• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to move in the UK?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brighton and Oxford are brilliant town to live in ..
I don't know enough about his particular line of work to advise him...
Salisbury and Bath are beautiful too..
Manchesterseems a good compromise.

Yeh.. those are good places. I do like Bath especially.

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bath is a beautiful city but there's not really a whole lot to do there. Unless it's changed considerably since I lived there in 2004.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never really liked brighton. Kind of bias because I live here, but I think Cambridge is really nice. My student accommodation in London is gonna be nearly 800 a month for an absolutely tiny room, London is ridiculously expensive.

In halls? They usually cost double what you can pay elsewhere.

FondDeJante

Reaction score
Speaking as someone who lives in east London, and has lived in some other UK cities (Leeds, Birmingham) and visited many more, I'd say London is always going to be the best place to live as there's so much going on here. That's not to say that other UK cities don't have their own attractions: I particularly loved Leeds, as on the whole people are friendlier, it's on a smaller scale than London (this can be good and bad) and the Yorkshire Dales are nearby which was handy for cycling.

Anyway, London is not THAT much more expensive, but you do have to pick your area (in my part of London, I'd recommend Walthamstow) and - unless you get lucky - do a lot of searching to find somewhere nice to live that is reasonably priced.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? My sister is sharing a flat with 3 people and she's paying 180 a week. They're pretty central halls though, I think it's gonna be in holborn.

In Sheffield I paid £105 in halls, £65 in a house. The new halls were £140.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? My sister is sharing a flat with 3 people and she's paying 180 a week. They're pretty central halls though, I think it's gonna be in holborn.

In Sheffield I paid £105 in halls, £65 in a house. The new halls were £140.

I don't know the average pricing of student accomodation in london, but I do know a bunch of people who were able to afford to live in the middle of London when they were living in halls, but then had to move out in the middle of no-where to be able to afford london when they were not in halls, so I don't think halls of residence are generally a bad deal in London. With that said £800 a month is a lot, you can definitely live somewhere reasonable for less, although not in Holborn and it would mean living in a shared flat, or going a bit of a way out if you wanted a place to yourself. It is probably worth living in halls for your first year of Uni because of the social side of it, you can move somewhere cheaper in your second year.

Going to second brighton as being a great place to live. I live in london, and like it a lot, but there is no denying it is expensive. Even friends from NY complain about the cost of living in london.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need to go to Scotland.....
I have visited Edinburgh and I need to go to the Highlands and the Shetlands..

Scotland is beautiful, the landscapes are like nothing in England, the weather is really terribly outside of the summer though, and the food in a lot of places is pretty bad (and I say that as someone who quite enjoys heavy british cooking and the occasional bit of haggis).

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know the average pricing of student accomodation in london, but I do know a bunch of people who were able to afford to live in the middle of London when they were living in halls, but then had to move out in the middle of no-where to be able to afford london when they were not in halls, so I don't think halls of residence are generally a bad deal in London. With that said £800 a month is a lot, you can definitely live somewhere reasonable for less, although not in Holborn and it would mean living in a shared flat, or going a bit of a way out if you wanted a place to yourself. It is probably worth living in halls for your first year of Uni because of the social side of it, you can move somewhere cheaper in your second year.
Going to second brighton as being a great place to live. I live in london, and like it a lot, but there is no denying it is expensive. Even friends from NY complain about the cost of living in london.

Students in London get a bigger loan for the higher living costs, I don't know how it compares to the loan/living cost ratio in other places though. Also AFAIK most people get houses over a half hour tube ride away from the university, most of which are in Kensington where students cannot afford flats or houses - so London may well be cheaper to be in halls. I agree halls are worth it for the social aspect especially if you're on a corridor with shared bogs.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

When you guys say London is way too expensive, I assume you mean London itself. How about surrounding towns such as Staines (for instance) and stuff?

I can't help thinking of Ali G when I hear Staines mentioned.

London is a shithole full of guns and knives, and very expensive with incredibly rude people.

Unlike everywhere else?

I don't get the London hate, maybe it's due to that fact that I live in place even more expensive, so I'm biased, but living anywhere densely populated, will attract people and drag up housing prices, also I've always found Brits to be terribly polite, off course there's the odd ass whole, but those are everywhere.

The area around Bath and Bristol would probably a good option.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unlike everywhere else?
I don't get the London hate, maybe it's due to that fact that I live in place even more expensive, so I'm biased, but living anywhere densely populated, will attract people and drag up housing prices, also I've always found Brits to be terribly polite, off course there's the odd ass whole, but those are everywhere.
The area around Bath and Bristol would probably a good option.

Bad places for crime - London, Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool, Nottingham, Birmingham, Swansea. Obviously big cities have more crime than others, The further North you go the friendlier people are, and London is the worst for rudeness.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ London really is not that unfriendly. No worse than any big city really. I really don't think people are rude, certainly people don't stop and chat with random people in the street or on public transport, but that is just big cities.

Also not dangerous. Lived in and around London for quite a few years, never been robbed, never felt that it was particularly dangerous. Admittedly, I don't spend much time hanging out on the sort of estates where stuff actually is pretty bad, but I have spent time in some of the poorer areas and even then never felt I was particularly threatened. No one thinking of moving to London is going to be spending time in the sorts of areas you actually have to worry about crime.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads