• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone of you have experience with the Devialet Phantom? Is it really that good or just hype? Thanks.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. At length.

'A new engineering that outperfoms all existing systems'

Incorrect.

'The best wireless speaker in the world.'

Possibly. That's not saying much.

It's Class D amplification and sounds it. Class D has come a long way, but this is brawn and sexy over subtlety and nuance. Not for me, I'm afraid.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

Yes. At length.

'A new engineering that outperfoms all existing systems'

Incorrect.

'The best wireless speaker in the world.'

Possibly. That's not saying much.

It's Class D amplification and sounds it. Class D has come a long way, but this is brawn and sexy over subtlety and nuance. Not for me, I'm afraid.

I really wanted to like the Devialet but the bass is quite boomy and the mids are just not smooth enough.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alas, it was expected. Hopefully they will be successful enough to continue develop their system. Perhaps their bass drivers could be incorporated into traditional speakers down the line. Devialet claim that SPL of recording is matching 1:1 SPL of their speakers is pretty impressive and I assume measurable.
I have not heard them in person but in HD videos they do sound pretty balanced.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Scored a pair of Spendor SP2's today (the original version). Sound fantastic, 9.5/10 condition, one owner. Overpaid a little, but I'm very happy with them. So now I need to let a set of KEF 104s go to make room.

Last edited:

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice pickup.

I am currently cross-shopping Integrated/DACs for my small listening room. If we don't get super snowed in this weekend I am going to try and demo the following: Hegel H80, NuPrime IDA8 or a IDA 16, Parasound Halo. The Hegel has incredible reviews.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nice pickup.

I am currently cross-shopping Integrated/DACs for my small listening room. If we don't get super snowed in this weekend I am going to try and demo the following: Hegel H80, NuPrime IDA8 or a IDA 16, Parasound Halo. The Hegel has incredible reviews.

I'm a creature of my generation, not to mention I like to look at a substantial stack of separate units.

Let us know what you like. An initial pass on that Hegel is interesting.

Going to wire up the Spendors this weekend to a Naim Nap 180/Nac 162 and demo them for a few weeks in my home office. With my Nait 3, they sound really nice, I'm impressed.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a creature of my generation, not to mention I like to look at a substantial stack of separate units.

Let us know what you like. An initial pass on that Hegel is interesting.

Going to wire up the Spendors this weekend to a Naim Nap 180/Nac 162 and demo them for a few weeks in my home office. With my Nait 3, they sound really nice, I'm impressed.

That's actually awesome. What are you driving those with (sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread).

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's actually awesome. What are you driving those with (sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread).

Right now? A Naim Nait 3, fantastic little integrated amp. I made the mistake of selling mine about 8 years ago, regretted it immediately, and then spent 2 years sourcing another:

This weekend I'll wire the Spendors to a more traditional Naim amp and pre amp combination and give the Nait back to my Linn Keilidhs.

Still on the lookout for a pair of Harbeth.

If anyone local to DC wants a pair of KEF 104/2, send me a PM.

Last edited:

MaxJ

Reaction score
In my opinion Bang O& Olufsen is the only way to go in my opinion. The sleekest design and top quality sound. I've just bought the Beolab 14 and couldn't be more impressed!

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my opinion Bang O& Olufsen is the only way to go in my opinion.

From the department of redundancy department ...

The Beolab 14 is certainly visually stunning, but in terms of audio performance you can do much better for the $$$. In my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics