• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where would I get good denim MEANT FOR THE JAPANESE MARKET?

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
I'm familiar with the Japanese companies like the Flat Head, Iron Heart, Sugar Cane, etc. What I'm wondering is I can find a retailer that sells their Japanese stock as I am similar in proportion to your average Japanese man, being 5'6".

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, Japan, for starters. But also Self Edge, Blue in Green, and others.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

Well, Japan, for starters. But also Self Edge, Blue in Green, and others.

When I look at their sizing I can't help but think those clothes are being made for us westerners. Are you sure the brands Self Edge carries have the same sizing for the markets where they are manufactured? If so, I don't understand the inseam length or waist sizes, even considering that it's expected to have the jeans hemmed. The majority of the brands they carry have a 33" inseam if I'm remembering correctly.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A hem, a hem, my kingdom for a hem.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5'6 is short, but still not a midget. There are plenty of choices, you're just playing the hard game

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many of the Japanese brands took their fit from vintage American brands and models. Of course some also offer more fashion forward fits. Why don't you call Selfedge and talk to them about fit and sizes for your height. I'm sure they can off you some good suggestions.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

Many of the Japanese brands took their fit from vintage American brands and models. Of course some also offer more fashion forward fits. Why don't you call Selfedge and talk to them about fit and sizes for your height. I'm sure they can off you some good suggestions.

This seems like good advice. I suppose I'm just cynical and don't expect their suggestions to go past their inventory.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

5'6 is short, but still not a midget. There are plenty of choices, you're just playing the hard game

Any suggestions as to those choices? I'm already aware of low rise jeans and hemming.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you also understand EVERY major denim store hems their own jeans in japan right? you buy it and wait 15 minutes for a hem.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

you also understand EVERY major denim store hems their own jeans in japan right? you buy it and wait 15 minutes for a hem.

It's news to me as I'm not from, nor have I been to, Japan.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abir