• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this is a dumb question: Is there a device I can store like 50GB of digital audio on so that I can play it out of vintage audio gear that is not an apple, and not a general purpose computer?
You're looking for a network-attached storage box, I think?

You can set up your own from commodity components, or there are plenty of audio companies that sell out-of-the-box solutions. Assume you already have a DAC to interface with the vintage analog gear?

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Huntsman I built a killer Roon ROCK server based on a NUK which I dropped in a fanless case. Change the bios settings to turn off all the extraneous functionality and it's a giant-killer. I dropped a fast SSD in the box, but still store my music on an external spinner as I have 8GB of music. For vast libraries, a NAS is the way to go, but I like to keep my server within USB reach of my DAC and fanless. Nevermind that -- as I am a Qobuz subscriber (high resolution / studio level) and stream music at > CD quality. Port that into my PS Audio Direct Stream DAC via USB (forked to separate power and data) and I can back out to any gear. In my case it's not vintage, but other than XLR connects might as well be (high-end Ayre gear).

If you can network a Roon ROCK server, it's a great way to go, absolutely improves the sound and all you need on the back end is a DAC and a way to connect the DAC to your gear. ROON is the best $500 you can spend and forget about forever. The only downside is lack of Spotify connectivity. Sound quality aside, that's a big drawback as the Spotify recommendation engine and interface win, IMO.

Last edited:

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I use Audirvana on OSX to output lossless music to a tube DAC. The software is pretty good, has some issues with multi-disc titles though. You can upsample files to the capabilities of your DAC. You can use a smartphone app to control things too. Being the cheapskate that I am, I baulked a bit at the price and tried the free stuff including Pine before during and after the Audirvana free trial, but in the end you do get what you pay for. Currently listening to Ken Burns Jazz.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, I got side-tracked, I meant to say that I received a Luxman D-103u tube CD player that has been 'lampizated'. Sounds pretty good.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume you have solid state amplification? I have a tube integrated and wouldn’t want any more tubes in my system. Mostly because of trouble shooting. Tracking down a noisy tube is a PITA.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a refurbished McIntosh MC2100. Probably around 50 years old by now. It is so better than I could have expected. I should have tried this long ago and saved $$$

99FCCE62-4BED-4F5B-8B9D-94FE986612F2.jpeg

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always found that amp to be a little dark

Indeed. My setup requires some roundness. Also my taste slants towards body and less detail.

I have always found that amp to be too expensive.

I went through enough tubes in my Jadis I50 in 2-3 years to almost pay for the MC2100. So I think for daily background music it’s worth the $$$. While the Mcintosh might not have quite the midrange magic of the Jadis, it’s still very satisfying. The absence of the blue lights saves me $$$ too.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
v2RbhX9.jpg

Had an old Technics SL-BD20 that belonged to my late grandparents sitting around the house Picked up a vintage Sansui receiver (it's basically a Sansui 6060) to play records on. I set it up on a bookshelf next to my desk, ran a RCA cable to a computer hooked it up to a set of Bose 301s that I had kicking around.

It's budget but still quite lovely

I eventually want to get either a Marantz 2285/2285b, a Sansui 8080/9090, or a Sansui G8000/9000 receiver. Not sure about speakers yet

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AF what’s the rest of your rig these days?

I just started dipping my toe into vinyl. I found a restored Thorens TD124 mk2 on Craigslist. Using a Schiit Mani because it’s cheap

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I added a Technics RS-1500 reel to reel. Despite being 5 years older than my Teac X-1000R, it looks much more modern. At least to me. It's all relative I guess. If you told me a year ago that I'd be playing big reel to reel tapes, I'd have told you that you were crazy. Having said that it was only 2 to 3 years ago that I was just streaming mp3s to my chromecasts.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of new Tannoy Legacy Cheviot. They’re amazing!

Attachments

• 4F502675-367A-4DE7-9AFC-4EF16CF4A3BE.jpeg
    4F502675-367A-4DE7-9AFC-4EF16CF4A3BE.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 114

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads