• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to choose between Vass and Antonio Meccariello

Johnny80

Reaction score
have you check out the AM website as far as oxford goes it got plenty none "fashion forward" stuff...

I mean like (just pick a conservative color like medium brown/dark brown/black etc.)

Stop it man..now you are making me to want another pair of AM

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have been more specific. I never wear oxfords, captoes,
or brogues( wing tips) In general even AM's conservative shoes
are too pointy for my taste.
Agree on this one. If I weren’t after oxfords to wear with suits I wouldn’t buy anything from AM.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@boringbear

Got to say no way on that, hasn’t cut up an AM myself but their entire Argentum line is handwelt (machine sewn bottom) save for left over old stock, everything is done better than Vass on finishing wise.

as far as material wise I have always been impressed with AM leather, as far as “crust” goes it beats StC for sure, non crust wise for the few I have are all top notch

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agree on this one. If I weren’t after oxfords to wear with suits I wouldn’t buy anything from AM.

I hope you don’t have some split toe commission with him :stirpot: , the RTW one is like 850 euro with all the add on? Not the best value anymore but still pretty competitive though got to say for an Italian brand he is very rare for not having a lot derby models…

boringbear

Reaction score
@boringbear

Got to say no way on that, hasn’t cut up an AM myself but their entire Argentum line is handwelt (machine sewn bottom) save for left over old stock, everything is done better than Vass on finishing wise.

as far as material wise I have always been impressed with AM leather, as far as “crust” goes it beats StC for sure, non crust wise for the few I have are all top notch
ummm... I have seen more than 50 pairs of AM in every different line and a lot of Vass too. I'm kinda in the shoemaking industry my friend. Vass's shoes are fully handmade, not only handwelted then stitch the outsole by machine, and the upper leather quality is way better than AM in general.

QC is the weak part of Vass, and their finishing does look a little rough compared to most of the brands however they still make great shoes, and honestly, AM's finishing is kinda **** in my eyes. Don't think Imma type a thousand words here to just explain why I get this conclusion, believe it or not.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Within the “cheap” handwelt guys (AM, EB, Vass plus I guess OT/GCT/Xibao, ie the cheaper end of Chinese Hw guys) my personal experience (leather quality) definitely does not correlate with yours I have to say

Johnny80

Reaction score
AM at that price point has no rival..Vaas for me is more around TLB mallorca than its closer to carmina
Im pretty sure when AM get even more recognized..he will increase his prices right there with Bontoni prices. AM and Bontoni are work of art while vaas tlb mallorca or even carmina are the base go to for quality shoes
I dont know you and you dont know me, but from my experience of life when someone says to me that is in the x industry for a lot years, history made me more cynical in these days and made me not to trust until proven wrong of course. I saw people who are saying that they are auto-mechanics for a decade but they mess up when they change a car for oil, not talking about a gearbox or engine changing..
So, from my personal point of view and from a person that is using these kind of shoes almost 3-4 days per week i have to say AM is cheap compared to others for what they offer...and that is because he is still "small" and he is placing his profit more into shoes than into the marketing. clee is right 100%
It doesnt matter if its handmaded if those guys doesnt have the "know how" at the quality of AM himself

ViaSartoria

Reaction score

The quality is “so bad” I’m giving these AMs away!

*end sarcasm*

Honestly, there’s no one who offers the finish, the quality and the style that AM does at his price ranges. I say that as someone who is about to place an order for a pair of Vass, simply because they offer a pattern that I quite like.

You can’t go wrong with either brand, it all depends on what your preferences are. AM is more refined and fashion forward, Vass is more conservative and classic. AM has a higher degree of finish. Vass has beautiful museum calf. Either will last decades with proper care.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also prefer Vass to Antonio Meccariello. While I'm sure you can squeeze a pair of tasteful, sensible shoes from them, many of their customers seem to go wild with options, like guys who have too many options in custom suiting and end up ordering tight jackets with contrast stitching and linings. I feel like you have to really search to find a pair of Meccariello shoes that aren't garish.

Take a look at boringbear's IG. He has very good taste.

boringbear

Reaction score

The quality is “so bad” I’m giving these AMs away!

*end sarcasm*

Honestly, there’s no one who offers the finish, the quality and the style that AM does at his price ranges. I say that as someone who is about to place an order for a pair of Vass, simply because they offer a pattern that I quite like.

You can’t go wrong with either brand, it all depends on what your preferences are. AM is more refined and fashion forward, Vass is more conservative and classic. AM has a higher degree of finish. Vass has beautiful museum calf. Either will last decades with proper care.

Seems you guys don’t like my comment on AM, I recommend you guys to check out Vass’s book, check Marcell Mrsan’s IG, or even just take a look at Anthony Delos’s YouTube shoemaking video, once you know how a well finished pair of shoes been made, you won’t say AM does a nice job on finishing.

I have checked AM’s workshop in person back in 2014 (visited other makers like Bestetti too, too bad that he’s not here anymore), and I have seen many of his works in person, never consider to have a pair for myself.

And honestly I have bias on this guy since he copied some of my friends designs and claims that those are his originals, I’m not here to argue, let’s agree to disagree if you don’t like my opinions.

boringbear

Reaction score
I also prefer Vass to Antonio Meccariello. While I'm sure you can squeeze a pair of tasteful, sensible shoes from them, many of their customers seem to go wild with options, like guys who have too many options in custom suiting and end up ordering tight jackets with contrast stitching and linings. I feel like you have to really search to find a pair of Meccariello shoes that aren't garish.

Take a look at boringbear's IG. He has very good taste.
Personal taste is personal, but Vass offering fully hand stitched construction in that price is crazy enough. It’s totally different than just hand welted, much more reliable.

Thank you for your kind comment too, you’re too kind on this tho.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads