated pants tend to be out of fashion at the moment and thus available at a steep discount, although I imagine they will eventually make a comeback.

No matter how great the suit, in terms of material and construction, fit is paramount. I'm constantly taking my suits to the tailor for adjustment. For instance, I'm guessing your shoulders are approximately 42-43cm in width. You need a suit that is properly adjusted at the shoulders, chest, waist and in terms of length.

I am not a proponent of ultra-slim fit or ultra-short suits. Europeans tend to prefer their suits slimmer and shorter than Americans. I prefer somewhere in between contemporary fits and classic cuts, although contemporary Isaia, Zegnas, Kitons or Attolinis fit me fine at 42R. I have a closet full of suits that range from more contemporary fitting (I suppose they are trim if not slim), to suits with more classical dimensions.

Furthermore, its essential that you find the right tailor. Most tailors won't touch a suit's shoulders, for instance. When I move to a new city or country, I search until I find a talented tailor who can expand or contract the shoulders as needed. Length can also be tricky. It's possible to shorten a suit, but again, the tailor has to be sufficiently experienced to follow the contour of the original cut, because once shorted, the suit cannot be un-shortened. Finding and paying for the right tailor is essential for any gentlemen, because the right tailor can make you one of the best dressed men in your cohort.

I hope my comments are helpful.
Thank you very much, your comments are very helpful. The jacket in the picture is a size 36r (maybe I measured my height wrong) unfortunately it is hard to find good vtg suits in this size. I chose the suit too big so that I could wear it for a long time, but I realised that the shoulders are much too wide and that this is the main problem, at least I think so. I also prefer the classic, longer cut.
Thank you so much for your help

Featured Sponsor

"Movie Stills" Challenge: VOTE

• PSB

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Clouseau

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Kaplan

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Calypso

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Lupin 3