• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is in your opinion the most stylish pair of classic sneakers?

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Can I throw in a vote for Rod Lavers? Are they old enough for "classic" status yet? I finally got a pair this summer and I love them.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Superga Classic
Spring Court B2
Tretorn T56
Chucks

Grainraiser

Reaction score
Chuck Taylors will always be the classic that everyone inspires to be. I prefer them in a red hightop because that's what I grew up on.

BareSolid

Reaction score
I have become interested in these 'Chuck Taylor' trainers.

There appear to be two 'whites', however. One is a creamy white (simply called 'white') and the other a stark white (called optical white). Both have the red and blue detailing. Which is recommended? I'm leaning towards 'white' rather than 'optical white' but await your advice nevertheless.

Thanks, one and all.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keds. The Duke of Windsor wore them!

Or the original Lacoste (the very slim model with the reinforced toe).

ma1

Reaction score
I don't understand why people love the aesthetics of chucks so much and never will.. they just remind me of clowns. Maybe I had an early traumatic experience at the circus.

wmjarrell

Reaction score
BS--they won't truly be chucks until you've walked a few holes and some discoloration into the fabric anyway. That said, I have some trusty low-tops in the "white"/cream that I have been wearing since 2005 and which are wonderful and will never die. I recommend.
fistbump.gif

Something else I recommend--insoles, to protect your arch. chucks are very spare in that department, to put it judiciously.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmjarrell
BS--they won't truly be chucks until you've walked a few holes and some discoloration into the fabric anyway. That said, I have some trusty low-tops in the "white"/cream that I have been wearing since 2005 and which are wonderful and will never die. I recommend.
fistbump.gif

Something else I recommend--insoles, to protect your arch. chucks are very spare in that department, to put it judiciously.

Thanks, will do.

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Chucks have no support inside the shoes
frown.gif
They are made the same as they were 50 years ago and sold for $6.99

That's a plus for some people, John Varvatos even moreso since the insoles can be taken out and the shoes worn without them.

I think I'm a bit on the young side to be able to gauge what's really classic and what's just classic styled.

I strangely like White Feiyues, I think largely since they really haven't changed so it's less of a case of being classic and more a case of not changing production in 70 years, as other shoes with similar characteristics I don't like (particularly the rubber toe cap).

Fred Perry has some sneakers I think are stylish and have something of a classic look.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1 on Purcells, Superga

and if I may add: Onitsuka Mexico 66, Asics Corsair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads