• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Longmorn

Reaction score
Those are sweet speakers... quite a beautiful design under the hood as well.

Thanks - I really enjoy them, and have yet to hear anything that sounds better to my ears. That said, there's lots I haven't heard. You also mentioned Pass Labs a couple posts back - I drive the Vandy's with the XP 20 into the X250.5, and the synergy is very good.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks - I really enjoy them, and have yet to hear anything that sounds better to my ears. That said, there's lots I haven't heard. You also mentioned Pass Labs a couple posts back - I drive the Vandy's with the XP 20 into the X250.5, and the synergy is very good. 

Whoa, you're a baller. Nice amps.

What are you using for a source?

Longmorn

Reaction score
Just a humble old Musical Fidelity A3.5 CDP. While it lacks some detail, it has a very organic sound with good imaging and works really well with the rest of the system. I've looked at some newer CDPs, but am leaning in the direction of a DAC instead. Just got to find the right one...at the right price.

Dorje

Reaction score
DACs are a moving target... not sure about spending big $ on one. But right now it would be either the AURALiC VEGA or YULONG DA8 depending on budget, imo. I have a Schiit Bifrost uber and it's a nice DAC but the Auralic crushes it.

Anyway... my system is OMEGA Super 3s run with a 6SN7 tube pre and EL34 SET amp. It works great in small rooms/nearfield. It doesn't do high volumes, but if that's not necessary the Omegas are some of the best speakers in the world regardless of price.

http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/

I also just started a biz, I'm starting with cables and will eventually move to amps. The cables are the best value in the industry bar none and are built with genuine UPOCC metals. I have no overhead and no middle man which allows me to offer a price 3-5x lower than typical. Sorry for the spam.

http://www.davescables.com/

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I seeking some advice-

I have nice tube amps and speakers. I have avoided vinyl since 1980 but want to put together a good sounding entry level turntable, cartridge and phono pre-amp.

I've considered a used Techniques. Or should I get one of the good, brand new starter turntables? If so which one? What cartridge? Also, what is the least expensive phono preamp options that will offer a nice warm sound?

I don't know how deep I would go back into vinyl. I have access to a lot of old, used records, but I doubt I will be forking over a lot of $$$$ for high-end reissues.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just a humble old Musical Fidelity A3.5 CDP. While it lacks some detail, it has a very organic sound with good imaging and works really well with the rest of the system. I've looked at some newer CDPs, but am leaning in the direction of a DAC instead. Just got to find the right one...at the right price.

You should switch to streaming! Lots of great DAC's out there now.

Hey guys, I seeking some advice-

I have nice tube amps and speakers. I have avoided vinyl since 1980 but want to put together a good sounding entry level turntable, cartridge and phono pre-amp.

I've considered a used Techniques. Or should I get one of the good, brand new starter turntables? If so which one? What cartridge? Also, what is the least expensive phono preamp options that will offer a nice warm sound?

I don't know how deep I would go back into vinyl. I have access to a lot of old, used records, but I doubt I will be forking over a lot of $$$$ for high-end reissues.

I pinged a friend for you...

A Rega RP1 is a great starter table. You might consider a Rega, Nagoka or Zu Audio cartridge. You need a tonearm too.

For phono pre's, if you want to spend, the Simaudio Moon 310LP is superb. NAD makes a starter that is like $200. Also Soundsmith at different price points.

HTH

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
this has been the most erudite tubes vs SS debate I have ever heard.

"There was an article in Stereophile I read but I don't have it any more and it said tubes are great."

"Guitar amps use tubes that's why you should use tubes"

"Michelin restaurants"

I don't know about you guys but I threw out my Plinius yesterday and I'm going straight out to buy me some tube **** tomorrow.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
this has been the most erudite tubes vs SS debate I have ever heard.

You seem to be selectively picking sides. It seems to me that it was the SS fan that informs himself based purely on other people's opinion marauding as academic info. I can only speak for myself, but my current choice of valves is based solely on what my ears tell me after 30 years of being an audio enthusiast.

I don't know about you guys but I threw out my Plinius yesterday and I'm going straight out to buy me some tube **** tomorrow.

Where does this attitude come from???? Get yourself into a snit if that's how you roll, but I don't think any tube enthusiasts ever suggested SS users should switch. Valve sound is just a flavour that I happen to like at the moment. Wasn't always that way, and may not be that way down the road, as both have their strong points based on the synergy of the system they are involved in.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't really intend to take sides. I've listened to some tube stuff and been very impressed. I liked it and would consider it. I do have SS equipment now, however.

Nonetheless, the arguments I've heard in this thread towards the tube stuff have been particularly unconvincing. Yes, I was lampooning. Sorry if that offended.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
idnfl - thanks! I went to Sterephile Recommended List 2013 and they said something similar. I think I will look aound eBay and see if anyone is selling an RP1 with upgrades at a good price. Chances are pretty good that once I take this step I will be looking to upgrade in a year or so.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

idnfl - thanks! I went to Sterephile Recommended List 2013 and they said something similar. I think I will look aound eBay and see if anyone is selling an RP1 with upgrades at a good price. Chances are pretty good that once I take this step I will be looking to upgrade in a year or so.

He probably used it as a reference, we both subscribe. He's nuts over phono... his table is one of those older Linn's but its all modified. I believe he has the Moon 5.3 pre.

I sold off my unit 2 years ago, I had an 80's AR, just too much hassle. It did sound great, though. Actually, the dude that sold it to me bought it back.

That Rega table is on ebay and audiogon 2nd hand all the time. I believe the older model is the P1.

Last edited:

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not dismissing anything, what I'm saying is there is a big difference between what equipment measures and what is audible. I know the research you point to, but I return to the car analogy which I am not sure you understood... you can (for argument's sake) measure 2 cars to be identical in all kinds of key metrics, but you drive them and they feel completely different. You can put a science hat on and claim its impossible since scientifically they measure the same, and I will say sure, they do but they cars feel completely different to me...

On the contrary, you obviously did not understand me in the slightest. You absolutely can not measure two cars identical in all quantifiable aspects that will feel different.

Here are useful articles on how dynamic measurements correlate to feel and feedback:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/measuring-handling-page-9
http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ering-a-comprehensive-comparison-test-feature

If they feel different, they measure different, period. There is not 6th-sense between car and man; it is fully tactile and obeys the laws of physics.

But ya, you sure can hear the difference in quality between a radio stream and a CD... and you can also measure it.
It seems to me that it was the SS fan that informs himself based purely on other people's opinion marauding as academic info.

Give me a break. The ABX tests are within strict adherence to the scientific method, and the 'other people' are well established with lofty credentials that make them much more of an authority on the subject than your own personal myopic standpoint.

The audiophile argument strongly parallels Science vs. Faith.

Anyway, I guess I'll go back to threads about shoes and leave you guys alone to continue your "which amp is good?" thread.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The audiophile argument strongly parallels Science vs. Faith.

In other words, you go buy the Best Buy stuff, I'll continue to fool myself and buy the nice ****. We're both happy. I appreciate all the science, but IMO its just not as simple as you make it out to be. I'll continue to maintain there is a difference between measurement and what's actually heard.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rodan11#