• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When is the Next Ralph Lauren Sale?

vida

Reaction score
So Ralph Lauren in Lennox will not carry any of the new BL/PL luxury items? Just Polo and home? Surprising.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was at the RL store at Lenox Square in Atlanta and the SA I spoke with said that even that store is going to be ditching Black and becoming a Polo store.  Now mind you, Lenox Square is a definitive upscale mall: the Neiman Marcus three doors down has substantial dedicated areas for Kiton, Tom Ford, Brioni, Isaia, Cucinelli and Zegna (E, not Z).  The SA said (in a moment of candor) that customers treated the BL/PL sections as "museums" and it became tiresome to show stuff that the cx had no intention of buying.

I almost bought a brown BL cashmere cardigan at 40% off ($359), but I'm looking for a looser-fitting "throw it on as I'm walking out the door" piece and even on pathetically twiggy arms it required too much effort to don.  Saks had a fuller-cut linen/cashmere cardigan in navy but at full price ($295); if this one hits the sale rack when I'm at the Mansion in two weeks it's mine.

I've never really understood why PRL itself was such a massive umbrella, going from TJ Maxx horsey-emblazoned polo shirts and OCBDs to really nice US- and Italy-made tailored pieces (coughcough Preston trousers coughcough).  Perhaps with this upcoming split all the horse-slathered Third World **** will be positioned opposite 346 and Jos. A. Bank and the good stuff from the PRL line will be rebranded BL/PL and compete with Paul Stuart and the correspondingly-priced Italian houses (Canali/Corneliani/Zegna).

Interesting. I'm sure that RL decided it was time to change the business model. At first I thought that they were picking on Detroit (area). There's also a Neiman and Saks at the mall where the RL store was and I've wondered why they remain.

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm sure that RL decided it was time to change the business model. At first I thought that they were picking on Detroit (area). There's also a Neiman and Saks at the mall where the RL store was and I've wondered why they remain.

Tbh Neiman and Saks sell their fair share of low quality cr*p, just that their main customers are female shoppers most of whom don't care too deeply about quality of materials and construction as long as the styles are good/flattering.

Last edited:

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tbh Neiman and Saks sell their fair share of low quality cr*p, just that their main customers are female shoppers most of whom don't care too deeply about quality of materials and construction as long as the styles are good/flattering.

You're right - I was thinking of the men's selections, which isn't too good at either.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It makes sense from RL point of view. They are on business to maximise profit. Selling rubbish gives higher profit margins.I personally never paid full retail on PRL / RLBL stuff. Higher priced PRL /RLBL suits and SC was always available when sale hits 50%. Why? Because most general buyers never paid or couldn't afford buying at full retail. I always tell RL sales staff that I will wait for it to go 50% off as it will still be expensive for most buyers, and it will still be available!

Last edited:

ElementHU

Reaction score
I received and sent back the majority of items that I took advantage of during their 40 + 40 glitch that occurred serendeipitously while I was online after midnight on 5/27 when they switched promos to the 40% sale. While I've bought a lot of RLBL over the years, I'm thinking this change to merge RLBL and RLPL might not be a bad thing. The suits, sport shirts, etc. I returned were all RLBL because the quality was just lacking this time around for me. That said, the RLPL trousers and polo I kept were outstanding. I should have bought more of the RLPL when I had that brief window. :brick:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I received and sent back the majority of items that I took advantage of during their 40 + 40 glitch that occurred serendeipitously while I was online after midnight on 5/27 when they switched promos to the 40% sale. While I've bought a lot of RLBL over the years, I'm thinking this change to merge RLBL and RLPL might not be a bad thing. The suits, sport shirts, etc. I returned were all RLBL because the quality was just lacking this time around for me. That said, the RLPL trousers and polo I kept were outstanding. I should have bought more of the RLPL when I had that brief window. :brick:

Out of curiosity, which model suits did you order? I haven't seen any decline with the Anthony model, but I won't buy the Austin because I don't believe in half-lined suit jackets (casual sport coats, fine, but not suits). I'm guessing the goal was to get them made on the cheap and unfortunately they constitute more than half of what's on sale.

Dmanf51

Reaction score
The Anthony is most certainly not lacking in quality still made by Caruso still a mix of machine/hand sewed. The Austin on the other hand is a different story as you point out. They are predominate model this season which is why that is the bulk of what's on sale. I've heard the Anthony will remain after the merger of lines, and I hope that is true.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's wrong with half lined? That doesn't say much about quality, no? By the way Bloomingdale on 59th St have a peak lapel RLBL suit on sale for about 700

edit: size 36 Regular, navy pinstripe

Last edited:

ElementHU

Reaction score
My main complaint in quality were the sport and dress shirts, but was definitely not impressed with the Anthony Linen sport coat or the 2 Anthony suits I ordered. It didn't help that one showed up from a store folded and boxed vs. on a hangar in a garment bag. That said, the material on both Anthony suits were just meh for me and didn't feel worth even the steep discount at around 64% off. I did keep an RLBL Nigel trouser which at 180 was too good to return.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
interesting, were you getting the summer fabric by any chance? I think the RLBL suit winter fabric were all excellent

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My main complaint in quality were the sport and dress shirts, but was definitely not impressed with the Anthony Linen sport coat or the 2 Anthony suits I ordered. It didn't help that one showed up from a store folded and boxed vs. on a hangar in a garment bag. That said, the material on both Anthony suits were just meh for me and didn't feel worth even the steep discount at around 64% off. I did keep an RLBL Nigel trouser which at 180 was too good to return.

Out of curiosity, which Anthony suits did you try that you thought weren't particularly great?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's wrong with half lined? That doesn't say much about quality, no? By the way Bloomingdale on 59th St have a peak lapel RLBL suit on sale for about 700

edit: size 36 Regular, navy pinstripe

Just doesn't feel as substantial when it comes to a real business suit. It doesn't indicate lesser quality per se, but it indicates a more casual style and perhaps represents cost-cutting.

NickCarraway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, which model suits did you order? I haven't seen any decline with the Anthony model, but I won't buy the Austin because I don't believe in half-lined suit jackets (casual sport coats, fine, but not suits). I'm guessing the goal was to get them made on the cheap and unfortunately they constitute more than half of what's on sale.

Half- and skeletal-lining is usually more expensive to make because the seam stitching is exposed and therefore needs to be cleaner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads