• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to look for in wool pants?

swiego

Reaction score
I tried several searches and didn't quite find something about the following:

When shopping for high quality wool pants, setting aside style and fit issues (which vary from person to person) what are the things that I should be looking at or for to assess the quality of the garment? What are the signs of quality construction, durable design and long-term pride-of-ownership that I should keep my eye out for, and what are the signs of shortcutting that I should be wary of?

With dress shirts, I've come to recognize certain qualities that set apart higher quality items from the rest, but with dress slacks I'm not so sure. The next time I go to a NM Last Call or Brooks Brothers or wherever, and spend some time looking at different slacks, what are the things I should focus on?

(As an aside, I really wish there were a "signs of quality construction" sticky here with photo illustrations for various articles of clothing. That would be a tremendous resource.)

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
avoid wools that make your skin itch

OTM

Reaction score
Good question, OP! Hopefully there will be some enlightened answers after the sun kills the trolls

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously feel the quality of the material as others have said. Cheaply made pants try to cut costs by eliminating non-essential features that most better made pants keep. Fabric is expensive so check the seat, is there ample material to let out? If unhemmed is there sufficient length? If hemmed check the length and finish of the hem. Is the stitching visible from the front or not? Every added seam adds to the expense so check the waist, does the back of the waistband have a seam or not? (Some even have a V seam there, I don't remember what it's called.) This seam allows for easier tailoring should you need it. Count the belt loops, 8 is obviously more expensive than 5 and require extra time to sew on. (Unless they have side tabs which are usually signs of higher quality too.) Check the fly and front closure. Extra buttons or tabs here are an added expense but can help the appearance of the trousers from the front. Check the stitching too, some pants will have extra pick stitching which is obviously an added expense.

A cheaply made $25 pair of pants that fit will look better on you than a $250 pair that doesn't fit, but these are just some of the things I look for when shopping. The presence or absence of any of these details isn't a deal killer for me if I like them and they fit, but they are some guidelines of "signs of quality construction" for me anyway.

Fred

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I wish, inco are far too slim in the thigh for me!

I would like to add that I prefer flat front pants as opposed to pleats :)

there are some differently cut ones that are wider in the thighs and flat front.

I usually buy a size up and have them taken in as needed =)

Let me know if you need any help sourcing some!

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
I always look for the twist anything below 120's will not do for me. I also look for the cut and ft of the trouses as well.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tag that has '100% Wool' on it is probably a good thing to be looking for in wool pants. Don't want any of this polyester stuff do we?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A tag that has '100% Wool' on it is probably a good thing to be looking for in wool pants. Don't want any of this polyester stuff do we?

And to ancient israelites, wool / linen blends were against the law, punishable perhaps by stoning :devil:. Dont know what they would think of wool / poly blends? A slow drawn out stoning using only gravel or little rocks?

Last edited:

swiego

Reaction score
Thanks Fred, that was exactly the sort of information I was looking for.

I realize that fit, style, materials are key qualities, but when those meet a certain bar I still wish I knew more about pant construction to recognize signs of quality work, or signs of shortcuts.

Some other questions,
- What should I look for vis-a-vis lining? I assume silk? Minimum to the knees? How should the lining be finished?
- Anything to look for with the zipper?
- Is there anything special I should be aware of regarding how the pockets are stitched?

That sort of thing...

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks Fred, that was exactly the sort of information I was looking for.

I realize that fit, style, materials are key qualities, but when those meet a certain bar I still wish I knew more about pant construction to recognize signs of quality work, or signs of shortcuts.

Some other questions,
- What should I look for vis-a-vis lining? I assume silk? Minimum to the knees? How should the lining be finished?
- Anything to look for with the zipper?
- Is there anything special I should be aware of regarding how the pockets are stitched?

That sort of thing...

Incotex makes some great wool/cotton blend pants. If you need something specific, let me know so I can help you out!

swiego

Reaction score

Incotex makes some great wool/cotton blend pants. If you need something specific, let me know so I can help you out!

I know they do, or that everyone says that they do. I am trying to learn what it is that makes them so great, in terms of construction.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- What should I look for vis-a-vis lining? I assume silk?

Silk is rarely used for lining; it is expensive, wears out quickly, and does not breath very well. Usually Bemberg/Cupro/Acetate/Rayon (all different words for similar things) will be used.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads