• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which "Casual Shoes" to wear with Jeans?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Speedcats are awful for driving in, and I wear a size 11 in them. I can't imagine trying to heel/toe in a smaller size. The sole is so narrow. Also, anything but slim jeans pretty much dwarf them.

Aureus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Unfortunately, Speedcats are awful for driving in, and I wear a size 11 in them. I can't imagine trying to heel/toe in a smaller size. The sole is so narrow. Also, anything but slim jeans pretty much dwarf them.

Try rotating your foot a bit so that you're not just using the width of the sole. The issue for you can be the spacing of the pedals or the width of your shoe. Its called heel-toe because you could actually end up having your toe on the break and your heel on the throttle. While such a situation requires some extreme pedal placement it is the theory.

Most full on racing shoes aren't really that much wider, if at all, than speedcats.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I know, but in most shoes I can use the edges of my foot for a much less awkward position and better control, and AFAIK most race drivers do the same. I "heel-toe" every downshift by habit now, no matter what I'm wearing, and Speedcats are the hardest of all.

The soles of Adidas Sambas or a similar soccer shoe are a much better shape IMO for driving in.

Aureus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I know, but in most shoes I can use the edges of my foot for a much less awkward position and better control, and AFAIK most race drivers do the same. I "heel-toe" every downshift by habit now, no matter what I'm wearing, and Speedcats are the hardest of all.

Race cars also have next to no space between the pedals. It is likely the spacing of your pedals, not the shoes, that is giving you the trouble. The amount of control you get is down to personal preference and your experience. And like I said, you'll find no real difference between sole width between speedcats and many professional racing shoes (I don't use speedcats as my racing shoes). And you won't find any sort of special width that is preferred for racing shoes.

The soles of Adidas Sambas or a similar soccer shoe are a much better shape IMO for driving in.
There is more to a driving shoe than the width of sole (in fact I find that issue to be kind of trivial really). Sensitivity to the pedal (thickness), weight, support in the heel while resting it etc... are all far more important.

Its down to personal preference and what you're familiar with in this case.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not taking about real racing, and I've never worn real racing shoes. I'm just saying for driving a normal car, whose pedals most people will not adjust, the Pumas don't work as well as a lot of shoes (for me).

Anyway, maybe they rule, and I just don't know how to drive. I have them, I wear them, but I'd rather drive in something else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads