• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to chime in on what qualities are the most important to look for in choosing and amp? Link would be fine.
That Onkyo Integra posted above (M-504 maybe?) is one of my favorite amps in terms of aesthetics. I get such a thrill out of those huge VU meters.

Finally, another +1 for the Rega RP1. I've read good things about the Music Halls, but have never actually heard one.

I literally have an affection for analog meters that those amps instilled in me at a young age. It's really weird. I think they are the older M-503 actually.

Most receivers today don't have phono stages, but some integrateds do. You can always buy a relatively inexpensive outboard phono preamp that performs pretty well.

Ok.

Andre is right here. In fact the new Maggie line is slightly more sensitive to power, in other words easier to drive.

You can get a good NAD or Bellari phono stage for $200 so its not a big cost but as with anything else the more you spend, the more you get.

I will do some research on custom plinths and see what can be done there. Huntsman, can I assume you have some good woodworking skills?

AF, that last Rega is stunning! As is the Sota. You've given me some great ideas, thanks. And yes, I am a very competent woodworker; I like to specialize in smallish intricate things made out of fine materials,. but I also do larger things like desks.

~ H

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Huntsman,

Glad to help. A friend has just suggested to me that he believes bubinga wood is perhaps ideal as it is so dense so that should handle vibrations better.

Last edited:

Andrewc2232

Reaction score
The amps you look at are a function of the speakers you'll be using. More efficient speakers need less power and vice versa.

If solid-state, I usually look for 70+ watts, strong reputation, heavy build, quality materials, and dual-mono design if possible. It might be helpful to refresh yourself on THD (total harmonic distortion) and IMD (intermodular distortion). It's often hard to really judge an amp based on specs, but a quick comparison of distortion %'s at rated outputs will usually be a reliable indication of whether or not you're looking at a quality piece.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

The amps you look at are a function of the speakers you'll be using. More efficient speakers need less power and vice versa.

If solid-state, I usually look for 70+ watts, strong reputation, heavy build, quality materials, and dual-mono design if possible. It might be helpful to refresh yourself on THD (total harmonic distortion) and IMD (intermodular distortion). It's often hard to really judge an amp based on specs, but a quick comparison of distortion %'s at rated outputs will usually be a reliable indication of whether or not you're looking at a quality piece.

Agree with everything here except distortion numbers are not always a reliable indicator. That and an "audition" is the best bet.

Andrewc2232

Reaction score
And even if you captured it, now pass it on through another battery of amplification and through another set of speakers? Would have as much to do with how a system actually sounds as any other random sound clip. It would be nice, but if it were that easy the idea of auditioning equipment would change dramatically. Why go listen to some new speakers when I can download a sample?

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m happy with my current system with the exception of multi-room sound and the channel delay which is inherent with today’s digital systems.

Polk tower speakers, Denon amp with Velodyne sub. Took some work but the sound stage is seamless despite the room acoustics being very poor due to a lot of windows and of course the glass. The Denon\Polk combo is somehow perfect for classic rock and seems to always have been especially in Pure mode. I talked to a Velodyne Engineer for an hour on the phone to pick the sub which would match the system for a musical bias and we succeeded. Don’t miss the tube days or vinyl but to each their own. Ear fatigue can come into play for extended listening periods but at my age and history it is to be expected.

Growing up my parents used to always tell me to turn down that damn music. Now my 2 sons come up and ask me to turn it down. I reminded both of them that if they moved out it would not be a problem for them, or me. They haven’t said much about it since. For vibration isolation I use bags of lead shot:

At the price of lead these days I could sell the shot and pin the speakers on a marble slab then sprinkle magic Pixie dust on everything. Not the highest end system by any stretch of the imagination but it works for me.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Andrew and AF for the amp info.

Quote:
Huntsman,

Glad to help. A friend has just suggested to me that he believes bubinga wood is perhaps ideal as it is so dense so that should handle vibrations better.

Haha, that's pretty intense.Thanks. I have a wood reference book that I use for exotics (some woods need special finishing techniques or don't take glue well and whatnot) with the densities. I bet the ebonies or ironwood may even be more dense. Come to think of it, a turntable in Macassar Ebony (black, but with dramatic white and grey streaks) would be freaking awesome!

Growing up my parents used to always tell me to turn down that damn music. Now my 2 sons come up and ask me to turn it down. I reminded both of them that if they moved out it would not be a problem for them, or me. They haven’t said much about it since. For vibration isolation I use bags of lead shot:

At the price of lead these days I could sell the shot and pin the speakers on a marble slab then sprinkle magic Pixie dust on everything. Not the highest end system by any stretch of the imagination but it works for me.

Yeah, the price of shot has really gone stratospheric in the last few years. It's like un-buyable now.

~ H

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got the Beolit 12, nice sound quality made for portable, wifi sound.  
B & W headphones sound nice as well

I've been thinking about picking this up, but I'm wondering if it can be used for audio when playing a DVD from a computer as well. I know it has a USB jack, but my iMac only outputs in 3.5mm or optical. Would it play movie audio wirelessly?

I just purchased a Vintage Bang & Olufsen Beolit 609FM transistor radio. Near-mint condition, serviced by an old B&O technician.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DentonHelen