• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also I have several records where the (superior) master mix cannot be found on digital formats (short of ripping the vinyl to digital).

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have heard very high end examples of both, and strongly disagree with this statement. Part of the challenge in defining the difference is A) accounting for the entire playback chain, B) accounting for synergy between components. Acknowledging those limitations, I think good digital sounds better than good vinyl...BUT, everyone hears differently so it is ultimately a matter of subjective taste. While this may be true for you, sweeping generalizations of this sort aren't justified.

But even more to the point - can we at least acknowledge that different people have different tastes, and avoid repeating the endless vinyl vs digital wars that bog down so many discussions of audio?

Re Apartment audio - I honestly don't know what you guys are talking about WRT full range being impossible. I've got Vandy 5As that push down to 20 Hz in an apartment and haven't had a single complaint playing a mix of jazz, classical, opera, blues, rock, and electronica.

#1, I sold my vinyl setup off. It's too cumbersome.

Digitial has caught it up, but its a subjective preference. I don't have the time and patience anymore to curtate a vinyl collection even though *I* think it sounds better. You just cannot replace that weighty, lush sound that comes from a record. A tube amp is a great analogy, tubes just have a different feel to them.

Re Re apartment audio... look, to make a long story short I would never enjoy full range speakers because *I* would constantly be worried the neighbors were hearing it. Its kind of like trying to enjoy a hike when rain keeps threatening.

Holy ****, that is one misinformed article. I suggest you might do a bit of better research. That piece doesn't even cite an author, probably out of embarrassment, and is just some random persons misguided notions.

Nyquist demonstrates that interpolating a sinusoidal wave through Redbook bit-depth reproduces an analog signal perfectly. You can't argue math.

Analog also has higher distortion, way worse snr, and consequently worse dynamic range.

Also, the aforementioned degradation of physical copy as you mention, along with a drastic difference in physical footprint to assemble a catalog of vinyl albums vs. a hard drive.

Some people enjoy the harmonic distortion that is added by things like tube amps/preamps, and vinyl pressings. This is subjective, however, and you can easily add the same effects digitally should you choose.

Objectively, digital can more faithfully reproduce recordings better than vinyl without introducing artifacts like higher THD.

Modern dithering and jitter management effectively abolish any perceivable drawbacks to digital.

It's hard for me to let it go when someone is calling the sky Green when it is in fact Blue. This isn't a subjective matter. Digital is objectively better in all aspects.

Dude, I just picked the first one I could find. There are 100's of them from more reputable sources. I chose something more dumbed down.

Math? Digital can't reporduce an analog sine wave perfectly. It may reach the point of imperceptible which is a distinction without a difference. Its like an LED TV, you can keep adding and shrinking the pixels but in the end they are tiny little squares.

I agree, digital has evolved a lot. But, that said, they don't sound the same to me, setup aside. I've listened to enough variations of equipment to feel confident in it.

Again, personal preference, I will say most audiophiles side with vinyl and its not nostalgia. Even my ex, with bricks for ears, prefered a vinyl representation of the same album over its digital counterpart.

**** what have I started.

I only asked coz I have a bunch of vinyl but no record player, was wondering what kind of reasoning you would've given for that statement.

This is an old debate. You didn't start it. You just lit a match in a forest in the middle of a drought.

Also I have several records where the (superior) master mix cannot be found on digital formats (short of ripping the vinyl to digital).

+1.

Also, today's recordings are getting so bad its beyond belief. Compression has ruined dynamics completely. You wouldn't believe how many albums sound an inch deep with no soundstage on a full range system.

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just put in my order for Salk Supercharged Songtowers. Very excited...

For now they will be powered with a Rotel receiver I have lying around. Going to build a Bottlehead Eros phono preamp and get back into vinyl for kicks.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Digital has [almost] caught it up, but its a subjective preference.

Yes.

Re Re apartment audio... look, to make a long story short I would never enjoy full range speakers because *I* would constantly be worried the neighbors were hearing it.

Yes.

Also, today's recordings are getting so bad its beyond belief. Compression has ruined dynamics completely. You wouldn't believe how many albums sound an inch deep with no soundstage on a full range system.

Yes

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm reviewing a digital system right now that almost makes me forget my vinyl, it is that good.

And then, I go put a damn record on.

Reviews will be up later this month.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm reviewing a digital system right now that almost makes me forget my vinyl, it is that good.

And then, I go put a damn record on.

Reviews will be up later this month.

Wow... post it when you can

lbcgav

Reaction score
Ok, I haven't been to Styleforum in a while and I think I'll sidestep the analog vs. digital discussion. Here's my setup:

Receiver: Restored Sansui 8080DB
DAC: Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11
CDP: Cambridge Audio Azur 540D
TT: Thorens TD 160
Reel to Reel: TEAC A-2300S
Phono Pre-amp: Cambridge Audio 640P, modded with new OP amps, capacitors & power supply
Speakers: Re-capped, & restored KLH Model 6

I really love this current setup. It sounds great and is just a lot of fun.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this as a budget vinyl setup? I want the most bang for around 1500 bucks (or less). It's mostly for rock music.

NAD C316BEE amp ($400)

NAD PP-2I phono preamp ($150)

Pro-Ject Debut carbon turntable ($400)

Epos Epic 1 speakers ($600)

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What do you guys think of this as a budget vinyl setup? I want the most bang for around 1500 bucks (or less). It's mostly for rock music.

NAD C316BEE amp ($400)

I dont know the TT and the speakers but the NAD's are designed for such a budget. I had a 316 about 10 or 12 years ago. Its a solid amp.

lbcgav

Reaction score

NAD C316BEE amp ($400)

I think before you go out and buy anything, you should become a member of Audiokarma and ask this same question. You could even end up buying something off of another forum member in your area. I'm sure you'll get a lot of different answers. I think you'd be happy with what you're proposing to buy, but I personally would go with something vintage. Of course, I'm a little biased in that regard. I think for $50 extra bucks, however, you'd be happier with a Musical Fidelity V-LPS phono preamp over the NAD.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you haven't done vinyl before I'd almost say you should check out the orbit TT on kickstarter. Seems like a killer deal for a starter table. Spend the rest on content and then you can decide if it is worth investing / upgrading.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, it's for my sister, who has lots of records but a terrible stereo. I've had a Pro-Ject Debut III Phono SB for the past 5 years and I really like it. It's discontinued though and I don't have any experience with the Carbon. I'd be extremely wary of buying a turntable on kickstarter. I also have Epos ELS8 speakers but, again, they're no longer in production. My personal search for affordable gear has led me to these brands (NAD, Pro-Ject, Epos) but there are surely other good options out there. Vintage gear can be great but there's some risk involved and you need a reliable repair shop. I want something with no hassles.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Actually, it's for my sister, who has lots of records but a terrible stereo. I've had a Pro-Ject Debut III Phono SB for the past 5 years and I really like it. It's discontinued though and I don't have any experience with the Carbon. I'd be extremely wary of buying a turntable on kickstarter. I also have Epos ELS8 speakers but, again, they're no longer in production. My personal search for affordable gear has led me to these brands (NAD, Pro-Ject, Epos) but there are surely other good options out there. Vintage gear can be great but there's some risk involved and you need a reliable repair shop. I want something with no hassles.

You can safely add Rotel to that list.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members