• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whatever happened to mince pie?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about the meatless American variety, filled with chopped fruits, raisins and spices. Back when I was a kid and a young fellow, they were ubiquitous holiday season staples. I have noticed in recent years they have just vanished from the shelves. I was in the bakery department of a new, giant Whole Foods in my city getting pies and such for our Thanksgiving gathering, and I was told nobody buys 'em, nobody bakes 'em. Anybody have any idea why these delicious pies fell from favor and have all but vanished from American tables? I sure miss 'em!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, my wife and I made a selection of mince a few years ago - both the full English with suet and the works, as well as the American style. They....were not that good. On the other hand, we've been making Panforte di Sienna, which is an Italian version with nuts that everyone just loves and we send slices out with cookies and cards for Christmas, Great with Madiera or Barolo Chinatto. It is denser than what you are thinking of, however, more like a nougat than a pie. If you have an Italian grocery near you I'd look for a Panforte there (not a Panettone).

~ H

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was always fascinated by the brand of mincemeat that my grandmother used: None Such.

emptym

Reaction score
Our local grocery store has a small English foods section and I noticed that there were glass jars of mincemeat next to pie crusts there recently.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never even knew they used to be available in the US. We have them in every supermarket and corner shop from November onwards. I like them very much with brandy cream or butter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads