• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What type of clothing should I invest and skip?

yunBW

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a college student and in the past few months I have lost some weight and planning to build muscle sooner or later this year. So, some of my clothes doesn't fit well or my pants is just too loose. I'm thinking to buy clothes after I achieve my ideal body size, but I don't know what should I actually spend money on or what to do. I don't mind invest on quality clothing, but I want to make a smart investment and skip if needed. Also, I want to minimize the amount of clothes in my waredrobe and getting essentials or some "fun clothes". It would be helpful to get somebody suggestion from this forum.

Dress shirt (what color and how many dress shirt?): invest
Casual shirt: unsure
T shirt, polo, Henley: skip
Chinos: skip?
Denim: unsure (leaning toward invest)
Outwear: invest
Ties (I will only get few): unsure
Belt: invest

Thank you

Last edited:

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't buy anything expensive (to you) until you've been a stable weight/size for 6 months or so. As to what specifically, that's highly dependent on age, location, friend group, work dress code, preferred leisure, etc. A 30-year-old in a biz casual workplace who goes to sporting events and rock concerts on the weekends has radically different needs from a 30-year-old corporate lawyer who frequents the symphony and opera.

starro

Reaction score
Yes, best to know what line of work you're going into before nailing down which articles to concentrate on. Somethings straddle the casual-formal divide, and they are more likely to be found in most people's wardrobes: chinos, button down shirt, polo, loafers and derby shoes.

yunBW

Reaction score
Yes, best to know what line of work you're going into before nailing down which articles to concentrate on. Somethings straddle the casual-formal divide, and they are more likely to be found in most people's wardrobes: chinos, button down shirt, polo, loafers and derby shoes.

I have like 4-5 years before earning my degree, so some of my quality would've been done by that time I believe. I'm normally a smart casual person with some streetwear. So I assume investing into button downs might be a good choice? Thank you.

yunBW

Reaction score
Don't buy anything expensive (to you) until you've been a stable weight/size for 6 months or so. As to what specifically, that's highly dependent on age, location, friend group, work dress code, preferred leisure, etc. A 30-year-old in a biz casual workplace who goes to sporting events and rock concerts on the weekends has radically different needs from a 30-year-old corporate lawyer who frequents the symphony and opera.

I see. my body haven't change too dramatically more or less dropped some me body fats, but I will take into consideration. So, right now I should only buy "cheap" clothing and invest in expensive when I begin working? Or invest what I'm usually wearing smart casual with some streetwear? Thank you

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are planning to be a student for another 4/5 years you can afford to buy whatever you like - as long as it fits and is right for the climate, go for it.

Foli Creppy

Reaction score
First things first, find out what your ideal body type is and once you achieve it, work on maintaining it.

Will you have your chosen body type for the rest of your life? No, but you do want to maintain your weight/muscle mass for atleast a couple of years so you are not revamping your wardrobe every couple months for new clothes that will fit your current body type.

Once you are satisfied with your body type/weight. Then you should start to invest more heavily in your wardrobe. However, in the meantime, invest in accessories such as ties and watches,(things that aren't affected by your weight). That way you at least have a solid foundation of accessories to choose from once you do start building up your main wardrobe.

yunBW

Reaction score
First things first, find out what your ideal body type is and once you achieve it, work on maintaining it.

Will you have your chosen body type for the rest of your life? No, but you do want to maintain your weight/muscle mass for atleast a couple of years so you are not revamping your wardrobe every couple months for new clothes that will fit your current body type.

Once you are satisfied with your body type/weight. Then you should start to invest more heavily in your wardrobe. However, in the meantime, invest in accessories such as ties and watches,(things that aren't affected by your weight). That way you at least have a solid foundation of accessories to choose from once you do start building up your main wardrobe.

I wonder what accessories can I invest in other than ties, and watches. I will replace some of my belt sooner or later, but I can't think of accessories that I can invest in for a student (I have a pair of sunglasses). Thank you

starro

Reaction score
I wonder what accessories can I invest in other than ties, and watches. I will replace some of my belt sooner or later, but I can't think of accessories that I can invest in for a student (I have a pair of sunglasses). Thank you

If you can't think of anything to buy, maybe you don't need anything right now, and it's best to keep your wallet in your pocket.

Foli Creppy

Reaction score
If you can't think of anything to buy, maybe you don't need anything right now, and it's best to keep your wallet in your pocket.

I agree. If you can't think of anything. Then don't buy anything. Only buy things you feel you'll absolutely need or will use. It will keep you from wasting money.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paxy