• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Studs & Cuff Links

Reaction score
I am getting married in July. Below are the DJ and pants I am wearing. I will be wearing the typical spread collar with pleated bib shirt, satin/silk bow tie and cummerbund. I bought my groomsmen the same Ivory DJ from Dobell but I am letting them wear their own tux plants. My fiance is angry but I am also allowing them to wear their own shirt (hopefully they will chose spread and not wing) and studs/cuff links. It is funny how women will make a big fuss over our collars and some small pieces of metal on your shirt not matching. With that being said, should I wear onyx studs/CL or mother of pearl? I know they have the reversible ones but often times the studs are the only part that are reversible. I have seen the onyx most often with this Ivory DJ but I did not know whether mother of pearl was still acceptable.

Reaction score
Also I am avoiding doing any real matching with the brides maids, etc. However our floral colors are lavender, cream/ivory. Is it ok to do a lavender rose as the boutonniere? Would it be too much to have the pocket square also lavender? Or should I go black, white or Ivory on the pocket square?

powerkicker

Reaction score
I'd go with gold. But of those you mentioned, I'd go with mop. Onyx is probably not wrong, it is just too much contrast for my liking.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agreed. If it was a black dinner jacket, I'd say onyx, but since it's a white jacket, then white MOP would be better.

Only wear a boutonniere if the jacket has a boutonniere hole. Don't pin on a flower; that's ugly.

seejulius

Reaction score
congrats on the wedding sir.

they are many angles to this it all depends what the jacket looks like and how you are accessorizing.

1.) Ivory Jacket (With No Satin) x Mother Of Pearl Studs x Light Lavender Satin Bowtie x Matching Pocket Square. (this would be very light contrast)

2.) Ivory Jacket (With No Satin) x Onyx Studs x Black Satin Bowtie x Black Pocket Square

3.) Ivory Jacket (With No Satin) x Onyx Studs x Black Satin Bowtie x White Pocket Sqaure

4.) Ivory Jacket (With Satin) x Onyx Studs x Black Satin Bowtie x White Pocket Sqaure

5.) Ivory Jacket (With Satin) x Onyx Studs x Black Satin Bowtie x Black Pocket Sqaure

I would personally go wth 2, it would be cleanest look out the bunch. My advice do not let her influence so much on what you are wearing, us men do not have say in their wedding dress (that's how I look at it.)

Reaction score
Thanks for the pointers. As far as her influencing what I wear she has been pretty fair. Instead of risking my Groomsmen renting sub par tuxedos with an Ivory DJ I instead purchased them all the Dobell Ivory DJ I posted above. I am letting them wear their own Tux pants, own style of shirt, and their own studs and cuff links. That way there is some uniformity for pictures but we will still have some variation between us. It was also a bonus knowing that all of us will have proper DJs without vents, jetted pockets, shawl collar, etc. Everyone will also be able to tailor their DJ so it fits properly.

I just got my tux back from the tailor this weekend so I tried the ensemble on. The only think I was iffy on was my tux shirt. I bought a slim fit, spread collar with pleated bib from Jos A Bank. The shirt just did not quite wow me as the pleats obviously need to be steamed/ironed. I was considering purchasing a spread collar with stiff Marcella/Pique bib from Brooks Brothers. Would it be improper to wear the BB turn down spread collar with Marcella bib?

Also for my Black Shawl lapel tux would it be improper to purchase the BB Golden Fleece detachable wing collar with Pique bib.
Both BB shirts I am describing are below.

To wear with Ivory DJ instead of pleated bib:
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Regen...dwvar_375Q_Color=WHIT&contentpos=41&cgid=0235

To wear with my black tux with Shawl lapel:
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Golde...dwvar_498E_Color=WHIT&contentpos=14&cgid=0235

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first shirt is perfect. As for the second, I don't like wing collars with black tie at all, not one bit. I think the band of of a black bow tie being visible all the way around the collar of a white, wing collar shirt looks ridiculous. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

henubem

Reaction score
Onyx is probably not wrong, it is just too much contrast for my liking.
68.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads