• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What properties to look for in a sweater that won't shed on shirts?

bugmenot2

Reaction score
I bought a cashmere sweater from bloomies for over $200, it was a Joseph and Lyman, to wear with my business casual wardrobe. The thing shed like crazy, which is not something I would have expected at that price level.

What can I look for in a sweater that would be good for wearing over dress shirts? Does all cashmere shed like this? What about wool? Is it just a matter of material or is there something in the construction that I can look for?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many times have you worn it?

And really, who cares if it sheds as long as it look good?
smile.gif
Don't take it off during the day and then launder the shirt. No problem.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cashmere comes in many different quality levels. Higher quality cashmere has longer staple fibers, minimizing pilling and shedding. You just have to spend more on sweaters from the right makers. You're better off with a nice merino wool sweater than buying a cheap cashmere one. My fiancee's cashmere sweaters from J. Crew are terrible compared to the cheaper, wool ones.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You could turn it inside out and use a sticky lint roller all over it. (I'd use one that's been used a little so it's not super sticky.) This will get most of the loose fibers off the inside of the sweater.

Also, a wash (do a search) seems to get rid of a fair bit of lint from new sweaters.

bugmenot2

Reaction score
i returned that sweater, i don't want a workaround, like using lint brush etc.

I'm gonna buy a new sweater. All I'm asking is: what can i look for in the sweater's description that will let me know it won't shed on my shirts.

someone suggested "quality" but the description says "quality" a lot of the time but it doesn't help me. also, i thought the one I purchased was pretty expensive for me.

i'm not opposed to cotton sweaters or cotton blends, would that help?

thanks

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
$2-300 retail for a cashmere sweater is objectively a fair bit of money, but it's not near the higher end of the scale. But I've seen some sweaters that retail for $5-600+ shed on shirts.

Cotton will not likely shed, at least I've never seen it. You could look for merino wool also, as the fibers seem to be longer or at least less "sticky" and likely to come off on things.

Reborn

Reaction score
I picked up one of those on a pretty good sale and it shed for the first few wearings but has almost completely stopped. The first few wearings I just paired it with shirts that I didn't mind washing right after wearing and didn't take the sweater off.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A nice long fibered wool like Merino should not shed.
You could also try cashmere silk blends, as they are "armed" with the stronger and slicker fiber (silk) they tend to shed less. The surface on both, merino and cashmere/silk is smother and slicker so they would be valid options IMO

Speed

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads