• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What shirt brand(s) did business people use in the 50's and 60's?

Patrician

Reaction score
Watching Mad Men and Donald Draper's stack of white french cuffed shirts in his office desk and the somewhat impeccable style he and his co-workers has made me wonder what brand(s) the american middle class used in the 50's and 60's when it came to white business shirts?

I highly doubt that they spent ~ $150 on shirts as many people do today.

Patrician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
There was high end and low end just like any other time period.
Sure, but did the middle class really spend money on high end dress shirts? I have a feeling they all went to brooks brothers and bought ten white shirts and that was it.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrician
Sure, but did the middle class really spend money on high end dress shirts? I have a feeling they all went to brooks brothers and bought ten white shirts and that was it.

You "have a feeling"?
In the 50's in St. Paul there were a dozen men's stores downtown selling "beter than department store" goods. Now there is one.

mp3_aholic

Reaction score
With regards to the show--Madison Avenue Ad agencies were only a few blocks from the BB store on 44th street. Brooks also had a thriving mail order business at that time.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Keep in mind that well-known clothing "designer brands" became popular in the 70s.

Prior to that, people bought at stores, and the brands or designers were far less well known.

Stores had buyers who either purchased directly from factories they knew and trusted to the store's specifications, or designers went from store-to-store (i.e., the trunk show) and the store bought from the designers and slapped store labels on things. That's why when you see vintage stuff, it often has the name of the store in big letters (e.g., BONWIT TELLER) and either has the maker in small letters (e.g., Brioni) or not at all.

In the current structure, the store has been replaced by the licensor (e.g., Ralph Lauren) who does a similar job that the stores used to fill (buying, labelling), or, less often, the makers have taken a marketing role (e.g., Oxxford).

Also keep in mind that a lot more men went to tailors. The guys on Mad Men would've more likely bought shirts from their local shirt-maker, with the bosses spending a pretty penny ($25?) and the peons spending a pittance ($5 or $10?). After that, I believe the well known brands were stores like Brooks, Arrow, etc.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's very interesting Mr. Magoo. Thanks for the info. I did know that Arrow was huge back then also Paul Stuart and J. Press.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
modern "branding" was literally invented in the Mad Men era (P&G, soap operas, etc). Prior to that it was far more likely for a person to buy from a variety of sources without a huge concern for what brand it was. They probably wouldn't even really understand the question "what are your favorite brands of clothing?"

Millerp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Anne? She's pretty high-end now.
LOL
laugh.gif
hathaway_eyepatch.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads