• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

worst disappointment for me would be Prometheus. I remember being really pumped that Ridley Scott was going to revisit the franchise and then i saw the trailers and somehow i convinced myself that it was going to be a Great Movie (i'd put the original Alien on an all-time list). and then the beginning is like this sweeping crystal landscape and i was saying to myself oh man this is gonna be good. and then they spend the whole movie in a cave.

Alien ('79) is on my personal top 10, and that opening scene of Prometheus was as spectacular as the rest of the thing was stupid (I even went to see it at the cinema 3 times - for the visuals and to compare the 2D to the 3D versions).

And speaking of the opposite of great, I thought I'd see if this one could be as bad as the reviews claimed:

- if anything it's worse. Bad story and characters aside, it seems like it deliberately tried to top it's own stupidity every few minutes...

Starts out with a flash-back way back to 2007, a time where people only had CRT screens and did their programming in BASIC.

It reveals that The Thing's catch phrase 'It's clobbering time!' actually was what his brother said when he beat him up as a kid(!).

You know the black kid is street-smart because he does drag racing, doesn't want to wear a lab coat and tells the other scientists to untuck their shirts.

Reed, on the other hand, is nerdy so he wears glasses and doesn't know how to fist bump.

He also takes selfies.

Halfway through something goes wrong, and the movie turns into Cronenberg like body horror. But only for a few minutes, because then we jump a year ahead, and everybody is feeling pretty good.

Somebody thought it was a good idea to have the corporate baddie chewing gum in every scene, which interferes with his line readings. Even when he's doing a big presentation to get more funding.

For some reason Doctor Doom looks like a Husk from Mass Effect, only green instead of blue.

And it ends with that obnoxious thing where the heroes have to close down a big beam of light going up into the sky, which most of the big recent sci-fi flicks seems to think is a brilliant idea for the final act (Avengers, etc).

- Thankfully, it bombed spectacularly.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember Prometheus being presented as a *deeply philosophical* film probing the origins of human life -- and then the actual movie was like this:

"Hey, I wonder where people came from."

"Oh. They came from *slightly larger people*. From outer space."

My mind was not blown.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^

yeah. best part was when they finally meet the progenitor and ask it "why"? and he gets annoyed that his stools are trying to hold a conversation with him.

the upshot for me was it gave me a yen to sit down with Lawrence of Arabia.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And speaking of the opposite of great, I thought I'd see if this one could be as bad as the reviews claimed

I did the exact same thing a while back. It truly was terrible.

rossoz

Reaction score
Someone earlier mentioned walking out or not walking out of movies. I have tried to watch these two and have either walked out or turned them off at least twice- REDS and RAN. I kept going back based on the reviews. I should learn to trust my first judgement of movies.

Cheers,

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wrong ass thread, but is season 3 any good? I watched most of the first episode and it seems it largely deals with the teen chick who I have no interest in.

Yeah, I know. Thought I'd throw a curve ball in here. My take, if you stuck through two seasons already, you want to take it to the end. The TC still features here and there but it is mostly about psych battle between the leads later on. Not to spoil anything, I'd continue. ;)

Last edited:

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of (13) ghosts reminded me of this one.

First seen this when I was about 10, I think. Still holds up quite well. Or maybe also a case of fond childhood memorabilia.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember Prometheus being presented as a *deeply philosophical* film probing the origins of human life -- and then the actual movie was like this:

"Hey, I wonder where people came from."

"Oh. They came from *slightly larger people*. From outer space."

I love this comment. Feel like I´ve read from a few other people.

I also watched the new Fantastic 4, but gladly caught it halfway through. I knew it was trash but wanted to see how bad it was... It ended and I had no idea why that movie got made. There was nothing entertaining in it, there was nothing funny in it.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of inexplicable and not entertaining movies, I also watched the new Independence Day and X-Men Apocalypse. I'd say that was five hours of my life that I ruined, but they were on long flights, so I wasn't really going to do anything productive anyway.

Nonetheless, I'm starting to feel slightly ashamed of my viewing choices. I should re-watch Casablanca or something, just as a palate cleanser...

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Name of the Rose. 1986. Benedictine monk Sean Connery and apprentice Christian Slater sleuth a suspicious death in a medieval abbey.

i'm hoping to watch more new-to-me films from here on out and plan on mining many of the threadly suggestions.

Nikos

Reaction score

I had forgotten I had already watched this.
I never really liked Delon playing the super cool guy, but I enjoyed it and think I understand why this is a classic. It establishes this immersive style from the very first scene, and sticks to it until the end.
It is also very well shot.
Might watch more Melville.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads